Pike Opener - TDot Islands

MSBruno

First time on the Islands.

Took the 6:35AM Ferry and left approx 2:30PM

Ended up with 5 Pike

Largest was my PB 32" 6.5lbs - 3rd pic

2 @ 25-28"

2 less than 24"

All 5 pike were great healthy fish. The first fish of the day @ 8:30 (1st pic) jumped like a 3lb bass ... way out of the water. The 4th of the day was my PB at 32" 6.5lbs and built like a truck (3rd pic)!!!

All 5 Pike were released for battling another day.

May_2_2009___1.jpg

May_2_2009___2.jpg

May_2_2009___3.jpg

Edited by MSBruno

Don't take offense when people start bashing you for throwing them on the ground like that.

BTW, great job. Well done in hooking into some early season TO Island Pike.

Dirk....

Edited by diggyj

Don't take offense when people start bashing you for throwing them on the ground like that.

Dirk....

Thanks

I wont take offense as all fish were handled with much care and released. No fish spent more than 30 seconds out of the water and all swam away with a tonne of power. No troubled fish here.

nice fish! gotta love going someplace for the first time and getting into to that much action.

Thanks. I have no problem earning my stripes in new areas. Research helps, but experience is key!

Dirk....

BAHAHAAH!! You guys should be friends. You can both throw your fish on the ground and have a chuckle about it.

MSBRUNO.. How many PMs did send asking people for their honey holes?

I think you outta give props where props is due. Technique played a part in your success, but the information you fished from people played an even bigger part.

By the way, those pics could have EASILY been taken when the fish were still in the water, just so you know.

BAHAHAAH!! You guys should be friends. You can both throw your fish on the ground and have a chuckle about it.

I think you outta give props where props is due. Technique played a part in your success, but the information you fished from people played an even bigger part.

By the way, those pics could have EASILY been taken when the fish were still in the water, just so you know.

Yes, Props are due:

Highdrifter

frozen-fire

SNAG

Mepps

Master Basser

Edited by MSBruno

First of all there is a difference, my Pike was not released, his were.

Secondly if you like belittling people then continue to do so if you feel it makes you a better and stronger person.

Thirdly, I won't even comment about your latest post.

Cheers.

Edited by diggyj

First of all there is a difference, my Pike was not released, his were.

Secondly if you like belittling people then continue to do so if you feel it makes you a better and stronger person.

Thirdly, I won't even comment about your latest post.

Cheers.

First. I think you're fibbing. I think if you would have kept the fish in your last report, you would have told us first off. :whistling:

Secondly. Those who know me would find that responce a tad whiney.. Soo, ya want some cheeze to go with your whine?

Third. Mind your own beez wax. You're not the one he pmed asking for information.

Good little report, looks like you did well, I'll have to keep an eye out for you when I land!

Third. Mind your own beez wax. You're not the one he pmed asking for information.

Ahh so thats where Im going wrong!! lol

I'll hold you to that :)

Better again, will have to let me know when your casting a line and Ill come join you.

other than that, I'll be the fat bloke in the gym/pool trying to lose bucket loads of weight

First. I think you're fibbing. I think if you would have kept the fish in your last report, you would have told us first off. :whistling:

Secondly. Those who know me would find that responce a tad whiney.. Soo, ya want some cheeze to go with your whine?

Thanks, you just proved my point and that is, that you come across like an immature little child.

Dirk

I haven't done alot of pike fishing but the stuff i have done is from my canoe. i pretty much always bring them in the boat to remove the hook otherwise they thrash waayy too much and all those teeth can be quite intimidating when they are going. If on shore i could see it being quite difficult to unhook without pulling them on if you are by yourself with no one to hold it....

also i'm sure i'm not the only one but before i started reading these boards i have never heard of not setting them on the ground. i have been fishing for years with my family and other than people that are more in the fishing communities family customs are what prevails. i'm not saying it's right i'm just saying please try to educate people in more productive manner than simply slamming them when they post thier first couple pictures.

AA.

PS all that being said i do agree he should have gave props in his original post and not claim that he did so well due to his experience, definately came across as arrogant (my 2 cents).

Not to get in on the big argument(s), but some friendly advice for everyone in the future.....

Fish on the grass - especially if the grass is wet - isn't that bad. Try to avoid the dirt if you can. Aside from time out of water, the most important thing is their slime which protects them from bacteria/parasites/etc. Consider their slime to be like our skin (in terms of protection against bacteria and viruses).....without it you can run away but you don't get very far before getting sick.

Just like you should wet your hands before grabbing a fish, you should try to not set it in dirt (or sawdust, or paper towel, or oil soak-up sweeper powder) :-)

Edited by cram

Looks like the X-Rap and i think a Black Fury spinner were good for you eh. How was your retrieve on that X-Rap? I was using a slow steady retrieve and i got a nice pike to hit(and miss lol) on a J13 Jointed rapala minnow.

Great fish man! :clapping:

jerk, jerk, jerk, pause ...... jerk, jerk, jerk, pause

from my experience, the pause is needed as this is when they'll strike

Just because they swam away doesnt mean theyre not going to be prone to bacterial or fungal infections, espetially in Lake Ontario where VHS is present. All the fish I release are never put in dirt. Is it really that hard to keep them over water?

How about a little more respect for our resources? Or should we all just act like no one gives a crap and it doesnt matter?

Just because they swam away doesnt mean theyre not going to be prone to bacterial or fungal infections, espetially in Lake Ontario where VHS is present. All the fish I release are never put in dirt. Is it really that hard to keep them over water?

How about a little more respect for our resources? Or should we all just act like no one gives a crap and it doesnt matter?

Understood an noted. Will do.

geez tough crowd. Good thing it was a couple of "mere" pike on the ground rather than a bass, or heaven forbid...a musky! Either way, the advice (other than the bickering) is solid and will hopefully lead to some "fish in water" photos.

Sure wish there were an online community where i could go and share stories about fishing and learn from others. That would be fun/helpful/productive.