Which spawns first....

trapshooter

Spawning order  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which spawns first?

• walleye
    • pike

I have always thought that pike spawned before walleye, however, I got into a discussion today with a credible guy who insisted that walleye spawn first.

So I'll put it to the people. What are you thoughts on this topic?

Edited by BenBeattie

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

pike spawn immediately at ice out and begin such at a lower temperature...approximately 40 F.

walleye may spawn at as low as about 42 F, but the bulk of the spawning will occur between 44 and 48 F.

this is from a credible source.

pike are random spawners from 39 to 50 deg f some under the ice in shallow bays others in grassy creeks

walleye spawn in groups at about 42 degrees to 54 degrees F. mostly fast flowing rocky rivers but also spawn in shallow lakes like the kawarthas

so my guess would be most years in most water systems, pike would spawn first

Pike will start to spawn while there is still ice on the lake. Walleye usually spawn about 4 to 6 weeks after the pike have done their thing.

Pike spawn when the water temps are between 34-40 degrees with 36-37 being preferred. Walleye spawn happens when the water temps are between 42-50 degrees with 44-46 being preferred.

Which Pickerel was he talking about Ben. The fish that enter river systems to spawn or the ones that spawn in the lake?....... :D

Either way... pike and walleye in a river or pike and walleye in a lake. Which spawn first.

Also, from the research I did I found that there's greatly differing numbers published for spawning temperatures for both species. Just look at the numbers thrown out on this thread alone.

Guest steel'n'esox
Pike will start to spawn while there is still ice on the lake. Walleye usually spawn about 4 to 6 weeks after the pike have done their thing.

Pike spawn when the water temps are between 34-40 degrees with 36-37 being preferred. Walleye spawn happens when the water temps are between 42-50 degrees with 44-46 being preferred.

Drifter nailed it right on the noggan, as for the spawning temps of both species

i took my from scott/crossman's "freshwater fishes of canada". this is my bible.

Seems like most of the numbers do suggest that pike spawn in cooler water, therefore first, like I thought. However it does seem that some overlap happens.

Thanks for the info everyone.