Toronto Pike Mission

diggyj

Since I took the day off from work, I decided to head out and try my luck at some PIKE fishing. Weather was great today and it was sunny so I was looking forward to a great day. The morning started out by seeing about 20 or so deer just behind our backyard fence.

31106214.jpg

By diggyj, shot with DSC-W5 at 2009-03-05

71584709.jpg

A nice site to start the day off. Drove into the city and tried my first spot but due to the cold sanp we had over the past couple of days, a thin sheet of ice has once again formed and made it difficult to cast. Had to be careful to find open spots. When I got out of the car, the temp gauge showed, 0.5 C

46539565.jpg

As the winds and currents picked up, larger sheets of ice drifted by. There was some guy there also and he was not having any luck either. He was joined by a buddy of his, and they still had no luck, just like me.

94523249.jpg

After spending a couple of hours at this particular spot, I decided to move to another spot. As you can see the AM temps, even though they were above freezing, still caused my line guide to ice up. When I left the car showed a temp of 5 C

83619732.jpg

Since nothing was doing, posed for a few pics. Weather was quite nice, actually peeled the jacket off.

85930618.jpg

Moved on to my second spot and this time there were no openings large enough to cast.

64554894.jpg

52396383.jpg

Time for another picture as my line didn't even hit the water at this location.

34632690.jpg

The ducks were seeing more action than I was.

28827109.jpg

Made my way to my final spot in the city and once again, shut out due to mother nature.

57450063.jpg

Headed back to the east end of the city and decided to try one more spot before calling it a day.

Finally this spot had enough open water to cast. There were a couple of guys at this spot and I asked if they caught anything and between them, they said they landed 5 all together.

96205066.jpg

A perfect spot with rocks(rip/rap).

Grab my rods and decided to wet a line for a bit. Started at this spot at around 2 pm and at 2:45 I caught my first and only pike of the day. It was about 20-22 inches in length. Wasn't even worth pulling the camera out as I wasn't prepared and didn't want to take the little critter out of the water for any prolonged period of time. Stayed until 3:30pm and decided to call it a day.

Enjoyed being outside and casting for PIKE even though I only managed to catch one small one. Nothing better than being in the great outdoors and breathing in the cool, crisp winter air.

Dirk....

Great report and pics Dirk :thumbsup_anim:

Loved the backyard shots of the deers :thumbsup_anim:

Do you have a feeder out for them?

Got to love seeing that many and so close B)

Too bad the other spots was covered in ice cause by those pics looked promissing :Gonefishing:

Good job and thanks for sharing

Leechman

That looks familiar, Snag and I got out today for some of the same action. Calm winds, warm temps, but we didn't find any pike. Plenty o' ice tho.

Still was great meeting Snag for the first time, lots more to come I'm sure.

Did some scouting today myself for some open water spots but still lots of ice in places. Should be looking alot better after this weekend. :Gonefishing:

Cool deer pics right out behind your place diggy, gotta be a sure sign of Spring. :thumbsup_anim: