Musky Reel Question / Opinion

Spiel

Hi Chris;

Abu's are good reels and this is an upgraded model, so it should be even better.

The 5500 series is the medium width spool and the 6500 series is the wider spool.

Mechanically they are the same.

The 5500's are easier to cast with, than the wide spool model, in my opinion.

Also in my opinion, you don't need a super duty reel for Musky...The fish will fight hard but they aren't Salmon and won't turn and run for a mile. It's the baits that force you into heavier reels. Most Bass size reels aren't built to throw baits over about one ounce.

Many of us started with Abu's and I recently bought three used ones to start Musky fishing again.

The main difference between the 5500 and the 6500 is line capacity. If you really feel like you need the extra yardage, then go 6500. You could however go 5500 and spool it up without the backing. Both have the same guts, and thats what really matters when throwing larger baits. The 5500 should be a little more comfortable in the hand as well.

I have seen my share of lower end models give up the ghost when fighting a decent muskie...reels that were only used to throw bass spinnerbaits. It's whats inside that counts!

They are good reels for musky, and that is a good buy. The only issues with Abu reels are.....

- gear ratio is too high (fast instead of power) for pulling the monster inline spinners (ie. double cowgirls with #10 colorado blades). As long as you're not reeling those in you're fine. (don't consider this a big issue......very few reels can work a double cowgirl....this reel will cover 99% of musky baits).

- the old drag systems aren't great....as far as i can tell that one (the carbon matrix?) is a new version, which is awesome.

Where are you finding it for $80 refurbished? If a store is selling them at that price instead of an individual, please point me in their direction....wouldn't mind picking up an extra for myself.

Edited by cram

Fine reel, like mentioned an upgrade over the standard C3s of which I've a few and they've lasted for me and they get a LOT of use. I'd recommend the 6500/6501 size. It's a good all-round reel that'll handle most baits with the exception of the obscenly hard pulling ones. Line capacity isn't the issue, stronger drag, internals and bigger spool/handle are and I don't think the 5500 size has a clicker.

Edited by Raf

Abu's are not a bad reel, I find they are not heavy duty enough for the bigger fish though and the drag system is questionable especially on a hard hit and hook set. I used to run them but after having failure problems I upgraded from them. I have had one fail during a fight. I consider them almost disposible reels as after a couple yrs it almost not worth replacing gears/drag.

That is a good price for a decent reel but they don't even come close to the curado for quality and casting...but then the curado is alot more $$$$

This is just my experience and I'm hard on my equipment...others may not have had these issues.

The only thing I find. Is the thumb rest on Abu's.

I have 4 of them.

This was not a problem for mono,But with prower pro being limp.

On long casts.The line that is loosening up on the spool has a tendency of hitting

the rest, causing nesting.

I took the rest off.

Make sure have oil close by. To much water gets on the bailer drive,Slowing down the cast.

Thanks guys, I am familiar with smaller versions of these reels (own 3) but was curious what the bigger reels were like, I think I've even used one or two 6500's (borrowed). At first I was leaning towards the 5500 thinking I don't need all that line capacity as a few of you noted but it was less coin for the 6500 (factory refurbished).

I can get a brand new 5500 for $102.00 American if I act fast. Might go that route. :dunno:

Thanks for your help.

Many of us started with Abu's and I recently bought three used ones to start Musky fishing again.

Couldn't stay away eh Garry.... :D

I have been using Abu 6500 C3s since the mid '80s, when fishing for Salmon in Geogian Bay. Never had a problem with any reel. I am currently using the same reels for Muskie fishing, and totally satisfied. these are sturdy, well made Swedish reels, not an Asian import. My .02$, go for it, you'll not regret.

John