The Carp Are In!

Paully

Went fishin yesterday for some carp with a buddy of mine..... dident get a single bite for the first 2 hours or so..

Then all of a sudden my rod doubles over, lands in the water and gets pulled straight into the dark waters.. :wallbash: There goes my 10'6 fenwick complete with a nice quantum reel.

The first carp of the season steals 200 bucks from me....

I hope the fish gods will be pleased :worthy:

My Question is... why dont they make rods that float?

Alyways... i got a few choice words out and kept fishin with my buddy, well , he kept fishing.... we managed to land 2 in the next hour or so... but none had a rod attached to it <_<

If anybody Catches a huge carp with a surprise attached to it ... let me know..

Ha ha sounds familar. Happend to me twice in a life time. But no more! :angry: I tie my rod with a anchor rope to a thick solid tree!! :lol: I didn't get my rods back either, it went out too far. Saw the bubbles come up from the bottom of the lake while it was being dragged out. :( (Sewage water)

DSN

Oh dude that blows.

I`ve lost two rods myself but they were not that expensive.]

I did snag a rod and a reel one day and when i pulled it out it had a carp on the end of the line.

Maybe you can get a spoon and cast around maybe you`ll hook into your line or something.

ouch...maybe getting a baitrunner will be agood idea ey? there are more options now a days. shimano , quantum, penn?

you can always set your drag loose, then tighten up when you get a hit, it'll take practice. oh and not to get too exited when you get a hit bec you'll end up with a birds nest.

good luck

ouch...maybe getting a baitrunner will be agood idea eh? there are more options now a days. shimano , quantum, penn?

you can always set your drag loose, then tighten up when you get a hit, it'll take practice. oh and not to get too excited when you get a hit because you'll end up with a birds nest.

good luck

Ya...like the man sez...a baitrunner takes some getting used to...hard to remember to shut the free spool off before setting the hook when your alarm is screaming and the fish is stripping off line...then try untangeling a bird's nest with 20 pounds of angry carp on the other end...took me four lost carp before I got the hang of it...

Before I had a Euro type carp outfit given to me, CPH's wife got a big laugh out of him and me scrambling down the bank chasing my old carp rod (Ugly Stick) and reel (Zebco Saltwater spinning)...but we got it ok...

A baitrunner is the way to go... :thumbsup_anim:

Before I had a Euro type carp outfit given to me, CPH's wife got a big laugh out of him and me scrambling down the bank chasing my old carp rod (Ugly Stick) and reel (Zebco Saltwater spinning)...but we got it ok...

Yeah she still chuckles about that whenever the subject of Carp Point comes up. If a video of that little adventure made it on utube I'm sure alot of people would find it amusing.

The do make floating rods. I saw a kids floating rod...problem is the weight of the reel sinks it....but hey, if a fish hauls that baby into the water and the line snaps AND the reel somehow comes off the handle then you are golden!!!

Sorry to hear about the rod....at least a fish took it and you didn't kick it in the water.

Congrats on the catch, and we all have stories of tackle going in the water. Often, the chances are good that it didn't travel far before snagging or the line breaking so maybe casting a heavy spoon or weight around the area where it went in will get it back.

The last time mine went in, I dove in after it. Got the rod and reel back, lost the carp, and trashed the camera and cell phone in my pocket which I hadn't thought about when I saw my gear disappear (a G Loomis rod and new Stradic).

Still, carp are a great fish. Like everyone says, spend a little bit on the basics- especially a bait runner- and get ready to enjoy some of the best fishing there is. Caught at least a dozen today myself here in Hamilton- they're really starting to bite.

There are great spots all around Hamilton Harbour- fish up to 30s, but mostly teens and 20s Mind you I've caught some big ones out of the Grand around Kitchener. The Speed and Conestoga also have good carp- apparently lots of mirrors in the Speed.

Honestly, I've found that bait makes a big difference. Boilies catch bigger fish. The first time I fished one of my favourite spots around Kitchener the guys were all getting small carp- under 5 pounds. I was talking with one guy who said that the fishing was great- he'd been coming for seven years and catching lots, even a 12 pounder two years ago.

Within fifteen minutes I got a carp that weighed in at 16 lb one a boilie and method ball, and ended up with five in the 12-18 lb range that morning. Of course, luck has a lot to do with it, but the other anglers were catching lots of small fish on sweet corn whilst I was getting bigger fish on boilies. Since then I've fished that spot on boilies and giant corn, along with other spots on the Grand and consistently gotten bigger fish- when I haven't blanked completely of course!

Edited by iCarp