shimano stradic 2500FH issue

frozen-fire

This is to those who have experience with the shimano stradic 2500FH.

The reel was purchased about 2-3 years ago and starting last year, the line would catch at the bail. The bail wire connects to this other cone/tear drop shaped piece before putting the line on the roller. The connection isn't smooth enough and the line will catch. Why didn't shimano make the whole assembly one piece?!?! :angry:

At first I thought it was my bail that needed replacing, so I went to the Mississauga Warranty Service center yesterday to get a new bail. Upon replacing it, I played with the line few times and it still catches. I think I just wasted $23.73. Now I'm starting to wonder why it didn't do this the first year of use?

I read somewhere that some people fixed this by adding a glue or epoxy to make the connection smooth.

Any advice? If i did use a glue/epoxy, i would have to sand it down after it cures right?

It's a big pain in the rear having to manually move the line from the 'connection point' and putting it on the roller after every cast. Lost plenty of fish when it first started happening...

i have the same problem with my 1000

i thought it was just my reel with this issue, its good to know others are having the same problem

i now use the reel for trolling as i dont have to constantly manually guide the line back in after casts

i have no idea why it does this but i have 4 1000 stradics and all look the same

just the 1 reel that has the problem

Edited by babaganoush

The new models (FI) have a one piece bail wire/line guide. Same with the Saros. I would retire the old stradic and jump into a new Saros. They can be had for $120 on sale, cheaper if you try the auction site. I suggest the Saros because it's cheaper, and performs just as good as the Stradic FI. If you're not in a situation to pick up a new reel, super glue will work, just make sure you taper it from the bail wire up to the line guide.

The new models (FI) have a one piece bail wire/line guide. Same with the Saros. I would retire the old stradic and jump into a new Saros. They can be had for $120 on sale, cheaper if you try the auction site. I suggest the Saros because it's cheaper, and performs just as good as the Stradic FI. If you're not in a situation to pick up a new reel, super glue will work, just make sure you taper it from the bail wire up to the line guide.

I have both reels and really like the Saros, then again I cannot really notice a difference. I always manually close my bails. I've never had a problem. I would gladly recycle your Stradic FH if you like? ;)

i always close the bail manually. line still gets caught. as bail closes and you start to tighten the line or reel, the bail wire is supposed to force/guide the line to the roller... however, it gets caught at the connection between the bail wire and the cone/teardrop shaped piece.

It really has nothing to do with how you close the bail.

Supposedly this was first noted when they were using them in japan (where they were made), but shimano never bothered to fix this issue when the reel was released here in North America.

and yes, i do have daiwa's as well. I loved the daiwa laguna's...had two at one point.

and NO, i'm not going to sell/give away this reel. I'm actually looking for one more. may seriously consider the saros :)

I'll go try the new bail out first with some walleye fishing then decide if i'll go the super glue route.

Shimano has never failed me before.... I hope my Curado holds up after a couple years.

i have the same problem with my 1000

i thought it was just my reel with this issue, its good to know others are having the same problem

i now use the reel for trolling as i dont have to constantly manually guide the line back in after casts

i have no idea why it does this but i have 4 1000 stradics and all look the same

just the 1 reel that has the problem

I know...it's weird...my fishing bud and I bought the stradics together. Exactly the same ones. His is still fine. <_<

I've been having a different problem with my Stradic 2500FH lately, but still bail related.

On the occasional cast, the bail will snap closed when releasing the line from my finger. This of course snaps the bait right back at your face (if you're lucky maybe your fishing partner's face). So far this year it's only been with crappie baits, but I'm worried about throwing bigger baits with it.

I've been having a different problem with my Stradic 2500FH lately, but still bail related.

On the occasional cast, the bail will snap closed when releasing the line from my finger. This of course snaps the bait right back at your face (if you're lucky maybe your fishing partner's face). So far this year it's only been with crappie baits, but I'm worried about throwing bigger baits with it.

This happens to me on occasion. I just chock it up to me being stupid and not paying attention to what I am doing. That is after I do the curse dance.

THis has also happened to me, but only when i foolishly don't open the bail completely (it should click or lock open). Perhaps that is the issue with you as well? When you're in a hurry to whip your lure out there, you sometimes don't think to open it fully and it will definitely snap back after an attempt to cast.

THis has also happened to me, but only when i foolishly don't open the bail completely (it should click or lock open). Perhaps that is the issue with you as well? When you're in a hurry to whip your lure out there, you sometimes don't think to open it fully and it will definitely snap back after an attempt to cast.

I've had the reel for a few years now and never had a problem til now. I've also got a Symmetre 2500FI (bought around the same time) and although it's cheaper reel, it's always felt smoother from day one and never a problem with the bail snapping closed.

Maybe that's why the Stradic has been completely redesigned for the FI model.

Yep. The spring is not strong enough, and Shimano will replace it for you. IMHO, both of these issues are inexcusable for such a highly priced reel, and reason to go with another company. Plenty of $50 spinning reels that work just fine and don't have the issues that Shimanos do.

Well your first problem is that you bought a Shimano...............but hey, the Izumi's need another house right?

Went through three 1st gen Stradics in a year (remember the old knuckle busting, cigar crunching, dumb paddle handles?), last Shimano's I'll ever own. Overpriced garbage that broke in a variety of interesting ways.

Hell I have a $60 Okuma that worked better, but it's falling apart now.

Daiwa Emblem-X that's been flawless.....until now. Like a Chrysler that just came off warranty it just suddenly started falling to pieces, it's doing the "bail closing when you cast" maneuver. Very fun chucking 3/4oz. spoons when that happens.

Screw it.....I'm just going to pick up another Daiwa SS and call it a day, best reel I ever owned.