Turkey loads

richyb

Hey turkey hunters, reading the other thread has me hauling out all of my turkey gear and getting ready. I would like to get one with the bow this year but for my back up plan the boomer will be ready. Ive got a stoeger p350 pump 3 1/2" ( cheap but it works) The last 2 springs i have been shooting 3 1/2 " #5's but im thinking about picking up a box of number 4's. Will the number 4's have a little more range than the 5's ? should I stay with the 3 1/2 " or downsize to the 3" for a little more speed ? thanks guys ! GOBBLE GOBBLE

Hey turkey hunters, reading the other thread has me hauling out all of my turkey gear and getting ready. I would like to get one with the bow this year but for my back up plan the boomer will be ready. Ive got a stoeger p350 pump 3 1/2" ( cheap but it works) The last 2 springs i have been shooting 3 1/2 " #5's but im thinking about picking up a box of number 4's. Will the number 4's have a little more range than the 5's ? should I stay with the 3 1/2 " or downsize to the 3" for a little more speed ? thanks guys ! GOBBLE GOBBLE

I dont really think its all about speed or size of the shot. Although generally, 4's will go further than 5's because of the added inertia they have.

Focus more on pattern. If it patterns tight, you'll get that turkey regardless. Try a few brands of shells and if you have more than one super tight choke mix and match chokes and shells. Remember to label your targets too.

hey richyb

i'm shootin a remington 870 pump 28 inch barrel been using "kent ultimate diamond shot" 2 3/4" 1 5/8 load charge shot 5 seems to hold a tight pattern, at 45 yards i dropped one and a few out at 30 holds pretty tight out as far as 50yds lets say a 24" diameter at 50 yards. but same as you the plan is to take one with the bow. my dads winchester has a 30 inch barrel full choke as well but his gun holds a better pattern with plain old winchester 2/34" shot #4 so maybe experiment a bit before the 27th!

ps did ya ever find a tranny for that 4.6L?

Matt

hey richyb

i'm shootin a remington 870 pump 28 inch barrel been using "kent ultimate diamond shot" 2 3/4" 1 5/8 load charge shot 5 seems to hold a tight pattern, at 45 yards i dropped one and a few out at 30 holds pretty tight out as far as 50yds lets say a 24" diameter at 50 yards. but same as you the plan is to take one with the bow. my dads winchester has a 30 inch barrel full choke as well but his gun holds a better pattern with plain old winchester 2/34" shot #4 so maybe experiment a bit before the 27th!

Matt

Ya i got the tranny rebuilt, 4.3. I have a carlsons choke tube think its .650 I have been shooting wincheters so maybe ill try a kent load and see how they work , thanks .

hey richyb

Matt

I'm also shootin a remington 870 pump 28 inch barrel been using "kent ultimate diamond shot" 2 3/4" 1 5/8 load charge, nice pattern....no luck yet however! dang.

10 shots were 16 bucks i think

pretty cheap when ya only need 2 shots per year after ya get a pattern on it.

4-6 shots should give ya a real good idea on pattern,leaves ya enough shells to shoot a few birds this year.

Pattern, pattern, pattern. The only way to know is to pattern your gun with different loads. Loads will perform differently in different guns and choke combinations. What works well for someone might not perform very well at all in your gun. Good luck.

Pattern, pattern, pattern. The only way to know is to pattern your gun with different loads. Loads will perform differently in different guns and choke combinations. What works well for someone might not perform very well at all in your gun. Good luck.

How true Ben.

I went through 4 boxes of slugs(for a deer hunt) a few years back, just to see what one worked the best. I would of thought the remington would of worked best,but turned out the Challangers were the best for my gun.

As for the turkey loads,the ones pop does do just fine,so that saved me some cash.

I,ll try to get out this weekend and show you a few shot patterns this weekend.

Guest gbfisher

Your old Sig is showing............... :D

ok well i checked out my stash of shells and i have winchester number 4's and 5's already ( bad memory) , so i went and got a box of the kent diamond shot 3 1/2" #5's . Maybe tomorow ill go and try each one and post pics of my results.