Anyone own a Dodge Ram 1500? or have owned one?

Mattones

Just remember it's not as much the engine size as the gear ratio of the drivetrain that determines MPG. I drive a Ram 2500 and get around 18 city and 26 on the hwy. B)

??? Maybe with a worked in Cummins Diesel. Those are pretty optimistic numbers.

I have a friend with an 06 Ram 5.7 with the MDS and he can only 19 mpg and that is driving 100 km/h on a very flat section.

Edited by Cudz

I have a friend with an 06 Ram 5.7 with the MDS and he can only 19 mpg and that is driving 100 km/h on a very flat section.

Yes I have the Cummins and running the heavy duty tow package as well, but my point was that the mileage is still decided by the gearing was all. Just didn't want people comparing strictly engine size and getting the wrong info was all. :)

the price per barrel would need to be much higher than $90 to bring on $2/liter prices at the pumps. last time we were over $90/barrel gas was only $1.40.

ive been thinking about getting a truck for the last couple years but i think ill get a new dodge with the mds next spring once the house is paid off....unless toyota comes out with something like the mds :D

Toyota is said to now be working on a 8 speed tranny to improve gas mileage. The current 5.7 L engine with it's 6 speed tranny (2 overdrives) still gets 19 mpg on the HIGHWAY. I went round trip from Lancaster, NY to Chapleau, Ontario and got 19.38 miles per gallon. But this was NOT towing anything, however I did get stuck in traffic on the way home near Toronto and had a 35 minute wait getting across the Rainbow bridge on the way home. On the way there we left early and NO slow ups at all. But without the two slow ups on the way home I am thinking I could of cracked 20 mpg. Of course this is driving with a easy foot and keeping the speed down to 62 miles per hour. This is with a DOUBLE CAB 4X4 SR5 Model, not just a regular cab 2 wheel drive.

The one thing to remember with the Tundra is it has TONS of towing power. With it's 5.7L engine it produces 381 hp with 401 # of torque and is match with 4:30 rear end gear ratio that can tow 10,800 lbs all day every day. It was designed for towing and hauling. IF Toyota put in higher gears like GM, let say 3:5O or 3:73 rear end gears it would EASILY break the 20 mpg with it's 6 speed tranny. With gas prices going to rise in the next year or two watch Toyota to make changes to drastically increase mileage. The new '07 Tundra was built when our gas prices were stable. Of course you can also look for the Small Three to also increase gas mileage in all there trucks.

Good Luck Truck Hunting and have fun with your new sweet ride.

Bob

I have an o6 sport 4x4 with the hemi and I am lucky if I get 15mpg ,The motor has an annoying tick already its failed to start 3 times this winter (dealer cant figure out why) the tranny shifts hard ,the front end has been replaced twice and is loose again it just doesnt seem to have the same punch any more and it only has 42k on it.When I first picked it out it was all about the styling and the hemi ,but I find the ford and chev are way more comfortable,It does pull the boat like its not even there but so did my super crew Larriot that was way better on fuel and more comfortable.I have to admit that the new 09 are looking sweet but so do the new fords and chevs ,If you are concerned with fuel mileage than you shouldt even be looking at trucks ,It comes down to personnel choice they all have there pros and cons.My dodge goes back to the dealer in 2 weeks I am not saying I wouldnt buy another dodge just not the one I have right now .By the way the truck was in every 5000k for oil change all the regular service was done to it ,Its never plowed snow or been off road or abused so there is no reason for the problems I have had

Here’s my penny’s worth. Owing a truck is like everything else in life, its about compromises.

The new Dodge is a very nice looking truck and I looked into getting one last fall. I really like some of the new features like the dual tips and storage lockers in the box. But, that’s where it ended for me. The new coil spring system is one design feature that I am really suspect about. Yeah, they say that rail cars have coils and so do all of the racing cars, i.e. Nascar. Well, a truck isn’t a rail car and I’m not at Daytona every day. There’s a very good reason why trucks have leaf springs, and that’s to reduce sway. And sway is very important when towing something heavy.

I own a 2006 Ford F150, FX4, 5.4L. I bought it new and have about 75K kms. I’ve had no issues with it so far, and I tow the beast that you see in my sig. I do expect to run into some repairs as I get near or over the 100K mark, but based on many reliable sources, these should not be major ones.. The 5.4L isn’t as strong as the Hemi, but it’s easier on fuel. This is the compromise that I mentioned., smaller engine = less power and less fuel, bigger engine = more power and more fuel. The other issue is reliability....I believe Ford is more reliable than Dodge. Some posters have said that they have had good luck with their Dodges. My brother-in-law owns a 2003 Ram 1500 with the Hemi and he has had some major issues. Steering box early (40K), tranny, and finally the engine let go at about 140K kms among many other issues. I’ve also heard of many others complain about reliability with their Rams. If you’re the kind of guy who likes to grunt like Tim the Toolman Taylor, then by all means get the Hemi. Do expect however, that this will come at a price. There is only one situation that I wish I had more power and that is climbing the hill after getting on the 401 at Trenton. That 3 km hill while towing my heavy boat keeps my engine RPMs in the 4K range until I reach the top. Nowhere else do I need more power. So, do I accept the price on having to buy more fuel all of the time just to be able to have more power at my disposal for that 5 minute run? I think not.

