Canadian Tire.ca

BUSTER

I would only have to ask myself one question...

Would you want to take it to Canadian Tire for service? and have that cracker jack 17 year old learn about 4 stroke outboards on your dime?

At 2 G's I think I'd keep shoppin. (And yes I've owned a 4 stroke since 96)

They are made by Parsun Motors. They are a Chinese import. the Australian Magazine/TV Show 'Fishing and Boating' (F&B) has a video review and actually gave them very high marks, but did include the caveat of the unknown long term performance because they have just arrived.

http://www.seamedia.com.au/streamingVideo/...-2stroke_lg.php

The Australian market is flooded with these chinese imports. They work great ( for about a year) then the problems set in. My neighbour has a Parsun 15hp, total rubbish. They make motorbikes , lawnmovers etc as well. Sam next door took the hood off his outboard only to find that nuts had come loose etc, called the supplier where he bought it and they told him to read the manual, which states ,Please tighten all visible screws as they may not come properly tightened from factory. What a piece of junk.

just looked at the link... 1999 is way to much.. 9.9 is 1100 here and a 15hp is around 1700

Edited by Fudd

Parsun is trying to enter the North American market. I haven't heard much good about them, yet. The biggest problem is a lack of a dealer and parts network. If something goes wrong its not the 17 year old at CTC that

ll be trying to fix it, it'll be the 9 year old back in China that put it together. Think about that.

They had a booth at the Toronto Sportsman Show. They are made in China. The guy at the booth claimed that they are the exact same motor as both Mercury and Yamaho motors. According to him, both Mercury and Yamaha outsource their production of smaller motors to China.

It did look that same as a Merc on the outside. I didn't remove the cowling to see if they are the same on the inside.

They had a booth at the Toronto Sportsman Show. They are made in China. The guy at the booth claimed that they are the exact same motor as both Mercury and Yamaho motors. According to him, both Mercury and Yamaha outsource their production of smaller motors to China.

It did look that same as a Merc on the outside. I didn't remove the cowling to see if they are the same on the inside.

Mercury has outsourced small motors to Yamaha. Yamaha makes there own. I've heard, but can't confirm with any evidence that both Sail and Parsun motors are either rip-offs of old Yamaha designs or that they've bought old Yamaha design rights for motors that no longer meet EPA standards. They may be the same or similar design, but they don't have the same QA/QC or materials of a Yamaha.

Making a small outboard that runs is pretty easy. Matching the right mix of cheap parts and labour to keep the price down without sacrificing build quality is the problem.

Hey, go easy on the 17 year old at CTC stuff- my son works for CTC after doing co-op there. It is a good learning experience for sure, but the pay is minimal- he says there are some good mechanics there though. I'm just happy the lad is working period!!

Looks like the same situation as with the Chinese built ATV's and dirt bikes. They look good, last about a year, then there are no parts or dealers to repair them.

If they truly want to break into the North American market, then they can set up proper dealer networks first like everyone else.

Those ATV's were being sold through independent people like gas stations, individual retailers, etc.

I think if someone is serious about selling these types of products, then they can fork out the millions required to stock a proper dealership. Shows a commitment to me. This MIGHT mean that they will still be in business when you need them.

I learned my lesson about Canadian Tire 5 or 6 years ago. Got them to put my winter tires put on, two days later driving home on the 404 all I hear and feel is "wobble, wobble, wobble wobble"..... lucky I was near a dealership and stopped there.

"You are very lucky sir. Whoever put on your wheels didn't actually torque them. If I were you, I would raise hell".

Yea... I don't trust any service from them.

Edited by Governator

its pretty much common knowledge amongst people who actually know something about working on cars that canadian tire is one the last places you should take your vehicle. sll you ever hear is bad stories about people who take their vehicles there.

i took my truck there 1 and only time and that was for new tires which were on for half price or something so it was worth a shot. i looked directly at the guy who was working on my truck and told him to be sure he uses balancing weights on the inner edge of the rim so you cant see them. "no problem sir". the first thing i noticed when i got out to my truck was these weights on the outside edge of the rims :rolleyes: they seriously let someone that stupid work on peoples brakes and such?

id definitely stay away from this cheap outboard. its usually always cheaper in the long run to buy quality the first time....