More Brownies

fishinfool

It's all in the shape bud.. Forget the spots..

Id say the first fish is brown... The second, judging by the shape of it's head, looks to be a salar.

The third one is a brown. Again, the shape is a give-away.

Tony, I've just spoken to a pretty reliable source.. That fish you're holding, it's an atlantic. I owe you an apology. I'm the rube.

It's all in the shape bud.. Forget the spots..

Id say the first fish is brown... The second, judging by the shape of it's head, looks to be a salar.

The third one is a brown. Again, the shape is a give-away.

Tony, I've just spoken to a pretty reliable source.. That fish you're holding, it's an atlantic. I owe you an apology. I'm the rube.

Two outta three ain't bad!!

Sinker

http://www.lssu.edu/arl/salmonresearch.php

Lake State University on the atlantic salmon program they operate which includes the difference in tics/browns....

To the guys that dont want the atlantics......you dont know what you are missing especially if your a steelhead guy......

everyone has their own opinion on it I guess...

All the fish posted are awesome catches.....

TDunn

http://www.lssu.edu/arl/salmonresearch.php

To the guys that dont want the atlantics......you dont know what you are missing especially if your a steelhead guy......

I shouldn't take the bait, but as one of those steelhead guys who isn't terribly impressed with the Atlantic salmon program, I'm compelled to respond to this.

First up, I've caught Atlantic salmon. In fact, I've been lucky enough to catch Atlantic salmon in Ontario, Michigan, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Quebec. I've caught Great Lakes fish, sea-run fish, and even ouananiche. See, that's the thing. I do know what I'm missing.

I don't have any beef with the fighting qualities of Atlantic salmon. They're fun. They pull drag. They jump all over the place. Just like steelhead do.

The problem I have with Atlantic salmon comes down to what marketing types call 'return on investment.' We stock one million Atlantics, yet see only a handful of fish return. Last fall the CRAA fished in the Credit River sanctuaries for three months (via special permit) and manned their fish ladder continuously, but didn't even see 50 fish in total. Less than 50 fish, from a stocking of over one million. That's pathetic.

Truth is, the Ontario government has been stocking Atlantic salmon in Lake Ontario tributaries continuously since the 1980s, with basically zero results. Even the MNR's own research concludes that this ecosystem is no longer suitable for Atlantic salmon. So why do we continue to beat a dead horse?

Imagine what would happen if we refocused our resources and stocked one million steelhead instead? History says we would see enormous results overnight. Those huge runs of steelhead into the Ganaraska River back in the early 80s, when they passed 15,000 to 18,000 fish through the Corbett Dam fish ladder each spring, resulted from stocking 100,000 steelhead every year. Fishing was pretty good back in those days. I wonder why?

Back in the heyday of the coho program, Ontario never stocked more than 400,000 fish in a given year. Most years, they stocked approximately 200,000 coho in total. Yet those 200,000 fish spawned an enormous sport fishery that created derbies, sold thousands of boats, and who knows how many millions of dollars worth of downriggers, fish finders, rods, reels, and lures. Most of the time you could go out and catch coho, even if you didn't really know what you were doing.

Now, we stock five times as many Atlantics - one million fish, each and every year. And where's the impact?

I go fishing for a lot of reasons, but at the end of the day, I want to catch fish. It's very tough to catch a fish that simply isn't there.

So that's my beef with the Atlantic salmon program. Rather than continue to pour money, resources, and hatchery space into an Atlantic salmon program that produces zero results, I would be much happier if our government devoted even half of that effort into managing steelhead. If they did, we would once again have a fishery that would be second to none.

Mr. Ritchie :clapping:

You did forget two things.

1) Raising one atlantic costs 3x more than one steelhead, because the only success has come from releasing yearlings, opposed to the fingerlings of all other species stocked. So the question isn't do you want steelhead, chinook or atlantics, it's do you want 2000 chinook, 1000 rainbows, or 1 atlantic. And that one atlantic will cost more than 3000 returning rainbows to raise in hatcheries.

2) There never were any atlantics outside of Lake Ontario. So the only place where they are even moderately successful they are an invasive species!

I shouldn't take the bait, but as one of those steelhead guys who isn't terribly impressed with the Atlantic salmon program, I'm compelled to respond to this.

First up, I've caught Atlantic salmon. In fact, I've been lucky enough to catch Atlantic salmon in Ontario, Michigan, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Quebec. I've caught Great Lakes fish, sea-run fish, and even ouananiche. See, that's the thing. I do know what I'm missing.

I don't have any beef with the fighting qualities of Atlantic salmon. They're fun. They pull drag. They jump all over the place. Just like steelhead do.

