Go Deep?

SlowPoke

So, I'm reading this article in Great Lakes Angler (May 09) and they discuss fishing 250'+ for salmon. That's where the big ones tend to be. I've never fished deeper than say 120' or so and my riggers only have 200' of cable.

This summer I would like to experiment fishing deep in the BZ and I will probably run Torpedo Divers off the downriggers - or- as mentioned in another article featuring Torpedo's, "shirt buttoning' them on the same line. In other words, max out depth on the first Torpedo, add another, add another etc.

The articles I'm referring to are on pages 8 & 25 of this months GLA

Anybody have any deep sea fishing experiences from the 'Blue Zone'? Is it worth the effort? These guys are fishing Lake Michigan but I suspect Lake O salmon lurk deep too.

In the early 80's , there was some reports of huge lakers being taken in 200+ water off the western coast of Manitoulin. I headed out to give them a crack. I was steel lining with my willow leaf when i got an almight smack. after several mins a big chinook appeared 35+lbs. I never caught another one and no lakers were seen that day. I wrote this off as a fluke. The next year i found myself out in the same area in 240ft of water. I was marking some fish about 30ft off the bottom, i thought maybe lakers or whities. I setup my downriggers to 10 feet above them and threw out a few spoons. July 18th 1982 is in my personal fishing log as my personal best fishing day ever!!!! This is what i wrote i am looking at it right now.

" 13 chinook--- smallest 31lbs largest 43lbs

2x ripple dodger

6x william gold

4x croc halo

1x rebel fluro

What have i been doing with myself, found large shoals of fish at ******, in 200ft ... i am in shock..."

Since this day i find myself in mid july in the deep water. I have never been this sucessful again but i always score a few big ones... they are farther and fewer to catch but they are big. They seem to taper off in mid august. A lot of the salmon that people catch are 3yr olds in the shallower water.. and the big boys are deeper... that my theory anyways. Give them a shot.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL Pete!! I'm not going to give away the secret bait.

P.S. where do you store your cigarette butts... on the trebles ready to go or do you rig them when you get out there?

Guest gbfisher

The Blue Zone is an Area out on Lake "O" in the 300 to 400' mark. Its not really a depth to fish at. Salmon relate to temp more than anything. Their temps could be anywhere from 20 to what ever depth.

Hope that helps.

Edited by gbfisher

" 13 chinook--- smallest 31lbs largest 43lbs

2x ripple dodger

6x william gold

4x croc halo

1x rebel fluro

What have i been doing with myself, found large shoals of fish at ******, in 200ft ... i am in shock..."

Wow, nice day on the water!

I've had quantity fish days, I've had quality fish days. I've never had both on the same day!

As i said it was the best day i ever had... it was insane... I have never seen it again in huron... since the plague of the pinkies in 2 yrs later the "big ones" slowed down considerably. They are still there though, just waiting for me to come home.. i can hear them calling me :)

The Blue Zone is an Area out on Lake "O" in the 300 to 400' mark. Its not really a depth to fish at. Salmon relate to temp more than anything. Their temps could be anywhere from 20 to what ever depth.

Hope that helps.

If you have access to the article, it's worth reading. One paragraph states "This sounder shoes two riggers set: One at about 190', the other tight to bottom, 281' down. The low rod is usually the hottest for bottom hugging salmon.

I think many Lake O guys are set in their ways, myself included. Every time I've been to the BZ it's been 'bows & 'hos and no big kings. I know they're there, just have to find them!

Brian just use one of my anchors.Oh wait I only have one now.

Funny you mention that... talking to a buddy today that was fishing the Grand and he found one with the price tag on it. Dried it off, took it to Canadian Tire and got $35.00 for it. ;)

So you are going to help me catch a biggun in 3 weeks with all your great Salmon knowledge eh Brian.

I am counting on you now :Gonefishing: See ya soon.

Mike

3 weeks? YIKES!

I don't have a floor in my boat right now.

Tell you what, bring your riggers, a piece of plywood and your blender motor and I'll tell you where to go.... er, setup.

I don't think I'd even want to be fishing that deep Brian.... :wallbash:

If it's big kings you want you don't need to be that far out.... :whistling:

You're absolutely right in the morning and evening but when the fishing drops off at 9AM, the bigguns have gone somewhere!

Come on Brian. Cant believe you'd post this here. You're obviously flossing these fish at 250+ feet.

There is a reason why I have treble hook shaped canonballs.

Brian keep an eye on the drops from 60 to 120' OFW in the summer :whistling:

This is good advice....it has served me very well ...very seldom do i ever have to wander out into anything deeper then 140 fow as long as there is structure in the area).....but i religously fish temp ....so that pretty much dictates my depth...and honestly i dont think i have ever set my riggers deeper then 110 .....

Maybe this year ill try for the "HAIL MARY"