my dads 50th

BassAsin

i decided to make my dad a gift for his 50th instead of buying him something. i ended up making him an end table that matches a few of his lamps and book shelves i've made for him in the past.

tools used:

- chainsaw

- hatchet

- pocket knife

- drill

- table saw

- spokeshave

the first few steps were pretty simple in cutting down a few cedar trees, followed by peeling the bark and shaving them down into a hexagon shape, with a knife and spokeshave.

the next steps were hand carving 1/2 inch spindles on the ends of 6 pieces with a knife to slide into holes, drilled out. a mortice and tenon kinda deal

a dado cut was put into 4 of the pieces with the table saw for the 1x6 cedar board to be slid into holding up the top

finally all was put into place, glued and varnished with a clear coat.

Matt!

step_1_3.jpg

step_4.jpg

step_5.jpg

step_6.jpg

step_7.jpg

step_8.jpg

step_9.jpg

done_.jpg

some great work there Matt.... stare at it a long time before you carve numbers in it.. He'll remember the occasion, I'm sure! The indents may also tip his beer bottle... lol

i have already thought of the tipping beer Wayne so i'm lookin tomorrow for a 24 1/2" square glass top for it and maybe some pictures underneath as well, it looks good right now and i dont know if i wanna go at it with the knife!

Looks great just the way it is! I like the idea of setting pictures under glass on the top instead. Awesome work man. I'm sure he will remember what it was for without the 50 on it. Now for one of the pictures, perhaps you can talk real nice to Terry and ask him for a 50 dollar bill with your Dad's picture on it and put that under the glass.

Cheers, Ron...

Awesome job man...

I need some help figuring out what to do for my dad. It's his 60th bday on the 25th. He fell off the roof in November and broke his back. He's been in a body brace ever since. Poor guy hasn't been able to twist, bend down, etc. for 6 months and might have rods in his back by June.

I have absolutely no idea what to do for his bday.

Edited by Governator

Nice work.

I have built a set of bunk beds ( now single beds ) a single bed and an outdoor bench . Fun , and cheap to build!

I am by no means an expert but you want to make sure your wood is dry (especially the tenon) or thing will start to fall apart. The wood with the mortise ( hole) can be a bit 'green ' as it will shrink and tighten on the tenon.

I usually cheat and hide some wood screws :rolleyes:

The bunk beds where the most fun .The vertical members were from an old dead apple tree from our property , lots of character . headboard made of cedar and maple ,It turned out well .Wish I could find the pictures :angry:

TB

Edited by tinbanger

Awesome job man...

I need some help figuring out what to do for my dad. It's his 60th bday on the 25th. He fell off the roof in November and broke his back. He's been in a body brace ever since. Poor guy hasn't been able to twist, bend down, etc. for 6 months and might have rods in his back by June.

I have absolutely no idea what to do for his bday.

so sorry to hear about that, as for a gift i wouldnt no what the heck to do, a comfy couch or lazy boy? sounds like hes gonna be layed up a while.

Nice work.

I have built a set of bunk beds ( now single beds ) a single bed and an outdoor bench . Fun , and cheap to build!

I am by no means an expert but you want to make sure your wood is dry (especially the tenon) or thing will start to fall apart. The wood with the mortise ( hole) can be a bit 'green ' as it will shrink and tighten on the tenon.

I usually cheat and hide some wood screws :rolleyes:

The bunk beds where the most fun .The vertical members were from an old dead apple tree from our property , lots of character . headboard made of cedar and maple ,It turned out well .Wish I could find the pictures :angry:

TB

all the mortise pieces were dry, i figured if they were wet they would shrink a bit and open the holes a bit but none the less there may be the need for a screw or two in the future