Best Reel for the Job

tknohpy

Hey Guys

Looking to buy a couple of baitcasting reels.

The first one will be for pike fishing/bottom bouncing. This reel will go on a St Croix Premier 6'10", heavy power, mod-fast action rod.

The other will be used for bass fishing on a St Croix Big Jig Bass Series rod, 7'3", extra heavy power, fast action.

I have never bought baitcasting reels before so any advice would be appreciated.

There are a lot of good reels out there now and it is just a question of how much money you want to spend. Left or right hand retrieve might narrow your choices a little but not a lot anymore.

For either purpose the same reel will do something like a Shimano Citica or if you don`t mind spending a bit more a Shimano Curado, Abu Revo. and others. More of a comfort thing some feel better in your hand and most of the brands in that price range will probably be a quality product.

6.0 - 6.5 to 1 gear ratio is all you need unless you really got it in your head you need a 7 to 1 retrieve reel, I don`t thing so, unless you plan on tossing buzzbaits all day and even then the slightly slower retrieve reels are not really a problem.

Just me but my reels generally serve more than one purpose, except when I am fishing for truly outsized fish 200 series Shimano would be fine for either unless you are catching 40+ inch pike all day, or Muskie fishing on a regular basis.

I have reels in a variety of retrieve ratios mainly because of the reels age and what was available at the time.

I find for bottom bouncing it is handy to have a reel with a flipping switch, you just press the thumb bar when the depth increases, I use a Quantum Accurist PT (discontinued but you can still find old stock at a great price) Quantum now makes the new "Code Red" and "Walleye Grade", both with flipping switch (but they don't have PT gears and bearings).

as for bass fishing in heavy cover, I like my Daiwa Zillion and Daiwa Luna(round), they both work well for pike too and the Luna for Musky as well, Shimano Curado is also a good choice.

If you haven't used a baitcaster before, it takes a bit to get used to, my advice is to get the best you can afford, a higher end reel will be generally smoother, have a better cast control and that means less birdsnests, :rolleyes:

once you get the hang of it, you'll love it!

I'd suggest buying a used quality reel. I'm starting to think it really does not matter who makes it. If you can find a 2 or 300 hundred dollar reel retail price and pay half for it used you are probably going to be pretty happy. Providing you find an honest seller.

SHIMANO.

I have a collection of bait casters, and I never touch anything but my shimanos.

I had two okumas and they both blew up in the first week, I had a diawa (albeit a cheaper one) and it blew up, I had a quantum and it also blew up.

Shimanos keep on tickin though

I just got back from my local tackle shop to do some hands on research with both the Curado and the Revo. Both are the same price range and I tended to favour the Revo over the Curado. The Curado's retrieve was no where near as smooth as the Revo. I also found the Revo to be much more comfortable in hand with a flatter top to rest your thumb. I am also new to these units so I want to make sure I am getting the most comfortable reel the first time. Go see Dave at Hirk's Tackle in Courtice. He will let you try out both models on a rod, or better yet bring the rod you wish to pair with it and try it on the rod.