fished the Lower Niagara today

NAC

I hit the big river after work today and the fish were very cooperative. It was my fourth steelhead outing of '09 and the first 3 only yielded 2 fish.

It started looking like things were going to be very slow after only hooking 2 fish in the first 3hrs... lost both... my fault. I used the same rig as the last outing without cutting back the line. I should definitely have known better by now. :rolleyes:

The last hour was very productive and I ended up landing a pile. I tried doing the self portrait by using a tripod and timed delay function on the camera. Things didn't quite work out as hoped, but you get the idea from the pics. I even did a trial run to make sure, but didn't account for these feisty fish trying to escape during the shot.

I never caught a single fish on roe. Flies, jigs, Berkley worms(orange peel) and spinners all worked well.

th_P1020473.jpg

th_P1020472.jpg

th_P1020471.jpg

th_P1020470.jpg

Trial run. :)

th_P1020469.jpg

I need to work on the self portraits, but it was a lot of fun regardless.

Awesome job! I only started fishing the Niagara for steelhead last year and was amazed at how hard those fish pull. Certainly different than what I'm used to fishing. Have the minnows started coming in yet? I was awestruck at how black the water was with them. Never seen anything like it except on the Discovery Channel with sardines and anchovies.

I only started fishing the Niagara for steelhead last year and was amazed at how hard those fish pull. Have the minnows started coming in yet?

There's definitely some strong fish coming out of there and they need to be to navigate those currents. I didn't see a lot of baitfish around in the areas I was fishing, but you could definitely see the steelies chasing them around close to the surface nearby.

The water level was very high(4-5ft more than I'm used to) and never seemed to drop in the time I was there later in the afternoon.

Hopefully I'll be working in Niagara again soon before the run really tapers off!