Regarding the CBC getting more money.

BigGuy

The CBC receives ONE BILLION Dollars a year and has the nerve to ask for another sixty million. That's insanity! :wallbash:

The CBC is not the voice of the majority because few people watch it. With the exception of a few quality programs like "The Fifth Estate","The Passionate Eye","Marketplace",and "The Rick Mercer Report", the rest of the programs are very mediocre, such as Corner Gas, Little house on the Prairie, and oh! let's not forget that great classic "Anne of green gables". If this series was used to interrogate prisoners of war it would be considered cruel and unusual punishment.

How do you spell boring?........... CBC. :sleeping_02:

The so called executives that run the CBC wouldn't last 4 months in the real corporate world. They have no concept of what it means to run a business. They should be ashamed of collecting such high salaries for such incompetent work. It's the same old, same old. Every year the same crap. No imagination! No innovation! No life!

Oh! Let's not forget to mention that good Canadian actors get ahead on their own talent and hard work, and are well respected throughout the world. If your a half-assed actor :asshat: you don't have to worry, because the CBC will find a place for you in some cheesy program and make sure you too become a member of the dysfunctional CBC family. Wake up people! Enough is enough! Time to pull away the feed bag and let them earn their money like the rest of us.

Remember, your not supporting "the arts" when you support the CBC, your supporting incompetence in it's highest form.

Big Guy :Gonefishing:

Edited by BigGuy

The CBC receives ONE BILLION Dollars a year and has the nerve to ask for another sixty million. That's insanity! :wallbash:

The CBC is not the voice of the majority because few people watch it. With the exception of a few quality programs like "The Fifth Estate" and "The Passionate Eye" the rest of the programs are very mediocre, such as Corner Gas, Little house on the Prairie, and oh! let's not forget that great classic "Anne of green gables". If this series was used to interrogate prisoners of war it would be considered cruel and unusual punishment.

How do you spell boring?........... CBC. :sleeping_02:

The so called executives that run the CBC wouldn't last 4 months in the real corporate world. They have no concept of what it means to run a business. They should be ashamed of collecting such high salaries for such incompetent work. It's the same old, same old. Every year the same crap. No imagination! No innovation! No life!

Oh! Let's not forget to mention that good Canadian actors get ahead on their own talent and hard work, and are well respected throughout the world. If your a half-assed actor :asshat: you don't have to worry, because the CBC will find a place for you in some cheesy program and make sure you too become a member of the dysfunctional CBC family. Wake up people! Enough is enough! Time to pull away the feed bag and let them earn their money like the rest of us.

Remember, your not supporting "the arts" when you support the CBC, your supporting incompetence in it's highest form.

Big Guy :Gonefishing:

BTW Corner Bas is on CTV not CBC.

I believe keeping programs like The Border, Fifth Estate, Marketplace, Rick Mercer Report and HNIC are worthwhile programs. But I agree that I can live without Corner Gas.

BTW Corner Bas is on CTV not CBC.

I believe keeping programs like The Border, Fifth Estate, Marketplace, Rick Mercer Report and HNIC are worthwhile programs. But I agree that I can live without Corner Gas.

Still a waste of tax payer money, they should Privatize and instead of commercials about its own shows they should have commercials from the private sector in order to save us the Tax burden. Just check out who and what is running the department and guess where their from. Am I allowed to say the obvious.

Edited by holdfast

I like the CBC and if it's tax $$$ being wasted that really bothers you there's lots of targets out there.

When I was younger & dinosaurs roamed the earth (before satellite TV ) I lived in the far north and CBC was it.

It kept you going---but I will say that if it was not there I wonder how long it would be before our youth would believe they're American. Check the stats on our last election and see how many inject US policy into our own---ie believing you vote for Harper as PM and not the party.

Think about it---Canadian sports---Nature of Things---Rick Mercer---National News etc, etc...

The CBC is more than a typical dollar driven network but is a common voice for all of us from the smallest fishing village in NFLD to the most remote reserve in NWT.

Do not Americanize us ---I'm telling you that it would be a great loss to lose the CBC---and in no way am I affiliated with it.

Bushart

As Canadian as coloured money... Leave the CBC be. is nothing sacred¿ Rob... knowing how you are VERY Pro-Canadian and Anti-everything else.. I would have thought you would embrace a made in Canada station... I will bite my tongue for the rest of my reply as it will serve no good..

