Niagara Lakers: It wasn’t meant to be…That’s OK…

MJL

Over the weekend, my family decided they wanted to go over to Buffalo, NY to do some shopping which for me means only one thing…It’s the perfect opportunity to head out to one of the most beautiful and scenic rivers this province has to offer :thumbsup_anim: . The usual plan involves my family dropping me off at the Niagara river in the morning, crossing the border and then picking me up in the afternoon/evening when they’re done shopping.

I’ve fished the Niagara 4 times for carp and 2 times for steelhead. I’m still learning my way through all that water. Figured the water was probably still too cold for carp – I brought my steelheading gear with me instead. I’ve only caught one laker before – By accident out of the Ganny – I really wanted to catch another one.

Saturday night I fiddled around with some floats to see how much weight each one will take. For comparison, the floats on the far left of the pic are the ones I use for 98% of my float fishing for steel. Certainly a big difference.

DSC_5185.jpg

I also popped into the local tackle shop to pick up some big split shots, hooks and a small variety of soft-plastic minnow baits in a few sizes and colours.

Picture005.jpg

Sunday morning at 5am, I stuff: my waders, wading boots, lunch, snacks, water bottle, sunscreen, minnow net + small bucket and a map of the Niagara gorge into my hiking pack and I rig up my float set-up.

My family dropped me off at the river at 9am and left me there. The Niagara is certainly a lot different than just about every other river I fish for steelhead. Tried a few different areas and stretches without luck. I walked quite a bit and the heel of my wading boot fell off. No fish were hooked in the morning. I also tried catching my own minnows but even though there were hundreds swimming by the shore, I only managed to catch 2 in a dozen or so netting attempts – They’re quick buggers :lol: . (both of them subsequently fell off my hook on the cast)

Stopped at one spot that looked promising. Stuck a plastic minnow on the hook and a few drifts later, I get something that bull-dogs around and stays deep for 7 minutes…Laker? Carp?

Not quite…Can’t be disappointed with some steel. Beauty hen around 9lbs.

DSCN0002-2.jpg

Biggest one of the day – Perhaps the biggest hen I’ve caught so far this year. She was a handful on the bank. Also caught her on a soft-plastic minnow bait.

DSCN0009b.jpg

In the afternoon, I hiked around the whirlpool before I had to leave. The scenery is just gorgeous and I don’t think I will ever get used to how beautiful it is.

DSCN0012-1.jpg

One day I’ll take a ride up there…Perhaps when I get over my fear of heights :lol:

DSCN0015-1.jpg

Managed to catch a few steelhead (lost a few too) and landed 1 OOS smallie around 3lbs. All but one of the fish I got into yesterday hit the plastic minnows I brought with me - one fish I lost hit a big pink worm. Spoke with a few other anglers and the action was also a bit slow for them too. Also ran into another OFC member on his way down to the river – Josh, it was nice meeting you.

Lakers were nowhere to be seen. I’ve been told they come into the river to feed on the minnows. I tried lures (like kwikfish and big unweighted spinners) and various minnow imitations + spawn sacks + whatever baits I use for steelhead but just couldn’t get one on nor did I see anyone else catch one. My family picked me up at 6pm. Was tired and a little sore from my trek down by the river (and especially back up to the road) but it was well worth it…Still tired and sore today...Anyone up for giving me a massage? No rough hands please :D

Hope you enjoyed

the steelhead are calling for you haha. That's a pretty one u got there, must have been a fun fight especially at the whirlpool.

Randy and I both managed 2 on saturday morning, nothing over 20 though.

Looked like a good day anyways. Live on the river so PM me if you need advice on the lakers. They seem to hold in certain areas and if your a few feet off its a tough go.

Thanks NJ for that. I'll give you a shout if I'm heading down that way. A few places I fished on Sunday I had a bunch of snotty green sludge collecting on my hook and split shots. I've never seen it before. Is this normal? I've fished the Niagara in early may for steelhead and July-Sept for carp and I've never encountered anything like that before.

Great report and pics Mike :thumbsup_anim:

You're going to have to get a grip on that steelhead cravings of yours :lol: :lol: J/K

Excellent job Mike!!! doesn't get any better than that :clapping:

Jacques

I was craving lakers...Honestly :lol:

At least with the warming temps, the carp should be stirring in my local swims in better numbers. Not to forget the seasonal mini-skirt 'hatch' which should be upon us very soon...That should take my mind off of steel as well...Already saw a small run of them down in the gorge - No wonder I missed some of the hits. :lol:

Real nice report and pics MJL!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

I don't know about you, but my targeted species is whatever is biting!!! ;)

If I go for Crappie and the Catfish are biting, the species target automatically changes!!! :lol:

You didn't get skunked for all that hard work hiking around and you made a good report, a vey good day in my book!!!

Sounds like a great day!! I gotta say the more and more I read about float fishing the more interested I get. I did recently buy a 8'6" heavy casting rod with a level wind reel to use on the rivers up here, but I don't think it'll compare to the center pinning you guys go. Thanks for sharing the report, they're always pleasant to read!

That gorge is quite the hike (to say the least).

If my ashes don't make it to the Skeena river in BC, I hope the Fed-ex guy can make the hike down the gorge to deliver my ashes there :lol:

Sounds like a great day!! I gotta say the more and more I read about float fishing the more interested I get. I did recently buy a 8'6" heavy casting rod with a level wind reel to use on the rivers up here, but I don't think it'll compare to the center pinning you guys go. Thanks for sharing the report, they're always pleasant to read!

8’6” is a little short for float fishing some of the bigger rivers but it’s certainly do-able for small to medium sized ones in BC. The average size float rods most guys run out west is 10’6” - 11’3” and many times they’re fishing much bigger rivers than what we fish here with our 13-15’ rods. A baitcaster has the same option of free spooling that a centrepin has and you can probably achieve the same amount of control too by trotting the spool with your thumb or adjusting the free-spool tension knob on the reel – Ask Spiel, he runs a baitcaster for his float fishing now.

Your set-up sounds like it would work well for tossing spoons (and other lures) and bottom bouncing rivers which can also be deadly for steelhead/salmon (many times even more deadly than float fishing). I’ve got an 8’6” Shimano baitcaster myself (older Shimano Convergence 8-17lb) and I’ve hooked a fair number of fish with it tossing hardware. I say go for it :thumbsup_anim:

Pack the steelhead gears already.... carp are calling for ya! But those are nice fish too ;-)

I accidently forgot to pack one of my float rods in storage :D Depending on the conditions, my dad and I might be making a trip for carp during the weekend...Not exactly sure where or when though.

Nice to meet you too man. FYI, I only hooked one bow (on a crank), the bite was tough that day saw three fish hooked from when I arrived until last light. Funny you say you were craving lakers b/c I was as well.