Guitor or Bass Players(nf)

BITEME

I just recently picked up a 1991 Marshall JCM900 2x12 50watt combo I LOVE THIS AMP with one problem in order to really drive the tubes into the madness zone the volume has to be way up.now I have gone through a few amps in the last couple of years to find the sound im looking for still cant play worth a poo but im having fun well this fifty watter will shatter your teeth. but that volume is the sound im looking for so I am considering buying a power brake has anyone used one of these and what is your feel for it the one im looking at is made by Marshall i know there are other brands out but i prefer to use marshall

any feed back would be great

Thanks

Peter

Hey Peter,

My only experience with them is the Tom Scholz Power Soak, from many years ago. The folks I knew using them either really liked what they did or hated the sound. Many complained that the tone they were looking for was gone after engaging the soak.

Wish I could help more... just a thought, but maybe consider using a pedal to get that distortion your looking for, rather then heating up those beautiful tubes. POD, etc....

HH

First off great amp , I have a 100 watt jcm 900 head and a jcm 2000 head and too many other amps to name but last count between me and my son theres 15 or so amps in my base ment . The problem of them being too loud just as they start getting warm is an old one that most fix with a master volume ," Yukkk" any good repair guy can put one in your amp for you and I can recomend a few if you want , but like the power soak I dont think you will like it . The marsell power brake or something simalar is what you want , they go between the amp output and the speakers rather than between the pre amp and the output so you get the botth the preamp and output tubes cooking and than you turn down the power . Or and This would be my choice , get a smaller amp there are so many good 15 watt or even 7 watt tube amps that will give as much or more than your marsell , try an orange or my fav Koch or many others, pm me if you want to talk guitars and amps I have been collecting for 45 years and have a hugh amont of stuff and can talk for hours lol only thing I have more of is fishing stuff but not by much three rooms plus my basement in my house are full of guitars and stuff .

I just recently picked up a 1991 Marshall JCM900 2x12 50watt combo I LOVE THIS AMP with one problem in order to really drive the tubes into the madness zone the volume has to be way up.now I have gone through a few amps in the last couple of years to find the sound im looking for still cant play worth a poo but im having fun well this fifty watter will shatter your teeth. but that volume is the sound im looking for so I am considering buying a power brake has anyone used one of these and what is your feel for it the one im looking at is made by Marshall i know there are other brands out but i prefer to use marshall

I passed your question on to my brother who knows something about guitars and electronics. Here's his reply.

"If the amp doesn't have a master volume on it and just the input volume, you gotta drive it to make it break up. I have lost touch with the technology on amps (I don't use an amp much anymore because I mainly do session stuff and there are all kinds of decent "models" that work for me just fine) but there used to be something called a "Power Soak" that sucked all the power out of the amp and allowed you to run it hot but quieter. If the amp has a master volume, then there shouldn't be any problem with sound vs. volume. Other than that, stick the amp in a closet with pillows all around it and hope for the best!"

Probably doesn't tell you anything you didn't already know but just in case ....

JF