The problem I have with Atlantic salmon comes down to what marketing types call 'return on investment.' We stock one million Atlantics, yet see only a handful of fish return. Last fall the CRAA fished in the Credit River sanctuaries for three months (via special permit) and manned their fish ladder continuously, but didn't even see 50 fish in total. Less than 50 fish, from a stocking of over one million. That's pathetic.

Truth is, the Ontario government has been stocking Atlantic salmon in Lake Ontario tributaries continuously since the 1980s, with basically zero results. Even the MNR's own research concludes that this ecosystem is no longer suitable for Atlantic salmon. So why do we continue to beat a dead horse?

Imagine what would happen if we refocused our resources and stocked one million steelhead instead? History says we would see enormous results overnight. Those huge runs of steelhead into the Ganaraska River back in the early 80s, when they passed 15,000 to 18,000 fish through the Corbett Dam fish ladder each spring, resulted from stocking 100,000 steelhead every year. Fishing was pretty good back in those days. I wonder why?

Back in the heyday of the coho program, Ontario never stocked more than 400,000 fish in a given year. Most years, they stocked approximately 200,000 coho in total. Yet those 200,000 fish spawned an enormous sport fishery that created derbies, sold thousands of boats, and who knows how many millions of dollars worth of downriggers, fish finders, rods, reels, and lures. Most of the time you could go out and catch coho, even if you didn't really know what you were doing.

Now, we stock five times as many Atlantics - one million fish, each and every year. And where's the impact?

I go fishing for a lot of reasons, but at the end of the day, I want to catch fish. It's very tough to catch a fish that simply isn't there.

So that's my beef with the Atlantic salmon program. Rather than continue to pour money, resources, and hatchery space into an Atlantic salmon program that produces zero results, I would be much happier if our government devoted even half of that effort into managing steelhead. If they did, we would once again have a fishery that would be second to none.

Post of the year!

Stock me some steelies

Im not saying I agree with the stocking program that is in effect for Lake O with atlantics...Honeslty I dont know much about it and never said i did. Im not a biologist nor do i work for the mnr...I just know in my home waters we have a spring run of steelhead, summer run of atlantics and fall run of pinks, chinooks cohos and steelhead again...It is quiet the diverse fishery and i do enjoy it.

|didnt mean to piss anyway off by making them think atlantics are the way to go.....

I just posted the url to lake state to give you guys a little reading info on a program that has become very successful and it states the difference in browns/alantics...

Sorry Craig didnt mean to hit a nerve with you......

TDunn

steelhead and pacific salmon are native to lake O?

Oh heck no. That's a whole other matter. Our native salmonids include atlantic salmon and lake trout..

And that opens up a new topic all together.. Fisherman and conservationist like to use the term wild, because some of the salmonids that were introduced reproduce naturaly. To me, that doesn't mean wild.. The fish maybe a wild animal per say, but if they're a genetic strain that hasn't evolved in the lake through millenia, they're not wild!!

Edited by Highdrifter

Oh heck no. That's a whole other matter. Our native salmonids include atlantic salmon and lake trout..

And that opens up a new topic all together.. Fisherman and conservationist like to use the term wild, because some of the salmonids that were introduced reproduce naturaly. To me, that doesn't mean wild.. The fish maybe a wild animal per say, but if they're a genetic strain that hasn't evolved in the lake through millenia, they're not wild!!

my point exactly....on the invasive part

TDunn

Hiya TDunn

No worries about stomping on any nerves .... just wish we could have something to show for all the time and money that has went into trying to introduce Atlantic salmon to Lake Ontario. It would be interesting to see what would happen if the MNR put that kind of effort into your area, where the habitat allows greater rates of survival.

In Lake Ontario, it just makes sense to go with what works. We wouldn't have to strip too many wild steelhead to come up with 400,000 or 500,000 stockers, and it would make all the difference in the world.

Hiya TDunn

No worries about stomping on any nerves .... just wish we could have something to show for all the time and money that has went into trying to introduce Atlantic salmon to Lake Ontario. It would be interesting to see what would happen if the MNR put that kind of effort into your area, where the habitat allows greater rates of survival.

In Lake Ontario, it just makes sense to go with what works. We wouldn't have to strip too many wild steelhead to come up with 400,000 or 500,000 stockers, and it would make all the difference in the world.

Your right... I cant even imagine how good it would be if the mnr helped!!!!!It is all the americans spending money on the atlantic stocking program.......I would imagine its actually the university and not even the dnr? I some of the canadian fisherman help the university out with scale samples, time and dates of catches all that stuff but definitly not in the cash department...

How long have they been stocking Lake Ontario??Do they stock lakers too???

TDunn