Wind?

JohnF

Hopefully no OFNers got caught out in that wind yesterday. It was pretty fierce for a while here in Stratford. We lost power in part of the town for a few hours but I didn't see any signs of significant damage. I was keeping my fingers crossed that no one was caught out on the water. It came up pretty quickly. Some really black clouds out to the west and a few minutes later the power went out. Then the wind rose really fast and the rain and hail started.

JF

My kids and I were just about to head out for some slabs when it rolled thru here. Ripped the facia right off the house. Crazy winds, rain and hail. I thought it was going to rip a strip off my metal roof too. I had a few buddies out on rice lake that had to take cover at the nearest cottage, but everyone was fine. They said the waves went from 2fters to 5 fters in a matter of seconds!!

I'm sure glad we didn't make it on the water.

Sinker

My kids and I were just about to head out for some slabs when it rolled thru here. Ripped the facia right off the house. Crazy winds, rain and hail. I thought it was going to rip a strip off my metal roof too. I had a few buddies out on rice lake that had to take cover at the nearest cottage, but everyone was fine. They said the waves went from 2fters to 5 fters in a matter of seconds!!

Sinker

I was worried about it catching some folks. It came up so fast here that suddenly there were dust clouds flying horizontally and they then turned to vaporized rain for a few moments before the heavy rains and hail came. It was a very crazy storm all in all. I surely wouldn't have wanted to be out in an open boat.

JF

I was getting ready to go out for a trout opener, peeked through my window and saw black clouds coming.

Not 10 minutes later i thought i was in the middle of a tornado, its insane how quickly it came.

Hope everybody is alright and stayed away from water.

Sounds like we were not the only ones.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/National/home

Ontario, Quebec clean up after severe storms

Article Comments (13) The Canadian Press

April 26, 2009 at 8:39 AM EDT

TORONTO — A series of thunderstorms rolled through Ontario and parts of western Quebec on Saturday, downing power lines, trees, causing some minor injuries and reportedly damaging some homes in the National Capital Region.

“It was one heck of a day apparently, right from Sarnia to the Ottawa-Gatineau area,” said Arnold Ashton, a meteorologist with Environment Canada.

The thunderstorm appears to have hit the National Capital Region the hardest, Ashton said.

“Just on the northern fringe of Gatineau, (Que.) there was considerable structural damage to homes,” Mr. Ashton said.

Related Articles

Recent

Thousands in Southern Ontario without power after severe storms

A media spokeswoman for Gatineau police confirmed there was widespread damage.

She said there was “a lot of damage to residences, electrical poles and power lines.”

There were no reports of injuries but she said police received 685 calls from residents between 7:20 p.m. and 10:20 p.m. ET.

Power was cut for about 12,000 of the area's 300,000 residents, the spokeswoman said.

Ottawa was hit hard as well.

Roofs were blown off homes in parts of the city, while other homeowners were shocked to find trees resting on top of their residences, CTV Ottawa reported on its website.

Trees were also uprooted and traffic lights were damaged.

Ottawa TV aired video of downed trees and power lines brought down by trees that were snapped off by high winds.

Witness John Davidson told local CTV: “I kept looking down Riverside and I could see the funnel clouds, three of them, going down the Experimental Farm.”

A woman was taken to hospital after a tree smashed into a vehicle and a man in the ByWard Market was treated by paramedics after being struck with a flying piece of metal, CTV reported.

A “core of strong winds” of 90 kilometres an hour roared from Sarnia to Ottawa in a matter of hours Saturday, Mr. Ashton said.

“It was just quite a nasty sustained line of thunderstorms.”

Winds at Toronto's Pearson airport gusted to 115 km/h at one point Saturday, the strongest gusts since the blizzard of January 1978, Mr. Ashton said.

In Toronto a man was taken to hospital with serious head injuries after a flying 18 kilogram sign, ripped loose by the storm, struck him, the Toronto Star reported on its website.

Hydro One's website showed pockets of power outages across southern Ontario and 42,049 customers were without power late Saturday evening.

The website said most customers would have their power restored some time overnight but some people might not have electricity until early Sunday morning.

Toronto Hydro said several thousand of its customers were affected by the storm.

Environment Canada issued severe thunderstorm warnings throughout the day and evening for the region.

In Sarnia and Lambton County there were reports of golf ball-sized hail and heavy rain.

The storm brought down trees and utility poles.

Provincial police said a 15-year-old girl and two horses were struck by lightning in the municipality of Lambton Shores.

The girl was apparently trying to lead the two horses to safety, police said.

She was taken to hospital in Strathroy and treated for minor injuries.

There were some unofficial sightings of funnel clouds and tornadoes, but Mr. Ashton said there was no official confirmation.

Remembering back to Toronto Star Salmon Derby, would have been August probably 83 , I was out Bronte near the Shell Pier, I got in just in time when a similar front hit suddenly and quickly. Lots of small boats were a long ways out from Bronte to Port Credit, many were swamped and equipment lost. I don't recall if any lives were lost but that was only due to the fact that we had a lot of larger charter boats in those days that helped in the rescue.

Everyone learned a big lesson that day. I think it was referred to as " Black Friday " for years after .

Anyone who was out in it would have it permanently etched into their mind.

Sinker

went out on rice Lake took shelter behind an island but coming we were bouncing of some high break water was brutal on the back...didn't catch anything but met a real nice guy .....bad experience for my first boating experience fishing but seriously was a good day.....I should have listened to people and stayed off the lake but couldn't resist trying out boat fishing! bit over-rated but I'm sure I might try it again!

Remembering back to Toronto Star Salmon Derby, would have been August probably 83 , I was out Bronte near the Shell Pier, I got in just in time when a similar front hit suddenly and quickly. Lots of small boats were a long ways out from Bronte to Port Credit, many were swamped and equipment lost. I don't recall if any lives were lost but that was only due to the fact that we had a lot of larger charter boats in those days that helped in the rescue.

Everyone learned a big lesson that day. I think it was referred to as " Black Friday " for years after .

Anyone who was out in it would have it permanently etched into their mind.

I remember that vividly.