Bowmanville Zoo. (NF)

nancur373

My mom and dad are comming the first week in June. Was wanting to go to the zoo but not the Toronto zoo. We want to actually SEE the animals. Someone told me to go to Bowmanville. Anyone here offer any advice for Bowmanville or any other zoo in GTA for that matter. I live in Acton (Guelph). Keep in mind I have a 2 year old and a 3 month old.

Thanks people,

Curt

Bowmanville Zoo is perfect for you! It's a smaller zoo, but can still take you most of the day to walk through it and see the animal show they have at the Animatheatre (it's actually a really good show they put on). A lot of animals you see in the movies have come from the Bowmanville zoo. They have some animals walking around freely that the kids can touch. They also have some parts where you can actually feed the animals. There are coin operated machines at those exhibits...you get a handful of food. We took our little one there at 3 months up until about age 4 and she loved it each time. It also has a small amusement park. Last time we were there, they didn't have the splash pad...but that's just another reason to go.

They have a website...

http://www.bowmanvillezoo.com/index.html

Bowmanville zoo is ok, but I'd go to the metro zoo if your looking to spend a day. You can do bowmanville in much less than a day, and I honestly think you'll be dissappointed coming from guelph. We usually get a family pass there, just because its so close, but by no means will it take you all day to see everything there.

Sinker

Don't forget to say hello to Maggie the monkey, who lives at the zoo and picks the Stanley Cup playoff match-ups on TSN. She's retiring after this year at the age of 20. I was just watching her pick at the back of James Duthie's head, looking for bugs. She picked the Bruins over the Habs so give her a thumbs up from me :D .

http://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=274261

It's been awhile since I was at Bowmanville. It was a once a season MUST visit when my kids where small though. We all enjoyed it when the kids where young, but a half day is plenty of time to take it in.

Metro Zoo was also a MUST every year. Both different. But you can't go wrong with either.

I hope you get a nice day for your outing.

Bomanville zoo is great, especially for the age of your kids. If you find that you go through it too fast and have ore time to spend, you could still take in Jungle and Cat World in Kirby or even better you could spend the day at Peterborough Zoo where I believe admission is free and the kids will have a hoot in the monkey house feeding the Carp that come in looking for the food which you buy for a quarter.

Cheers, Ron...

I'll 2nd Ron's suggestion of Orno Cat World. If your into exotic cats, and want to see one close and I mean close, this is the place for you.

The Toronto Zoo is nice, but you just don't get close to the animals. Orno Cat World puts you within feet of these incredible animals. You could do the Bowmanville zoo in the morning and arrive at Orno Cat World for 1:00pm feeding time quite easily. It anit fancy, but without a doubt, the best place to see lions, tigers, panthers etc... up close and personal.

HH

All good suggestions. While your in the area and need more to do , you could try the Reptile Zoo on #7 about 15 minutes east of Peterborough. I took my niece and nephew there last year and they both enjoyed it. Try to time your visit for one of the seminars. The kids learn a lot about snakes and turtles aligators and crocadiles and even get a hands on demonstration with a python. Takes about an hour to an hour and a half to go through.

Have fun.

The coolest zoo I've been to yet is the Northwood Ranch in Port Perry. It's a lot less busy than most places and it allows you to be a little more involved with the animals. They have an old toothless black bear that you can feed by hand, and last year they had a pen with a couple tiger cubs and a lion cub that you could walk right into and play with. Seeing them feed the lions and wolves is also pretty cool to watch.