Cant Find My Boat Ownership Paper

darsky

I bought a boat last year privately. The owner had a document drawn up very professionally and was sighed accordingly. Only I did a great job at putting it away. I contacted the old owner and he said he got rid of all his documents after 6 months. What happens if I need to produce proof of ownership? Who should I contact? The boat was bought for 13000$

Edited by darsky

I bought a boat last year privately. The owner had a document drawn up very professionally and was sighed accordingly. Only I did a great job at putting it away. I contacted the old owner and he said he got rid of all his documents after 6 months. What happens if I need to produce proof of ownership? Who should I contact?

Services Canada would be able to help you. Might need a sworn affidavit, I had to get one for mine when the same thing had happened...cost me 30 bucks

LOL, I just went through the same thing. Couldn't find my boat registration anywhere! Went through the at home safety deposit box, boat receipts, file cabinet, storage box in the boat and finally found a photo copy of the original in my fishing box but is our old address! :wallbash: I knew there was a copy of a revised one with the newer address on it somewhere. Went through the same routine all over again...Then my wife went searching and found the original with the revised address in 3 minutes. :oops:

My suggestion, let your wife give the search a go, chances are she'll find it. :blush:

• 3 weeks later...

If you didnt change it over into your name at Service Canada when you bought the boat it would still be registered in previous owners name. Get a bill of sale from him write the numbers down from the boat,take them to Service Canada they will make you out a new one in your name,be prepared to get a letter from our friendly Gov.wanting tax money,sometimes they do sometimes they dont.I registered one a few years ago that I bought for $500.00 got a letter couple weeks after registering it for $750.00 taxes,they said it was a brand new boat worth x number of dollars.Even if you did change it over when you bought it take the numbers in and they can issue you a new so called ownership.

I just bought a boat last week and went to the license place to get plates etc with receipt in hand. Got my trailer changed over and paid the tax on it and she took my original receipt. I had done my homework and knew that Services Canada wanted a receipt so I told them that and they said "oh no take this piece of paper I am going to give you and show it to them and thats all you need". So 3:45 on Friday I go to Services Canada and the woman there says sorry about your luck you have all the proper paper work but no original receipt. By the time I got back to license place and convinced the person to give me back my original receipt it was too late to do anything so had to wait till monday. At Services Canada they said I could have just found that paper work laying onlong side of the road or something like that so dont bother showing up without the original receipt. once I had the origianal it was as easy as could be to change over 5 minutes in and out the door.

You need to swear an afidavit that you truly did purchase the boat and its yours this becomes your ownership service canada supplies a licence number for the boat this is not proof of ownership or you could go down the costly registration route Transport canada and service canada website have all details you need to know

Peter