Fishing Toronto Islands/Surrounding area

ben306

Well Ill be out there in 3 weeks and after Ive had a few weeks to settle in I plan to get my licence sorted and start with abit of fishing.

With me living on the water front at Fork York, and only having public transport as a means to get aout its most likely I'll be spending my time over on the Toronto islands.

Just after what fish Id expect and on what methods/baits/lures etc you'd fish for them, as obviously Im expecting things to be a little different then here in the UK.

Is there anywhere else within a close distance worth trying?

Any info or pointers much appreciated

Well Ill be out there in 3 weeks and after Ive had a few weeks to settle in I plan to get my licence sorted and start with abit of fishing.

With me living on the water front at Fork York, and only having public transport as a means to get aout its most likely I'll be spending my time over on the Toronto islands.

Just after what fish Id expect and on what methods/baits/lures etc you'd fish for them, as obviously Im expecting things to be a little different then here in the UK.

Is there anywhere else within a close distance worth trying?

Any info or pointers much appreciated

Hey Ben you're in my neck of the woods. I've actually got a place overlooking the Armoury. We mostly fish pike and bass in the area, but there's a plethora of carp and some panfish to be had also.

We should link up.. trade some tips and techniques. I'd love to try fishing esox a la UK.

A teaser..

gallery_439_445_91852.jpg

Opener's just around the corner! yyyeeeeeeehhh

cheers

HD

Ahh nice, yeah we have an appartment at 231 Fork York Bvd so will be near enough in the same location.

Take it the pike and bass are taken on lures?

Carp, they taken on boilies or that not something thats done out there? I did notice a large (25-30lb) carp dead near the water park? Last time I was over.

Panfish? new one to me that!

Ahh nice, yeah we have an appartment at 231 Fork York Bvd so will be near enough in the same location.

Carp, they taken on boilies or that not something thats done out there? I did notice a large (25-30lb) carp dead near the water park? Last time I was over.

I'm not much of a pike guy but the majority of pike I've caught have come to minnow baits like Rapalas

As for carp, if you're fishing the islands in spring, canned corn, maize and worms work extremely well (especially if you're into stalking them). Boilies do work as well but I find they're better in the late summer/fall than in Spring at the Islands. I love fishing the islands for carp.

Panfish = sunfish, bluegill, rockbass, perch and crappies.

BTW Are you on other message forums in the UK like CarpForum?

Welcome to Toronto when you get here!

You will find that Toronto islands has many fishing options to be explored, and you will be ideally located for quick access

to the ferries to get there. Many people fish for pike there but carp are also a fish targeted often.

Try using the search function on the board here and you will find lots of info for fishing that area.

Rapala husky jerks or x-raps are popular choices for pike there. Use of a flourocarbon leader is also a good choice.

An avid angler from the U.K participated on this board during his stay.

Here is a link to his experiences. Good fishing!

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...ult_type=topics

This fish was taken on a williams whitefish, ripping her through the cabbage. But we'll fish jerk baits, inline spinners and spinner baits, some plastic as well.

Boilies are a staple for carps pretty much anywhere.. I've seen folk use em at the Islands.

Lotsa panfish at there too if the pike aren't on the feed.

cheers

Edited by Highdrifter

ahh, well Im up on the 14 floor! ;)

yeah looking forward to getting out there tho the idea of coming without having secured work is bothering me a little as I dont want to be left without a job all together.

Will have to see how much weight I have left in my bag until I know how much of my tackle I can bring although I expect Ill be buying quite abit out there

Hey Ben. Small world...I used to be on the 17th floor at 231 fort york last year. You can try directly accross in the park beside ontario place for Pike. You'll also see a tonne of carp. That's about the closest spot within walking distance. Good for a few casts and you'll meet a few other city anglers there as well.

Thanks.

Think I'll be picking your brains as soon as I land.

Plan to bring my travel rod and lures to get me going, but Ill feel more at home targetting the carp so will see how things pan out once Im there, although do like the idea of exploring the islands/harbour front with the spinner rod.

Are there any 'hotspots' to aim for or any no go areas?

Other good places that are accessible by public transit are Grenadier Pond near the High Park Subway stop or the Humber River by the Old Mill subway stop. Grenadier pond is good mostly for panfish, and at the humber you can get some cats and carp (and billions of Goby) One of my favourite places to fish around here is the Marina at the bottom of Spadina Street. Many good pike there.

lol- right there. I usually fish on the other side though, in the marina.

Fishing around the boats?

Is there any issues with people fishing, like any no go areas along the front? whats it like up towards the water park/rememberance drive area?

Center island is my favorite, the main channel seems to hold the largest pike.

Occasionally you'll get them 35+ inches...

jon-to-pike-300x225.jpg

but mostly you get them around 28-32 inches...

May is primetime for pike becuase the weeds are low enough to pull a variety of lures through. I mainly use spinner baits, but spoons and x-raps are good lures as well.

Edited by mepps

jon-to-pike-300x225.jpg

May is primetime for pike becuase the weeds are low enough to pull a variety of lures through. I mainly use spinner baits, but spoons and x-raps are good lures as well.

do you just get on the ferry and get off at the island, find the channel and fish? Noone gives you any grief?

jon-to-pike-300x225.jpg

Ahh have seen your website when Ive been searching on the internet for information. I'll let you know how I get on.

Dont think I like the idea of it being crowded, Like the peace and quiet haha. Yeah, plan to get a licence and card?? when I arrive along with finding a cheap folding ned to stick in my rucksack. Wheres my best bet to head for the licence

Dont think I like the idea of it being crowded, Like the peace and quiet haha. Yeah, plan to get a licence and card?? when I arrive along with finding a cheap folding ned to stick in my rucksack. Wheres my best bet to head for the licence

You can get a licence at Wilson's fly shop in Toronto near Queen st and Jarvis.

Im so excited to get into my first Pike!

Im usually a salmon and trout guy who just moved here a couple years ago!

anyone have luck with Flies or Top water lures?

do you have to cast very far? how deep of water are they hanging out in?

and I assume its catch+release?..

thx