Another opener, here and gone.

BillM

The anticipation I've had for the 25th of April has grown and grown until reaching an apex lastnight right before bed. Double and triple checking my equipment before loading it into the truck still wasn't good enough, I was tossing and turning in my sleep with the thoughts of forgetfulness. Four thirty am, came awful quick once I actually fell asleep. The alarm goes off, I wake up, and stumble into the bathroom in the dark because the gf was sleeping and I didn't want to wake her up. After getting dressed, feeding the kitties, it was time!!!! The day I've been waiting for was finally here. I don't know how to really explain it, or even compare it to the fishing I've been doing the past 6 months, but the urge to was as strong as ever. I absolutely love fishing for steelhead on the pin. Being introduced to it this year and having the help of of a true steelhead master has made my learning curve a lot easier then it probably should have been. There is no other way I'd rather spend a cold winters day, but in a half frozen river with great company catching steelies.

Today however is different. I'm not new to this type of fishing as I've been doing it for a while but I still get as excited as ever. The damp smell of the cool morning air as you step out of the front door is intoxicating. It's a prerequisite of the opener. I headed out, grabbed a Tims and headed east. I wish this was an epic report, chalked full of monster fish and insane numbers, but to me today was more about the overall experience. I hit my first creek at around 6am with thoughts of brookies leaping around in my head. Unfortunately the fish had other ideas :) This was a new to me river. I wasn't going in completely blind as I had my GPS programmed, and my backroads maps ready, but as far as the river itself was concerned, I was a complete rube. The wildlife today was surreal.... turkeys, deer and even a couple of grouse crossed my paths without to much of an effort to get out of my way. Luckily for me I avoided the crowds and found myself in places like this...

md004-ps.jpg

I was greeted with this view as I made my way down to one of my rivers I visited. Reminded me of Sleepy Hollow for some reason :)

md003-ps.jpg

Even though the trails in were nice, the view of a natural brookie coming out of a tea stained creek doesn't get any better.

md006-ps.jpg

The fish wasn't a monster by any means (Although I think Leechman has us all beat!) but on the larger size for this area.

A few more before the release.

md008-ps.jpg

md009-ps.jpg

All in all a great day, the fish were just a bonus. Another opener here and gone.

Great report and superb pics Bill :thumbsup_anim:

I know how you feel about getting the gear prep and the tossing and turning.... I don't know why I ask my wife to set the alarm cause I'm always up before it goes off LOL

The colors on those brookies are amazing.... real dark!! and the scenery shots are superb :thumbsup_anim::clapping:

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us

Leechman

Looks like a successful day there Bill!

Those dark brookies look great. Gotta love beating the crowds, catching beauty fish

and being immersed in the full outdoors. Thanks for posting this :Gonefishing:

Hey Chris,

I wish I could say that the path lead to monster brookies, but it didn't cough up anything. That river, atleast in that area is just to fast and to shallow. No real nice holding pools from my 2-3km hike down river (maybe I'm blind, who knows)

If you interested in more specific details just drop me a PM. I did more driving then fishing, that's for sure :)