Cottage Ceiling Help

moemoe

I am going up to my wifes family cottage this weekend with the plan to put up some tongue and grove pine ceiling, The product is 5/16 tongue and grove from lowes, which they have a "cottage grade" which seems pretty decent, a little rough but not nearly as ugly looking as rona's "b" grade. If anyone is in the market, the price is under 9 bucks for 14 sq ft, which from what I have researched seems pretty reasonable. I consider myself reasonably skilled when it comes to carpentry but i was wondering with an air nailer, what size/type of nails should I use? and do I need to put up strapping or should the regular 2 ft truss span be adequate? Also anyone have any pointers or tips? Thanks Moe

if your covering up old ceiling tile or even drywall--I would consider strapping it-

Old tiles have some give so when the nail goes through the pine --through the tile and into your truss--it may compress the tile somewhat and more than likely split your v-joint.

Bushart

I did it in my basement and I used an electric brad nailer and it worked good. I had to put up strapping just because I had to level out a bad drywall job. If it is fairly good quality I don't think that I would worry about the glue.

"cottage grade" usually means loose or missing knots as well. One thing to think about is if you intend on cutting out the loose or missing knots. If you are fine, if not I would consider backing of some sort so you don't see the vapour barrier behind it. (You are putting up vapour barrier aren't you?).

Be sure not to just butt joint your joints, always a better finished job if you lap your joints.

Moemoe, this may not be a crucial point but it was important to me. Whether you do wood flooring, wall or ceiling a la tongue and groove, if you can choose the season you do it in it makes a big difference. I did 3,000 sf of flooring in my house. If you buy your wood and install it in the winter for example, in the dryer season it'll shrink and you'll have gaps showing up. That's not too bad. What's worse is buying and installing TIGHT in the summer. When it swells, and it will, you'll get waves in there. If you can buy your wood and leave it out in the room that it's intended for for a while, the wood will climatise a little and give you much fewer problems. Between seasons is the best time to do it.

Just my coupla cents. Good luck.

Thanks for all the help! Marrying into a cottage and being a shift worker was definitley a score :thumbsup_anim: that being said I have put in a lot of time putting up panelling, wiring, maintenice, but it is definetly well worth it....The plan is to get there saturday, and then let the wood perculate till monday and start at it, with a little fishing in between......Hopefully the gap is not a problem as it is going over top of vapour barrier.....

Nice job bud. Did my sunroom at the cottage 3 years ago this July, still no shrinkage yet.

Not that it matters anymore since your job is done, but someone mentioned glue for the ceiling as well as nails. That was key for me.

Also important was a hatch to accesss the ceiling. I've got low voltage lights installed in the ceiling and need to access them...