Honda Canada MFG

I work at Honda. All rumors. We are working full shifts right now, we had non poduction Fridays from the new year to March. There is no more non productions schedualed for now but there is a plant wide meeting next week. We are hearing maybe and extra week for shut down but that's it. We are still pumping out the civic's. There's lot of rumor's going around but most of them are false. All contract workers were let go and plant 2 is down to one shift, no layoff's for permanent asscociates.

Scooter

I work at Honda. All rumors. We are working full shifts right now, we had non poduction Fridays from the new year to March. There is no more non productions schedualed for now but there is a plant wide meeting next week. We are hearing maybe and extra week for shut down but that's it. We are still pumping out the civic's. There's lot of rumor's going around but most of them are false. All contract workers were let go and plant 2 is down to one shift, no layoff's for permanent asscociates.

Scooter

I know somebody who works on ACM's contract for Honda's brake rotors and drums. They were told maybe 1-2 months ago car production would be cut in 1/2 and that meant the same or more of a reduction for their incoming ACM parts. And they're seeing an actual slowdown in a big way and it was still slow as of yesterday. Why doesn't that jive with your plant's steady production? just wondering.

Why doesn't that jive with your plant's steady production? just wondering.

Funny you mention that J.

All of a sudden, at our plant(which is a feeder plant) production has picked up.Mostley due to the new upcoming line of veichles for Honda.

It,s us that work in the industry,know whats going on.Dont let the media mess with yer minds.Yes it,s slower then norm,but it is getting back.SLOWLY.

Exactly Brian.. and there's always more than one source for common drive train parts. Luckily, for us and you'z stampers as well, injection moulded stuff is usually limited to one source thanks to the mould costs for each part. That said.. the entire market is on it's back..

Edited by irishfield

My sister-in-law and her husband both work for suppliers of Honda in Marysville Ohio, both had all overtime cut a few months back, sister-in- law is now on reduced regular hours 3-4 days a week. They are expecting some increase with parts for the new model year but unless car sales increase it won`t hold up.

Look at dealers lots in my area and they are all full, with cars to be sold and hardly anyone walking the lots.

Marysville makes the Accord.CRV mostly which sales haven't been as good as the civic. Alliston makes mostly civics which have been are bread and butter! Now that spring is here car sales usually start picking up. Talked to the dealer in Barrie and he told me that sales were slow in February but March has been quite busy. Let's hope were on the upswing with the econmy and get back to normal conditions and we can all start enjoying life again without having to worry if our jobs are going to be around. :thumbsup_anim:

Wonder what the news will say tonight about things?

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ArticleDi....aspx?e=1502430

Honda, workers to meet

Posted By RAYMOND BOWE

Posted 10 hours ago

Meetings are scheduled today with all employees at the Honda plant in Alliston, but what will be discussed is anyone's guess.

"We do have regularly scheduled meetings with all associates," plant spokesman Colin Fisher said yesterday. "Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to talk about what will be discussed in those meetings."

More details are expected this afternoon.

Honda Canada reduced production last month at the local factory until sales rebound. Plant No. 2 was cut back from 800 units daily to 400, because plant officials said they didn't want inventory to back up.

The move has been called temporary, and no timeline was announced for how long the reductions would stay in place.

The Honda plant in Alliston opened in 1986, with Honda becoming the first Japanese automaker to set up shop in Canada. A second plant opened in Alliston in 1998.

Some of Honda's competitors have also fallen on tough times during this recession.

The federal and Ontario governments agreed yesterday to extend $4 billion in funding for Chrysler Canada and General Motors Canada, while also warning the companies and their union that time and patience is running out.

The emergency loans include $3 billion to GM Canada and $1 billion to Chrysler Canada.

Not sure whats going to happen there,but I can tell you this.We recieved 9 brand new dies(hand transfer :wallbash: )Shouldnt complain,it,s work,for new parts for Honda.When all is said and done and all deals are made,in no time, it will be all systems go again.

My company had the big meeting yesturday and Honda has announced that all fridays in May are non production days aswell as the second week in July which equals 14 non production days, my company is able to restructure its output so I believe we will work those fridays in May but I'll take that second week in july..

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ArticleDi....aspx?e=1504281

Honda further reduces production

AUTOMOTIVE

Posted By RAYMOND BOWE

Posted 8:oo am

Production was throttled back again yesterday for workers at the Honda plant in Alliston, following reductions already implemented in February.

The Japanese automaker has announced 13 non-production days between May and July at its North American factories, reducing the number of vehicles manufactured this summer by about 62,000 units.

"With Honda being one of the largest employers in the region ... it does have a ripple effect on the community and the general climate itself," New Tecumseth Mayor Mike MacEachern said last night.

There was a sense of "unease" when the first rounds of cuts were announced in January, MacEachern said, "but you also have to recognize that this is not just our community. This is not localized to Alliston or New Tecumseth. This is a larger issue, and much broader than that. It's global."

Honda Canada reduced production in February at the local factories as a temporary measure until sales rebound. Plant No. 2 was cut back from 800 units daily to 400, because plant officials said they didn't want inventory to back up.

"In the current market, we had no choice but to take additional actions," plant spokesman Colin Fisher said, adding regardless of a person's title or job description, everyone from the top on down will be affected.

Bonuses have been reduced or eliminated at all North American plants, Fisher said, and there will be no wage increases "in the foreseeable future."

Pre-retirement buyout packages will also be offered to some employees.

"Our approach to these reductions is to balance our business necessities without having negative impacts to our associates," Fisher said.

The mayor said he was pleased that Honda is taking "a measured approach" in these difficult economic times, "but they are facing some real challenges.

"We're optimistic we'll get through this and be that much stronger for it," he added.

Continued After Advertisement Below

Advertisement

Several meetings were held throughout the day, yesterday, with about 4,600 local workers to announce the moves made to address the recession.

The news includes six nonproduction days in May (including every Friday plus one Monday), two Fridays in June and an additional non-production week in July.

"We do have a typical shutdown beginning in July," Fisher said, adding five of the 13 nonproduction days are included in that July week.

Similar actions are also being undertaken at Honda's North American factories in Alabama and Ohio.

"All of the Honda North American operations continually keep a close eye on the market. It's very volatile and quick to change," Fisher said, adding company officials remain confident about long-term prospects.

The Japanese automaker employs more than 35,000 people at its factories in Canada, Mexico and the United States.

The Honda plant in Alliston opened in 1986, with Honda becoming the first Japanese automaker to set up shop in Canada. A second plant opened in Alliston in 1998.

MacEachern said the local government has also provided the company with water and user rate reductions in an effort to help the bottom line.

"We try to assist them as much as we can, but we're a small form of government," he said.