The flotilla. Whities and a surprise Laker on Simcoe.

BillM

Dave and I hit up Lake Simcoe this morning to try our luck at some whities. After arriving at the ramp at 5:40am, we quickly realized the park didn't open until 6am :) After paying an exuberant amount of money to launch the boat, we were off to our destination. So much for forecast of only 10km/h winds. We get out there and it's blowing pretty good, easily a 2-3ft chop. The best part about the morning was the fact that the anchor was not holding. Perhaps I need to pick up a 30lb anchor, who knows... It shouldn't take much to hold a 15' Legend.

We lost more fish then we caught... After somewhat getting some control of the boat with numerous F>N>F>N>F>N gear shifts we almost had a vertical jig going.. I had the first hit, bowed the rod like you wouldn't believe and a few cranks of the handle and it was off. Dave was up next, he actually landed this first, or was it the second? I can't remember...

A nice whitie.

IMG_0875.jpg

About 5 mins later my rod doubles over and I actually get a hook up. Got it close to the surface and noticed it was a Laker. Once it saw us it started sounding and screamed off 20 or 30 yards of line in no time. Nice little guy, maybe 5lbs or so.. after a few pics she was back in the lake.

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

We both missed 3-4 fish at this spot, they hit pretty good for being 90ft down. We wanted to get out of the pack so we followed the chartplotter to some promising looking water. Fishing out here reminds me of watching novice hockey, ala the pack of bee's. If one person moves, then you might get 2-3 boats that follow. When we hit our second spot, I got an immediate hookup, got it half way to the boat then it was off. After I dropped it back down, I got another good smack. After that it looked like we were being attacked from all sides, lol. Boats coming towards us like you wouldn't believe, it was hilarous.

Although the funniest part of the day was watching the 5-6 russian dudes out in 8ft dingies. I couldn't help but laugh, what were these guys thinking? Ah well.. We packed it in around 11am or so, as soon as the wind stopped and the sunlight came out.

IMG_0880.jpg

Edited by BillM

Nice mornin' boys. So Bill, will you be doing some more fishing on your doorstep now? :)

Yeah, as long as I can find a launch other then the one at Innisfil Beach :)

The lake reminds me of Erie, smallmouth should be a lot of fun out there.

How was the camp?

well done guys we found the same sort of thing lots of hit s and lots of lost fish we moved away from the pack and found a nice school didn t take long before we were surrounded by boats all in all a graeat day out.

Rob