Float Fisherman... I NEED HELP & TIPS!!!

rbaquial

Hey OFC'ers,

So, today I headed out with a couple guys from the board. Tested out my new toys :D Here's the post, incase you missed it.

Anyway, As I was playing with my new toy... I found on occasion it would get frustrating! Are there any tips anyone can provide? L2P already pointed a few out to me (ie: Hold the float reel sideways when tossing it out)... But, I'm wondering if there are anymore tips?

Also, I've tried looking online on "How to use a Float Reel" as I did when I 1st tried using Baitcasters (Love using them!)... but no luck... Anyone have any LINKS of some sort to help a fellow fisherman out?

Thanks folks!

I'm crazy excited to head out again!!

RoB

MatrixbyRavenReelShimanoConvergence.jpg

When I learned long ago there were very few float fishermen around to get help from.....so the best way is time on the water. Amazing how fast you will learn out there. I hit my first fish while getting a line twist out. I looked up and my float was gone so as I reeled in and tighten up the fish took off and my knuckels with it. Best way to learn!

As the replies have indicated so far, other than the instructional sites and videos, the best way is to get out there, and to use a well worn phrase, "just do it"! You will make lots of mistakes but it is the fastest way to get there. Once you have seen the basics on the screen and understand the principals practice, practice, practice.

I learned 45 years ago when centerpins were not that cool and fixed spool reels (spinning reels) were taking over, even for float fishing. It's really not that much of a black art as some would like you to believe.

Best way to side-cast:

1) don't hold your centrepin sideways (spool facing up or down). The spool should always be perpendicular to your free hand.

2) Thumb out. The line should run between your index finger and your thumb. Don't make a circle or loop with your digits, but rather point your thumb out, a little bit away and down from your reel spool after you cast. This prevents your fingers from accidentally getting in the way of your line as it runs over your hand. If you picture your line, from the spool of your reel to the first guide, as one giant loop, you basically want to poke your thumb through this loop and pinch your line. When you cast, you let go of the line and keep your thumb straight, pointed out, hand open, palm outward.

3) balanced rig. If your rig is unbalanced, it will be much harder to cast. At first, you want a balanced rig and as HEAVY as the conditions you are fishing will permit. Weight is a huge factor in castability, especially when you're first learning.

good luck!

p.-

What are you exactly having problems with?

Well, its not so much tossing out the line sideways... I see guys that can overhand cast... yet they do it so smoothly... without 'tangling'.... argh!

I know experience is the best way to learn, but If I can get "tips" along the way... it'll greatly speed up the "learning curve"...

Thanks guys!! I'm lookin' forward to the next outing! :D

You'll figure all the little things out soon enough. I don't use any specific fingers to hold the line while it leaves my reel. I usually just turn my left palm outwards and hold the line that way. Also don't worry about the overhead casts, stick to the sidecasts until you don't have to think about casting anymore. Then try the overhead, it's not much of a difference.

That being said, it's alot easier to cast with a bigger float and more shot. If the day is slow and you haven't caught many fish, put on a giant float and some shot and practice your casting, once you get the hang of it you'll be able to bomb those floats out further then you think... I still fumble casts and get the line wrapped around the reel, everyone does.

Like others have said, just keep at it..