motor speeds for trollin

white007

Hey guys and gals i was wondering if anyone knows the maximum horsepower on a motor i can use without losing trolling abilitys. I am buying a used boat this year and i dont want to have to buy a kicker 9.9 just to troll with. If anyone can help i thank u very much in advance

shaun

I have an aluminum Starcraft 17' side console with a Yamaha 115 4 stroke- no problem trolling for Walleye and Musky. Haven't had to but I could throw out a bucket or sock for a slower troll for 'eyes. I generally kick it up to about 900 rpm for 'Ski, and it runs at 700 rpm or so dead slow.

I have an 18 foot side console with Merc 90 horse 2 stroke and trolled Lake Ontario & Lake Huron for trout and salmon, Lake Erie for Walleyes, Pigeon for muskies. Well you get the idea. It does depend alot on boat size and weight as well as hull design.

What you want to troll for and with what boat/motor setup?

THX kerry never thought about tieing them off the front lol. I've got a trolling plate works good in the lakes but I fish the river alot and if there's any current at all you really have to rev the engine up to move.