Cooks Bay, Lake Simcoe Report Sunday Feb 4 2007

Clampet

Well decided to give the new equipment a try (**New** Normark Finbore Micro 6" Hand Auger, and 39" ice sled).

I reckoned that because of the low temperatures, the fish prolly wouldn't cooperate, but I wanted to test my new purchases and introduce the wife to the pleasures of ice fishing.

(and yes, I will make an appointment to have my head examined). :glare:

Well, I was correct about the fish, not biting, and was pleased to hear that the better half was impressed with the newly acquired cold weather accessories (boots, mits, etc) allowing her to take on one of our coldest days without feeling any cold whatsoever. She claims that she will come out again. :thumbsup_anim:

I tell ya, when we got out of the car to don our heavy clothing (no we were not naked) it was quite sobering.

The shear velocity of the North wind sweeping across the lake, went right through us, as we struggled to put on all the trappings to keep us warm. I mean, if you were out there in regular jacket and pants 30 seconds in the wind, you were completely chilled, no exageration, 30 seconds :o

Anyway, once we got dressed and got the equipment into the sleigh, off we headed face into the wind. But now, oh joy, oh bliss, the cold no longer had any effect. I must have asked Catherine a dozen times if she was ok, if she was cold, and she answered no everytime, that she was quite warm, can you beleive it, warm!

So we walked halfway across Cooks Bay ( 15 minutes or so) and took shelter behind an unoccupied ice shanty to get out of the merciless gusting wind.

Like I said, no fish. I beleive the same result was had by several other hopefull brave souls, as they picked up and left shortly after we arrived.

Here are a few pics of the event, and accompanying video link to the New auger in action.

Catherine2.jpg

Our shiners kept well and free of ice in an insulated cooler:

Shinersnotfreezing.jpg

Couple pics of me, testament to the wind..

Paul2.jpg

Paul1.jpg

Here is the Fin Bore cutting thru 9" of ice demo

Notice the Windlass Tip-Up?

Note: It's my 1st time with this model..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE6mwWivYq4

Edited by Clampet

Well at least you can get your lady out on the ice....LOL. Your lucky know one tried to kick you off were you were fishing....had a guy last year try and kick me off the ice around a hut...when the winds were 60km and like -29 that day....needless to say I won the battle of words. Didn't think that hut operators owned the ice...the guy tried telling me they owned the ice around the hut to a certain footage....I just laughed.....congrats on getting out there...was a cold day!

Youtube

Q: Why isn't my video showing up?

A: Depending on site traffic, changes to video information can take 8

hours or more to show up in the search index after they have been

uploaded, changed, or removed. This includes changes to tags, ratings,

views, and comments. Under ext

Hopefully by tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Well you are braver than I Paul. I'm surprised the wifey went out with you. That wind was enough to keep me at home. I just envisioned my new Clam 2000 whipping across the lake, with me inside :w00t: No thanks.

Joey

HEY PAUL

GOOD SEEING YOU TODAY.. BOY THE WIND GODS WERE BLOWING CRAZY. AFTER WE SAW YOU HEADING IN WE WENT TO A HUT TO FIND SHELTER BEHIND IT FROM THE WIND, THERE WAS A GUY IN THE HUT AND INVITED US TO JOIN HIM AND GET OUT OF THE WIND....

ONCE WE WERE IN THE BITE WAS LIKE BEFORE WHEN WE WENT, TONS OF SMALL ONE AND SOME OK ONE TO BOOT...

ANYWAY IT WAAS GOOD SEEING YOU AND MEETING YOUR WIFE.. I WILL BE IN CONTACT LATER ON AND LE FISH AGAIN

DAVE

Getting your wife out in those conditions is the most incredible thing.

You are right though the clothing is available to keep people warm.

Nice video of the auger in action. Less than 19 seconds through 10 inches of ice is impresssive.

cheers,

ehg

Edited by ehg