Vexilar Tips

troutologist

Hey folks just in time for the end of ice season I found a deal I couldnt pass up on an Fl20.

I have little experience with these units but have witnessed those with them outfish me on a number of occasions...

Any tips on settings, transporting and reading the display?

I'd like to accelerate the learning curve on this.

Thanks in advance

There are videos on Vexilar.com that explain pretty everything pretty good. They are pretty tough machines but I would take extra care of the transducer. Did you get the carrying bag with it??? I still don't know why they don't make that bag a standard accessory(like Marcuum) instead of having to fork out another 35-40 bucks for it.

You'll love it.

I guess you don't ice fish huh!

:stretcher:

FYI - a lot of people modify a graph from their boat for use during ice fishing. There are even graphs specifically made for ice fishing. ex lowrance X67 Ice Machine.

Flashers aren't for everyone and some people prefer the standard graph view. Personally I'm a flasher junkie through the ice. Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by BenBeattie

I used a graph at first then i went with a vex.... Its more personal preference but i would never go back to a graph over a flasher. As for advice..... make sure u set your gain so that u can just barely see your bait. If your gain is set to high all u will see is just a mass of red when fish come by..... if its set at bare minimum u have a better chance of marking 2-3 fish rather than just the school or totaly red! Hope this helps. I know the vex has helped me ice a lot more fish...... But the vex can only do so much the rest is upto u... Good luck you'll love it!

I used a graph at first then i went with a vex.... Its more personal preference but i would never go back to a graph over a flasher. As for advice..... make sure u set your gain so that u can just barely see your bait. If your gain is set to high all u will see is just a mass of red when fish come by..... if its set at bare minimum u have a better chance of marking 2-3 fish rather than just the school or totaly red! Hope this helps. I know the vex has helped me ice a lot more fish...... But the vex can only do so much the rest is upto u... Good luck you'll love it!

I think your flasher helped me more than it helped you last time we were out :P:lol: Imagine......icefishing with NO electronics, and putting on a show :PB)

Sinker

Thanks for the replies.

I have a portable graph and have had nothing but problems this winter with freezeup of the lcd display renedering it useless. I dont fish from a hut so Im looking to have some more reliability in cold weather.

Cant wait to see what the lakers are doing tomorrow under the ice. Im heading back to the spot where I got a big one and the girlfriend had a reel burnt out/rod snapped

Cheers