ram mount problem

rob v

I've heard a lot about mounting my new fishfinder using the ram mount system. So I picked up the appropriate size mount and mounted it to the dash of my crestliner. I must say the theory behind the system is good. I can angle/manouver the display in a countless number of positions. My problem however is the area on my dash that is available to fasten the base is a bit flimsy - its an area of relatively thing plastic/vinyl that already has a few holes drilled into it for mounting previous units by the previous owners. Bottom line the unit bounces around like a bobble-head.

Is there a solution to this problem ? Do I need a larger base ? Or should I try to reinforce my dash somehow ? I have a windshield on the dash that prevents me from mounting the unit anywhere else.

If I can't stabilize the dash/unit should I resign myself to just mounting it directly to the dash ?

Any suggestions from those who know would be welcome.

Thx.

I don't know what model ram mount I have - the base is about two inches in diameter. The unit doesn't slip on the mount itself - i.e. I think the unit/ball is large enough - it's just the dash. I'm not sure I'll be able to get underneath of it to re-inforce it but like a few of you have said that may be the solution. It's kind of tight under there and I'm not sure how easy it'll be to re-inforce it from the bottom - I'll have to have another look when I get a chance next weekend - the boat's kept close to the lake vs my driveway.

Rob, if you can't get it solid on top of the console, what about mounting it on the side like I did with the GPS on my Crestliner ??

Very easy to do with a piece of aluminum bent at a 90, then a small hole drilled thru the side panel with a furrel and it brings the wiring right up to your fuse panel. Nice and neat and it won't be in your way at all.

Cnv0108.jpg

Thanks Lew - that may be a good option to consider. My dash is very similar to what yours was. I have mine mounted where your fish finder was (on the right)- but I have it on the ram mount. Not sure what yours was like but that bit of plastic beisde the guages is not very solid - and I'm not certain I can get under it to re-inforce it - there's another ledge of structure just below the top that forms a gap between it and the top of the dash - about an inch and a half of space between the bottom ledge and the top. So unless I can brace that up somehow I may have to mount directly to the dash which limits the positioning options - or perhaps consider your side mount idea. The way you had your GPS mounted - did it bounce around much while you were running ?

I think I know what you're talking about, there is a gap between the top and underside of Crestliner dash, that makes it impossible to reinforce it from underneath

get a 4"x4" (1/8 or thicker aluminum plate) or as wide as you can fit on top, secure it with 3M 4200 adhesive and 4xSS screws in each corner, (that will cover and seal most of old holes too) let it dry for a day and then secure your RAM base with same adhesive and some SS screws on that plate, for your wires, drill a hole on the side if speedometer housing, once you run the wires, seal that with the same adhesive, now the water will not leak below because the hole is higher,

if your RAM mount moves in rough water, let it sit all the way forward and down on top of fuel gauge with a piece of pipe insulation under it. that keeps the stress off the dash too.

that's what I did and it works great with a heavy 7" lowrance sonar/GPS.

My dash is very similar to what yours was. I have mine mounted where your fish finder was (on the right)- but I have it on the ram mount. Not sure what yours was like but that bit of plastic beisde the guages is not very solid - and I'm not certain I can get under it to re-inforce it -

The way you had your GPS mounted - did it bounce around much while you were running ?

Actually Rob, where that sonar is sitting on top of the dash was excellent for mounting electronics. It was solid aluminum, flat & strong, and very accesible from underneath and extremely easy to get at.

The only reason I put the GPS on the side was because there wasn't enough room for both units on top. That side unit was quite stable too though on the Ram mount, I just had to make sure it was locked down tight and it only moved when I hit too big a wave at too big a speed :lol:

thanks guys - and stonefish your idea may be helpfull. it would appear they've changed the counsol somewhat from the model they put in your crestliner lew - mine definitely has nothing solid like you're describing on the top of the dash to mount this too. I'll have to work on the re-inforcement or the side mount ideas.

here's a picture of the dash - where the garmin is mounted is where I put the new unit. that section on the top of the dash is a thin layer of vinyl/plastic and about and inch below that is a section of framing that would make it very hard to re-inforce from the bottom. Lew's idea for mounting on the side makes sense - but if I could reinforce that dash somehow it would be my preference to mount it there.

IMG_0042.JPG