Turkey hunters

misfish

Is it just me,or are the numbers down? I know it,s been a hard winter, snow wise,but I aint seeing the numbers I did last season during my scouting.

It seems the numbers are a bit lower, but, they've only started to show in the last 2 weeks. All of a sudden they are back, groups of 10-15 and a couple bigger flocks. Saw a group last thursday, stopped and watched them for about 15 minutes, couple of little skirmishes amongst the 2 biggest Toms, the hens were called like drunken sailors. Quite the show.

I'm not a turkey hunter, but I've seen close to 30 turkeys on my commute to work over about 3 days in the general London area. Usually see them in groups of 6-12 or so. Had a few fly over the work van the other day. I was just walking through a woodlot on the weekend and one saw me and ran off and then a few minutes later one got spooked by me that was sitting up in a tree or bush and it shot out flying and disappeared. Since ppl have been talking about turkey hunting I've been seeing them on a regular basis and almost always within view of the road, often just metres off the shoulder.

Must just be that area, Lots of birds over this way.

My brother guides full time during the turkey season and never hunts south of 89.

Birds over here are still grouped up but the Toms have been strutting for about a month.

The mrs,s and I will be out again this weekend to see what we can see.

I know of an area that they are there,but too many guys in the area.Public land.

We did get alot of snow this past season, so Im sure they are down.

I just want one for the table. Boy they sure taste good.

We got a lot of snow but had so many melt off's I dont think it hindered the population any.

I gotta agree nothing tastier then turkey!

Maybe that fisher I seen during the fall hunt and the coy dogs, have something to do with the decline?

I have seen some tracks,and the land owner has seen them,but thier numbers have dwindeled.

Thanks for the replys.

but had so many melt off's

The bush was like a swamp this past winter.Could that have something to do with it?

Edited by misfish

Lots of birds up my way misfish, just starting to see the big groups again popping up everywhere. The winter was fairly harsh in the pretty river valley and i found quite a few dead birds while shed hunting and theres still 4 feet of snow in places or more. Coyote numbers are up your way which could have alot to do with the decrease of birds and flooded corn and soy fields mean less food for the deer and turkeys to compete with. Give it another two weeks and hopefully you'll start seeing the birds grouping up, and get rid of that fisher and shoot the coy dogs.

cheers

mike

Innisfil seems to be ok, i've seen good numbers recently....well up until the snow fall.

Counting down the days until opening. One thing we can count on, is that it will be wet.

Below after temps expected for balance of April, with snow and rain for the next 14 for sure.

i think a bunch of these folks are holding their compass backwards, dont know the difference between north and south. hahah i've sen plenty of them north but way north of there, pembroke area the fields are opened up and the flocks have been dwindling everyday, from 25-40 oer group down to 6-7 soon to be 2-3 by season opener i would think.

i think a bunch of these folks are holding their compass backwards, dont know the difference between north and south. hahah

I know were suppose to be north,but we are pretty much centrally located now.LOL

Both jakes I got last year, there were no hens to be seen during those mornings.Probly why it was so easy to get them to come in.

I know were suppose to be north,but we are pretty much centrally located now.LOL

Both jakes I got last year, there were no hens to be seen during those mornings.Probly why it was so easy to get them to come in.

its nice when there not henned up they come running just like on tv! my first 5 my dad was with me and called them in for me, but the 6th one i was all alone and watched them roost the night before. easy right? set up and call them in. not the case hahah the park brake on my dads truck wouldnt release so i dropped off dad and off to my spot. i could smell it burning ( almost like the smell of welding) knew right away couldnt get it to break free so i parked and walked a mile down the road and got to my spot late so i had to set up 400 yards across the field i saw them in, wasnt gettin any closer the sun was coming up too quick. but to my luck not a hen in the country 3 jakes ran like the road runner to my mouth calls and i dropped the fisrt one to slow down from the pack otherwise it was a 3 in 1 shot kinda deal. next day the same two birds remaining wouldnt come close to my calls snuck up to 100 yards and turned out they had a hen with them. just the way it goes sometimes i guess.

the plan this year is to return the favour for pops! his 50th is in the 29th so i'm planning on sittin back 20 feet and calling for him and video taping the whole ordeal if i can!

as for the original Q i have no idea where the birds are just north of 89 hahhah

Matt!