G

The cbc? you mean the conservative bashing corporation don't you? the cbc has lost all journalistic integrity and is nothing more than the official channel of the liberal party. If their reporting wasn't so biased and was actually fair reporting they wouldn't be in the mess they are in now. There was a time when there were only three channels and the cbc could be picked up anywhere but those days are long gone. It's a waste of a billion dollars in my opinion, if anything they produce is so great then why don't they sell it to other stations to air and make some money.

As Canadian as coloured money... Leave the CBC be. is nothing sacred¿ Rob... knowing how you are VERY Pro-Canadian and Anti-everything else.. I would have thought you would embrace a made in Canada station... I will bite my tongue for the rest of my reply as it will serve no good..

G

No, you would just have to sit West of Ontario to find out how Totally Biased they are to Central Canada. Where the Heck to you think the saying that Toronto is the centre of the Universe came from. Just watch the CBC. As being Canadian. Sorry they do not INSPIRE me to be Canadian. Example- Big news when 3 kids got killed in Afghanistan supposedly from Canadian Soldiers because of a Range. No news 2 days later when they found out it wasn't because of the Canadian Soldiers but from a Taliban UXO.

As far as Im concened all they do is beat up on our Canadian Culture for others to be lets see, Diverse maybe and Canadian, what ever that is NOW..

Edited by holdfast

With all due respect,

Some of you guys misunderstood my angry rant at the CBC. I'm not suggesting we get rid of the station, I'm suggesting we get rid of the current incompetent executives who are running the station to the ground. Replace them with talented professionals who know how to run a TV station.

The current powers at CBC "don't think" before they spend, because they feel they don't have to answer to anyone for their actions. They blow millions on stupid programing, then say OOPS and demand more money from the government. There is no reason whatsoever that the CBC should be asking for more money when it receives an annual subsidy from the government of 1.1 BILLION DOLLARS. If run properly the CBC's worst case scenario would be breaking even, not losing money consistently over the past twenty five years.

I was born and raised in this great country and love Canada. I'm as Canadian as anyone out there. The CBC has a responsibility to all Canadians to be the best it can be. I want it to work and the only way it will thrive, is if it doesn't take Canadians for granted and it functions as a creative and fiscally responsible organization.

That's all I have to say about this.

BigGuy

If the CBC went commercial like CTV etc. do you think they would broadcast into the non-profit markets like they do now ? Like the post office, you pay $0.55 for a stamp to mail a letter anywhere in Canada the CBC sends its signal everywhere...The people in Tuktoyaktuk (sp) deserve to see Hockey night in Canada as much as Toronto and Montreal...

Besides, I need the employees payinging into the CBC pension Plan so that I get my cheque every month... :whistling:

BTW...CBC sells lots of programs all over the world..."The Nature of Things" was and probably still is their number 1...Back in my days there it was "Street Legal"...and nobody did the Olympics better than CBC...

Edited by Beans

Beans, they have satellite t.v dishes now that can pick up a signal from everywhere. It isn't like the old days when cbc was the only station in remote areas, and pretty soon you won't be able to pick anything up on rabbit ears. The CBC is the most biased news source out there, if they were to clean it up and not just be free advertising for the liberal party and quit bashing Harper maybe there wouldn't be so many people unsatisfied with them. As far as Canadian culture all the cbc does is bash America, that's their contribution to culture, and now they don't know what to do now the big Owe is in power because they just loooove him but still hate America. I say scrap da cbc!

THE CLASSIC VERSION OF THIS FABLE - (THE ONE THAT MAKES SENSE TO US!)

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter. The grasshopper thinks he's a fool, and laughs and dances and plays the summer away. Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed. The shivering grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.

THE CANADIAN MODERN VERSION:

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter. The grasshopper thinks he's a fool, and laughs and dances and plays the summer away. Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed. The shivering grasshopper calls a press conference and demands to know why the ant should be allowed to be warm and well fed while others less fortunate like him are cold and starving. CBC shows up to provide live coverage of the shivering grasshopper, with cuts to a video of the ant in his comfortable warm home with a table filled with food. Canadians are stunned that in a country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer so while others have plenty. The New Democratic Party, the Canadian Auto Workers and the Coalition Against Poverty demonstrate in front of the ant's house. The CBC, interrupting an Inuit cultural festival special from Nunavat with breaking news, broadcasts them singing 'We Shall Overcome.' Svend Robinson rants in an interview with Pamela Wallin that the ant has gotten rich off the backs of grasshoppers, and calls for an i"