But I really like the looks of the new Dodge.....life’s full of compromises. ;)

I buy a truck for one reason.

to pound the living hell out of them.

At work we have use every truck out there.

From 1500 to 650's we also have a couple of the internationals.

My boss will only buy 2 brands now. Ford and GMC.

I am a PROUD owner of a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 @ Peel Chrysler in Port Credit Sadly it didnt have the Side cubbies:(

Price was marked $28,995 -Regular $39.995. And i walked out with free mud flaps and a bed liner which was the dealers cost of $230+tax. I got a 7 year warrenty and over all walked out of there with a total price of $32,000.

only gave me a couple hundred for my Mazda. but hey thats alright saves me from trying to sell it.

Congratulations and enjoy the new sweet ride :thumbsup_anim:

i had my father pull the rigg out as it was a tight squeeze and he just wanted to. he said he hardly hit the gas and it spun the tires he loves it. Man i am so pumped.

only problem is...

I am picking it up Tuesday evening and i have a leaf game at 7pm:P

i had my father pull the rigg out as it was a tight squeeze and he just wanted to. he said he hardly hit the gas and it spun the tires he loves it. Man i am so pumped.

only problem is...

I am picking it up Tuesday evening and i have a leaf game at 7pm:P

The he|| with the Leafs, they are only going to lose unless they are playing the Sabres..... :D

Take that bad boy for a ride and break it in nice............

The he|| with the Leafs, they are only going to lose unless they are playing the Sabres..... :D

Take that bad boy for a ride and break it in nice............

Playing the caps. Always a great game. make sure i see then once a year play the leafs, B) if parking wasent 20 bucks i would drive down.

I am a PROUD owner of a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 @ Peel Chrysler in Port Credit Sadly it didnt have the Side cubbies:(

Price was marked $28,995 -Regular $39.995. And i walked out with free mud flaps and a bed liner which was the dealers cost of $230+tax. I got a 7 year warrenty and over all walked out of there with a total price of $32,000.

only gave me a couple hundred for my Mazda. but hey thats alright saves me from trying to sell it.

You done good Matt! What size engine and what ratio rear end did you get?... got any pics of her???

Going to to a new car/truck dealership to buy, is kinda like going into a room full of beautiful women... picking out the one you like and saying "You're coming home with me!" :w00t:

You done good Matt! What size engine and what ratio rear end did you get?... got any pics of her???

Going to to a new car/truck dealership to buy, is kinda like going into a room full of beautiful women... picking out the one you like and saying "You're coming home with me!" :w00t:

Sadly this was the only one left so i had to get silver. I'll post pics on Weds.

5.7-litre HEMI® V8 with MDS and VVT (390 hp and 407 lb-ft of torque) and 5-speed automatic transmission

3.21, 3.55 and 3.92 axle ratios

Class IV hitch receiver

121-litre (27 imp. gal.) fuel tank (Quad Cab® and Crew 1500)

Dual rear exhaust

With the class IV hitch and towing package I would be guessing 3:92

Edited to add:

Silver is a GREAT color. It always looks clean. This was my #1 option that my truck had to have when I purchased TUNDRA.

Edited by Billy Bob

I just checked by trying to build one on the Dodge site and it could be either 3:55 or 3:92 with the 5.7 L Hemi engine.

He didn't mention what model (Crew Cab or Regular Cab or whatever) so I used Quad Cab in the building. Don't know if that makes any difference with Dodge.

If it's the 3:92 it will cost in some mileage but there isn't a tow able boat out there he can't tow even through the mountains........ :)

Edited to add:

After taking another look on the Dodge site the 3:92 gears are a $375 OPTION so it would be listed on the window sticker I would think. So if not listed that beast has 3:55 gears.

Bob

Edited by Billy Bob

Its a Quad Cab with a tow package. I will find out everything when i get it on Tuesday. If its the 3:92 Bob then I guess I'll have to make some extra money by towing boats around for you guys. But knowing myself I will turn down the money just for a day of fishing. hahaha

Jepers! I am hiding this truck from my girlfriend until mid next week to make it surpirse when i pick her from the Go Station. But i keeping screwing up and talking about it. So hard to keep it to myself with being so thrilled.

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.asp...mp;adid=7506445

Thats the tuck. Doesnt show much

Edited by Mattones

i had my father pull the rigg out as it was a tight squeeze and he just wanted to. he said he hardly hit the gas and it spun the tires he loves it.

Low end tire hop is not a good trait of a pick up truck.

This mean the tranny is not dispensing the toque properly and the frame is to rigged.

It sounds like you bought the sports model.Great light to light,poor on highway and work.

What is known as a Yuppy truck.

It's not a bad thing. Only if you are towing or hauling close to the max weights.

I have this problem with my truck,but too different reasons.teehee,

Its a Quad Cab with a tow package. I will find out everything when i get it on Tuesday. If its the 3:92 Bob then I guess I'll have to make some extra money by towing boats around for you guys. But knowing myself I will turn down the money just for a day of fishing. hahaha

Jepers! I am hiding this truck from my girlfriend until mid next week to make it surpirse when i pick her from the Go Station. But i keeping screwing up and talking about it. So hard to keep it to myself with being so thrilled.

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.asp...mp;adid=7506445

Thats the tuck. Doesnt show much

I believe if it has the 20" wheels the 3.92 will be standard because of their larger diameter.