Need some advice

duxbware

Hello all,

I have been a long time viewer posted a few questions with great answers. I have a few more questions I hope someone can help me with. I just got a used boat and I am in the process of getting it set up for some great lake fishing. I don't have to much knowledge on the great lakes. I am looking into taking the boaters course( I already have my card) for safety reasons. Here is where I need some help. What wind is the best(safest) for the different lakes, Huron, Erie and Ontario. What wind do you just stay home. Secondly where are some common launching spots on Lake Ontario( never fished Ontario from a boat) Any advice and knowledge you can give me will greatly help me with this new and exciting adventure.

Thanks,

Todd. :thumbsup_anim:

I fished GB and lake O many times with my 15'er. A 20mph wind on open water and we had 5' waves. That is when i packed it in. I always found lake O to be rough. If you live close to the lake you can go then if it gets a little rough pack it in.

Knowing what you and your boat can handle is important.

Have never fished the great lakes so my experience is limited on big water.

But Nipissing can be treacherous too and has taken a number of lives and sunk it's share of boats

My advise is watch the forcast before you go and have a portable weather radio to listen to periodically. No wind direction is safe. It would depend on where on the lake you would be fishing.

Hot humid days a storm could develop that wasn't forecast. Most weather systems move in from the west but the storm could blow in from anywhere.

An eye kept on the horizon is your good friend.

Edited by Bernie

Lake ontario.... a northwind is great it blows from shore out into the lake - a small boat is o.k up to 15-20 km/h .. then use your sense and know when is enough- (this is a must look at the weather forcast for where you are fishing..

- An east or west wind up to 10 km/h with a small boat 15 to 20 km/h winds it gets pretty choppy...

- A south wind is blowing inshore 5 to 10 km/h is ideal anything more it is going to get very rough for a small boat..

YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT THE WEATHER FORCAST FOR THE AREA YOU ARE GOING TO FISH...

HAVE ALL YOUR SAFETY EQUIPMENT... RADIO..GPS.. AND A SECOND MOTOR ON YOUR BOAT LIKE A TROLLING MOTOR FOR SAFTEY.. IN CASE YOUR BIG MOTOR BREAKES DOWN.. IT'S A LONG WAY TO PADDLE

JUST BE SMART... :thumbsup_anim:

Lake Ontario - Any east or north east wind is bad news. Anything over 15 to 20km will be really rough. North wind is ok. Basically if there is a lot of wind, stay off. Lake Erie can be a wild place on a south / southwest wind. Its so shallow it kicks up fast in a wind.

I used to keep my boat in Bronte harbour and there is a free launch there. Not much parking for trailers though so you need to get there early in the AM.

Absolutely have a VHF radio and a cell phone. You NEED a VHF. Don't even think about not having one. If you get into trouble it will be a boater that saves you, not someone you can call with a cell phone. I personally have both a fixed mount (longer range) and a waterproof handheld VHF in case I end up in the water. THe handheld has a GPS and DSC (means if I get in trouble and press "the big red button" I transmit my GPS coordinates to the coast guard along with my distress signal.

You should also have a GPS. I have been out in fog on Lake O and you lose your bearings really easily. A simple handheld GPS is enough, but of course a chartplotter is best. They do make them relatively cheap and the combo GPS/sonar units are nice if you are on a budget or have limited dash space.

Irregular shoreline in a lot of places so experience with them helps. A south, south west, southeast, wind(offshore) on this side of lake erie usually means you will be ok as long as you stay near shore, say a mile some times two unless it is really blowing hard from those directions. The reverse may be true on your side.

A south, southwest wind that is fairly strong will actually push water out of some of the shallower bays on this side of lake erie. like east and west harbor. Not as critical here for us as they have mostly mud bottoms, certainly not good to hit the bottom but far less serious than if it is made of 1000 foot rocks like some of your waters.

Be aware when you go to the ramp, look at dock pilings shore line water marks and try to get an idea if the water level has dropped. Falling water levels can have a serious effect on fishing, in one of our tournaments on a back bay of lake erie (east harbor) falling water conditions meant no fish, for any one involved. Rising water level open new feeding areas to the fish so it is usually better.

25 years of going to Pointe Au Baril, Georgian Bay, very sheltered water unless you venture out to the main part of the bay so location can be a key. I have had bigger boats and smaller one, it`s hard to beat good judgment. Rough waters can make boat control and safety an issue.

When I first started to fish Erie (out of Port Maitland) the fellow at the bait shop there told me "when you see the white caps start to form, head for shore". It has worked out pretty well so far.

The guys are right about everything mentioned so far. Don't even leave the house though without a favourable weather report.

Jim