New to the board, Saugeen Advice

Banger68

Hello everybody. I'm new to the board and thought I would introduce myself.

I have a place on the Saugeen River between Hanover and Durham. Now I'm usually a Bass/Panfish/Toothy Critter fisherman, but I've heard that there is supposed to be good Trout fishing in this part of the river. I've caught Smallmouth and Rock Bass and the kids enjoy the Chub fishing but I can't get close to the Trout. They are easily spooked and the few that stick around are not biting. Anybody fish this portion of the river?

Edited by Banger68

Yup,

There are some good stretches all along there but its hit and miss.

I used to fish the geener alot with my dad when I was young, and I had a trailer in the Durham Conservation area years ago so I've fished that stretch from Durham to Hanover many times....heck I've fished that river all the way to Chantry Island LOL!

Anyway,

To say they are easily spooked is an understatement LOL!

I've caught my fair share in that area before, and to be honest its text book spec fishing.

Most of them are smaller, but I've seen them in the 17-18" range before.

Any Eddies behind the big rocks, or fallen logs is prime, but be sure not to attack the structure like you would with bass though....cast away from it, and swing it across the eddies, and you'll do well. Small panther martins, and blue Fox Vibratos were always my favorite in strait silver, or blue and silver, unless you dawn the fly gear...but thats a whole nuther ball game.

Also,

Learn the local holes...

That stretch is pretty shallow most of the way down, so focus your efforts on water that holds fish when the weather warms up.

And definately make sure you hit the mouths of any feeder creeks and try walking them a bit as well if they have a good flow....

(the biggest specks I've seen on the geen were in the creeks behind beaver dams That were not visible from the main river)

Cheers,

I have found several deep holes, actually have a spot in front of the cottage that is 12' deep. But has never produced trout. I found a couple larger fish upstream a bit but they ignore the Panther Martins I'm using mostly. I caught a few 6" specks downstream a bit, but haven't caught another out of that hole again. The river changes a fair bit from year to year.

I tried walking the river, but that usually spooks up the fish when I'm 40' away. These fish are certainly a challenge.

I'm thinking of putting my inflatable pontoon upstream and float down on the spots. Maybe I'm not being finesse enough for these fish.

Edited by Banger68

Welcome to the board. I spent a great deal of my youth on the waters between Durham and Hanover at my best friends cottage, I wonder if that's yours now?

Anyway there are definitely some good trout in your area, but the big'ns (browns) are mostly nocturnal. You could try fishing the bigger pools at night with big rapalas or similar minnow baits.

I'm in the valley in a area with 6-7 cottages. I have a small cabin on one side and a larger one across the river. It came with an old Massey tractor for moving stuff around. I bought it about 8 years ago. There are not many cottages in the area and I feel fortunate to have got this one when I did. The conservation authority isn't allowing new cottage construction any longer.

I've never tried fishing at night. Have to make sure I don't snag the resident beaver. She swims around the pools in the evening with the young ones.

I'm in the valley in a area with 6-7 cottages.

I'm not to sure where that is, it's been a few years. I'll try to scan and post a picture of the old cottage when I get a chance. Perhaps you'll recognize it.

I tried walking the river, but that usually spooks up the fish when I'm 40' away. These fish are certainly a challenge.

Yup...its a challenging river for sure.

Wading the river is always tough to be quiet with that rocky bottom LOL!

I use more of a "run and gun" approach....in other words I'd hike it in on shore, then cut in to the holes, and slowly work the area, and keep my "in water treks" breif, then move along to the next hole on shore away from the banks.

But yes your 100% correct that river changes year to year....those heavy spring flood waters move a lot of the gravel, silt, shoreline, and fallen wood pretty effectively.

You'll never get board of that river though,

So many opportunitys in the stretch...that river holds a lot of fond memorys for me.

I haven't fished it in 2 years now, but its on the list this year :)

just to chim in and agree with the comments already posted....you might find this hard to believe but there are still tight bows comming in ...if you make the drive down to the dam/lakemouth stretches ...im sure youll be very happy with the production...its a totally mix bag time of year...carp musky bass bows (droppies and fresh) specks and the odd sucker still....i missed one brown but being only one out of hundreds of fish i landed this year i wouldnt focus too hard on them ....to say the least its been a stellar year...

Good Luck ...and Welcome to the Board

Okay here's a picture of my friends cottage taken some 30 years ago (damn!). It is (was) located on the north side of the river about half way between the Saugeen Cedars campground and the old iron bridge (it's nowclosed to traffic). In fact the new bridge would darn near be on top of it if it's still there?

gallery_9_87_28127.jpg

Look familiar to you (anyone)?

We used to fly fish the river back then getting many rainbows a few specks and the occasional big brown. Weighted nymphs fished through the riffles took most of the fish. Fond memories indeed. :)

Okay here's a picture of my friends cottage taken some 30 years ago (damn!). It is (was) located on the north side of the river about half way between the Saugeen Cedars campground and the old iron bridge (it's nowclosed to traffic). In fact the new bridge would darn near be on top of it if it's still there?

gallery_9_87_28127.jpg

Look familiar to you (anyone)?

We used to fly fish the river back then getting many rainbows a few specks and the occasional big brown. Weighted nymphs fished through the riffles took most of the fish. Fond memories indeed. :)

I know the girl in the passenger seat...........