Wildwood Fishing

Wencell

Hello everyone, I'm heading to wildwood conservation camp for may15th-18th. I have never tried any fishing there. does anyone have any advice?? I thought about bringing a canoe but if there is good fishing from the shore then i would leave the canoe at home. Hope to hear from you all. Also i just went up to bayfield and caught nothing but bass....are the trout done??

Thanks for reading

Luke Wencel

Im going to give you a great bayfeild location..( from 21 turn east on 3 then turn north to go into Wildwood camp))..just before you turn into Wildwood Camp....you will see a small parking spot on top of the hill...park there ....go down the hill to the river ...( cardiac hill ...named appropriatly) once down head downstream for roughly 200 yards ...very nice pools and should be loaded with bows...i have fished this area for many years...always with great success...the hill is a deterant for most fisherman and cutting through the camp is forbidden ....this is a very rocky area ...keep your eyes peeled and walk quietly

enjoy!!!!!!!!!!! ....and your welcome in advance

Im going to give you a great bayfeild location..( from 21 turn east on 3 then turn north to go into Wildwood camp))..just before you turn into Wildwood Camp

Wildwood is in St Mary's... and ditto to what BillM said.

Take the canoe if your going to Wildwood conservation area, you'll be glad you did. I always did well with rattle raps for pike there, due to the murky water, or minnow baits with rattles in them. I mainly fished the end farthest from the dam because no gas motors are allowed, but you should find some near the sailing club across the lake from the boat launch.

Fisher Lucas: If you bring the canoe stay in the no wake zone near the campground or very tight to the shoreline. To get out in the middle of the lake where the powerboats play will only find you upside down quickly, especially on a long weekend.

As for fishing there is some decent shore fishing at the campgrounds. Any where along the rocks beside the highway will hold fish. Cast big plugs or spinners for pike.

Fish corn on bottom for big carp almost anywhere.

Panfish (perch, rockbass & bullheads) are also available.

Bass are also plentiful but out of season in May.

Good Luck: Rick

The original post was kinda misleading because he mentioned Wildwood and Bayfield. While most ppl know that Wildwood Conservation Area is near St. Marys, there is a trailer park on the bayfield river a few minutes drive from Bayfield which is also called Wildwood.

Are you guys saying you wouldnt share info with another fellow OFNer ??? lol....trust me ...if i still used this spot on a regular basis i would have to know ya personally before i gave a treasure hole like this away.... :whistling: .....consider this a perk for being a member of this forum....good luck and tight lines

Are you guys saying you wouldnt share info with another fellow OFNer ??? lol....trust me ...if i still used this spot on a regular basis i would have to know ya personally before i gave a treasure hole like this away.... :whistling: .....consider this a perk for being a member of this forum....good luck and tight lines

But I wonder how you would feel if someone else on the forum gave away your hot spot?

The real problem isn't helping this one particular fella it's others who sniff around just looking for free, easy tips like this. And then they show up and tell people and then garbage shows up and then problems follow. Rivers like this already receive enough pressure without posting on the internet exactly where to go.

I can understand wanting to help people, but it's one thing to point a guy in the right direction and another to practically walk the guy there. Personally I find the legwork and finding my own spots to be part of the fun.

There is a reason they call it cardiac hill...it IS tough going down ...and even tougher comming back up...especially with your long rod and carrying a fish ...but for the most part ...it is a great hole ...and because it is hard to get back up ...anyone out of shape isnt going to bother to try it ..and the ones in good health are going to think twice about carrying fish back up....hence ...catch and release...

i agree there maybe tooo many lurkers just looking for this kind of information and I will reframe from future hospitality as given here on this location because not all fisherman have the ethics i ( or you ) have for leaving the areas in the conditions we find them in...yes i pick up garbage off the shores all the time but have NEVER had the need to down there...i can only hope .....the fisherman that do use this location ....will respect the area as i have...a mile or so up the river are some wonderful pools as well...but because of reckless behaviours the property owners have no longer granted acess ....

I always need to be reminded that not everyone is like me or the guys i fish with ...but when i read Wildwood and Bayfield ....i was just tryin to help out...

To those that use the holes on a regular basis...i appoligize ...maybe we should draw an imaginary line between the lakes ...

I did give this location but i didnt put the fish on your hooks...thats up to you ...be sure to leave some tourist dollars in the area ....its been a few years but the all you can eat brunchs at the Bayfield Harbour used to be second to none...

GOOD PEOPLE WELCOME.....BAD PEOPLE NOT NEEDED

Luke ...the wet side of the Wildwood Lake (near St Marys) where there is a back swamp has always turned good pike for me ....under the bridge at the southside of the lake i seen an old man catch a 30 pounder. his pic is probably still posted up by the boat launch ...fantastic spot for a canoe or small craft....the fishing should be great without the pressure of the water skiers this time of year...rattlin raps and ripplin reds always worked good for me

Good Luck

ps i did catch a rubber boot there once

Welcome to the Forum

Edited by Twocoda

Luke ...the wet side of the Wildwood Lake (near St Marys) where there is a back swamp has always turned good pike for me

Ok now you got me as I've been fishing Wildwood and area for almost 40 years & don't don't know of any fishable swamp in the area. I also worked for the Conservation Authority there for one season.

Rick

Edited by Woodsman

Thank you all who responded, I will def remember everything you guys said. I joined this site last year and have loved it the whole time. Great info and lots of helpful people. I'm not here just to get info but to find other anglers and see how are things are going and whats new. I love fishing and always will. Nothing beats a relaxing day chillin by the water waiting for that bite!

Thanks all

Luke Wencel

Almost directly west of the boat launch....there is a marshy area with still water ...at the mouth of where it joins the main body the depth used to be about two feet and drop off to 6 or 7 feet ...along that shelf used to hold jacks that were easy pickins for a shad rap...its been a few years since i fished there because my son is older and can handle larger bodies of water and the motions that go with big water

Twocoda: I'm assuming you are referring to the small shallow bay across the lake from the boat launch. Just south of the sailing club still within the no wake zone. Water levels vary thoughout the year but are generally higher in the spring and by the late fall about 10' lower. At this time of year there will be about 5' of water in this small bay. There are also a few more small shallow bays on the reserviour that are quite weedy but tend to hold more bass than anything else. There is also a fishing dock in the bay that holds the boat docks. It is just east of the boat docks.

Rick