Sask Fishing Report

holdfast

After two Weekends trying Fish Lake, Ive come to realize it should be Called Fish-less Lake. Not even a hit on the FFinder. Talk around town is SPIEL and his Clan were in there eating anything and everything that swam. Joking aside, it may of been netted out as a local told me. After a cold couple of weeknds, we actually had a day that you could go shirtless. Our first.

P5170005_01.jpg

P5090018.jpg

Friday I got into Big River around 7 PM and loaded up the boat into the truck and got to the Boat Launch within 2 minutes. Guaranteed pike, how ever Ive never caught anything other than small pike. As usual the folks were harvesting pike by casting off the Dock. Guys drive 3 hours from Saskatoon just to fish off the dock. Lots of good keepers that were kept for meals.

It was rather Chilly and I figured I may have two hours of Daylight. I really felt cramped in on the small boat but man does that 9.9 Yamy ever boot.

It wasn't long before I got my limit of Pike. I would keep two as they should Taste good in the 50 degree water.

My plan was to test run my Honda 15 Hp and then head to Hackett to catch some Pickerel or a possibility Trophy jacks

P5220008.jpg

Like my Vector One Dollar fishing glove at the Dollar store?

P5220012.jpg

Handiest thing to unhook my 12 dollar plus lure nowadays. Saves the fish too although he may experience a sore jaw.

P5220020.jpg

A couple for at least two meals for myself.

P5220022.jpg

P5220023.jpg

Best part of the trip is the scenery, peacefulness and the beautiful water front homes

P5220014.jpg

check out this home in the background

P5220013.jpg

P5220015.jpg

P5220016.jpg

P5220017.jpg

P5220018.jpg

P5220019.jpg

I just seen the Big River Lock Ness Monster

P5230025.jpg

The Next Day on Saturday which was the nicest Day so far this year, I was Horrified at the Dock. It was like Cottage Country with the crowds and Ignoramouses that oblivious to others that back up to the water then prep for the launch or vice verse.

Well things didnt go smooth. I noticed my trailer needs welding which the wooden guide sits on and my License plate is AWOL. Then I first pressed the starter and nothing. Luckily after some trouble shooting I found out it was the Battery.(Nautilus) I switched Batteries and it started up good. Funny though I had it on the charger and it had a full charge. I hooked up at 2 Amps instead of 10 and hope it works next week. The other thing is the oil. i cant tell where it is on the Dip stick because its so clean. I may re Oil it to be on the safe side. Because of all this my plans ended up fishing Cowan again as time was running out. Oh well I can think of worse places.

This time Ill try bait fishing. See how a smelt does. Open the gut to sink it.

P5230026.jpg

It was really slow but I ended up with this that I tossed back.

P5230029.jpg

and later on trolling.

P5230032.jpg

P5220010.jpg

P5220011.jpg

Next week Ill try Hackett Lake, maybe even camp over night.

Some nice pike there.

IS that Jack of your a little fish thief as well? If you're still worried about the little fella jumping into the water from the boat, get him a small PFD. The one with the handle is great. When the dog gets hot, in the warmer weather, we just let her have a little swim beside the boat.

DSCN2025.jpg

Edited by bigugli

Great report! How far North in Sask are you? I was born on PA and made a trip back up there a couple of years ago, didn't fish while I was there, but there sure is some great scenery! Great report.

Nice report Rob. One of these days we will have to make sure we meet up. May have to make a jaunt up that way if the walleye fishing is good.

Have you ever tried Little Loon Lake just east of Glaslyn? Guys sure seem to get the walleyes out of there but the lake is so narrow and small that with the big wakeboard boats it can get crowded. I tried it alst July 1 long weekend but it was so hot out that I did not stay long.

Nice report Rob. One of these days we will have to make sure we meet up. May have to make a jaunt up that way if the walleye fishing is good.

Have you ever tried Little Loon Lake just east of Glaslyn? Guys sure seem to get the walleyes out of there but the lake is so narrow and small that with the big wakeboard boats it can get crowded. I tried it alst July 1 long weekend but it was so hot out that I did not stay long.

I always pass by Little Loon Lake to get to Big River. But with that small Lake, a Golf Course, that close to Alberta, no Thanks. Too Crowded and from what I heard, fished out. It however does look pretty from the Highway. By the way that Highway is the Border between Prairie Topograpy and Boreal. Great mixture iof Both. As you know the Hills Between Cochin and Glaslyn to me is Spectacular Badland or Ranchland scenery. Too Bad the locals are all Pyromaniacs. Last week took us nine hours to put out a fire that came from the Reservation North of Murray lake ( You Know who, They do it every year) that could of ruined a few Ranchers.

When I was at the cabin for the long weekend saw the plume of smoke and knew what was happening. Yeah the hills bewteen Cochin and Glaslyn are nice and but once you hit the forest it is even nicer in my mind. I prefer the forest and is probably why I am a forester! :D