2 Weeks left until I make the big move over the pond

ben306

As I'm on here more and more now, I thought I might as well do a bit of a thread on it. Well its all come around very quickly, but 2 weeks tomorrow, Ill be on a plane over the big pond on my way to new experiences in Toronto. All my paperwork is sorted, flights booked, health insurance cover etc sorted.

Luckily my Girlfriend has already been living there a year and so all the hard work is done (sorting an appartment out, furniture etc). And its a nice place at Fork York on the water front in Toronto

As much as Im excited about it Im crapping it aswell. Im working my notice (8 days left) on a job that paid well, nothing lined up in Toronto yet, not through the want of trying tho. 100's of emails and follow up calls and nothing. A few of the agencies have said Ive a better chance once Im there and can attend interviews/ start straight away, I just hope this is the case.

I work as a Quantity Surveyor here in the UK, 7 years experience with 2 large Main Contractors, University degree from a 5 year day release course, graduated 2 years ago. So if anyone can give me any pointers on finding work (im looking at Quantity Surveying/Estimating/Cost Monitoring type roles) then please let me know.

My only other idea so far is to try and get casual/unskilled work to take the pressure off while I try and get work relating to my career.

Dont really know what Im writing here, suppost I'm just after settling my nerves maybe, info from people who have had a similar experience?

Either way, I hope this turns out to be the best risk Ive ever took, its by far the biggest and isnt helped with the economy as it is today! Hopefully the fishing alone will make up for it ;):Gonefishing:

Dont really know what Im writing here, suppost I'm just after settling my nerves maybe, info from people who have had a similar experience?

Either way, I hope this turns out to be the best risk Ive ever took, its by far the biggest and isnt helped with the economy as it is today! Hopefully the fishing alone will make up for it ;):Gonefishing:

Dont worry mate...you'll be fine...and yup the fishing alone will be worth it!

We moved here from Devon 2 years ago...neither of us had jobs lined up, but we were up and running as soon as we got here really. Like you, thought i/we may have to work at walmart for a while till we found jobs similar to our careers at home....but i thought ....what the hell.....we live on the lake......as long as i can afford the mortgage...food....and BAIT....cant lose.

Look forward to your 1st fishing report.

Dont worry mate...you'll be fine...and yup the fishing alone will be worth it!

We moved here from Devon 2 years ago...neither of us had jobs lined up, but we were up and running as soon as we got here really. Like you, thought i/we may have to work at walmart for a while till we found jobs similar to our careers at home....but i thought ....what the hell.....we live on the lake......as long as i can afford the mortgage...food....and BAIT....cant lose.

Look forward to your 1st fishing report.

Yup, and hearing from my Brit Buddies that joined the Canadian Military, just about anywhere in Canada is more affordable to own a house in Britian. I wouldnt worry about a job as long as you keep looking. Problem is that we have too many people that give up easy, or expect someone else will hand it to them. You can always move within Canada or do like alot of others do till they get sorted out and thats work at camps, say Fort McMurray 2 weeks out, two weeks home.

Haha, sounds good.

Thanks guys, just want it to happen now, Im all geared up for it but still got this wait and these last weeks of work to do.

As for finding work, i wont be giving up, I wont be allowed, the girlfriend will confiscate the rod until I have found something if I dont sort something out sharpish!! lol. Just hope its easy enough to pick up unskilled work, suppose I'll find out all for my self in a few weeks

Ans yes, I'll have to get myself a little report done when I've wet a line!

If the economy was a bit better I coulda maybe helped, but then you would be stuck up north where all there is to do is fish.

How do you like estimating structural steel?

Sualt Saint Marie aint NORTH...lol :whistling:

Edited by limeyangler