Going to Rice Lake this Weekend...

rbaquial

Hey,

I checked the REG's... appears only YELLOW PERCH, CRAPPIE, SUNFISH, TROUT, SALMON, WHITEFISH and CATFISH are open. I've never caught a WHITEFISH before, so I'm interested in what tackle I'll need to hook into one. I'm pretty sure there aren't any TROUT/SALMON in Rice Lake - then again, I don't know... I've only had a handful of chances to fish there.

Any suggestions on what tackle I should bring when I head to Rice Lake on Friday Evening? I'm already bringing tackle necessary to catch PERCH, SUNFISH and CRAPPIE... But, what would I need to catch WHITEFISH?

What about live bait? or even the Gulp!Alive stuff? Anything anyone can suggest for that?

Thanks!

RoB

Well I wasn't in Rice Lake.. but lower on the Trent Severn last monday for Crappie.. they were hittin hard anything pink and white.. I had a white teardrop tiped with a old piece of pink power bait.. (looked like a 1/2 meal worm) after about 15 crappie i lost the pink bait, and was just using the white teardrop and they were still hittin hard!

Like they said, there are no whitefish in rice lake. Tons of big crappie though. Look for them on flats and shallow bays in about 4-8 fow. Tubes and tiny crankbaits are best. personally I use crankbaits for them. Tends to weed out the bigger ones. Good Luck!

Yes smalliefisher. I agree. with the season opener this weekend and the anticipated warmth and multitude of fishers, I am sure they will have the docks in and if they dont, then like Stoty mentions, a long rope will launch a boat in any water... At 20+ degrees I won't be afraid to get my feet wet for a shot at filling the well with tasty slabs....

This is GONNA BE GREEEEEAT!!!!!!

Nipper...

Twin Cedars on Rice Lake has permanent, concrete docks, so launching with any height of water level is possible.

So does the launch at Hiawatha.

Dirk...

Twin Cedars Resort and Marina

Road: 32 Sandy Bay Road, Hastings

Co-ords: N44 15.591 W78 02.425

Ramp Conditions: Concrete

Cost: $10

Shore Fishing Access: Yes, probably have to be staying at resort

Other: Cottage rental place, launch is listed as public. Owner is Steve.

Hiawatha

Road: Hiawatha Line

Co-ords: N44 10.811 W78 12.033

Cost: Donation

Shore Fishing Access: Yes

Other: Dock access, store/gas bar/restaurant around the corner from the launch

Edited by diggyj

Those concrete docks could very well be under water. I don't know for sure, I just know the water is really high right now. Same as every year.

Bring tubes and floats. That's all you'll need. Pink and white is good, red/black is also good.

Look for the crowds of boats......you'll see them :)

Sinker

Yes smalliefisher. I agree. with the season opener this weekend and the anticipated warmth and multitude of fishers, I am sure they will have the docks in and if they dont, then like Stoty mentions, a long rope will launch a boat in any water... At 20+ degrees I won't be afraid to get my feet wet for a shot at filling the well with tasty slabs....

This is GONNA BE GREEEEEAT!!!!!!

Nipper...

oooh for sure!

Twin Cedars on Rice Lake has permanent, concrete docks, so launching with any height of water level is possible.

So does the launch at Hiawatha.

Dirk...

Twin Cedars Resort and Marina

Road: 32 Sandy Bay Road, Hastings

Co-ords: N44 15.591 W78 02.425

Cost: $10

Shore Fishing Access: Yes, probably have to be staying at resort

Other: Cottage rental place, launch is listed as public. Owner is Steve.

Hiawatha

Road: Hiawatha Line

Co-ords: N44 10.811 W78 12.033

Cost: Donation

Shore Fishing Access: Yes

Other: Dock access, store/gas bar/restaurant around the corner from the launch

hey, do you have the phone#'s to these places by chance? Also, isnt there a shop out in Bewdley? I remember seeing one....not sure..