some nice scenery

BassAsin

so it's been a about a week since i've posted a report and figured i'd better get to it,

i've been fishing everyday since saturday pretty much, a buddy of mine and i walked into a speckle trout lake where we (my dad , james, and myself) have caught specks in the 1-7lb range many from 3-6. not wanting to leave a skidoo trail into the lake we decided to sled an extra 9 kms around to the base of a mountain we would have to climb to get to the lake. 2km through alder and dead ash down a dried up creek bed 12km down a hydro line and 11km across lakes swamps and down small trails, not to mention the 1km hike to the lake. so 26 km's later we never got a bite, and called it a day after 4 hours of fishing all we got was a beauty shot from the top of the mountain, it's 120feet above the small swamp at the base of the hill.

sunday i made my way into my little pickeral lake and hooked into five fish, keeping 4 of them 3 about 16-17 inches and the smaller one at 14. went all alone and had no camera so i took some photos before cleaning them. 2 came from 12 FOW and the other 3 and the one that followed my minnow up the hole were in 6 FOW, Quite a suprise to me but learning more and more about this lake everytime.

Monday was another walk into a small speck lake it was a late day not getting away until almost 1 pm, fished from 2-5 not a fish one bite but it was gone before i ever got to the line. the plan was originally a laker and whitefish day but the starter on my truck was loose so we drove to the small speck lake and walked in.

Tuesday i made my way back into my small pickeral hole and managed to MISS 4. :wallbash: not something i am used to, the bite was very very light. All 4 hits came within half hour from 545-615. just about pitch black, had a nice fire goin and some instant coffee to calm the nerves after missing my limit.

wednesday was supposed to be a day fishing for big pike, a lake where my buddy and i have caught several in the 5-15lb range on a regular basis. BUT.... half way down the backroad to the lake we came across a pontiac montana van hung up on the road. the road has been washed out/flooded for a few weeks now and he broke through the ice and was hung up to the frame, 45-50 tugs later with my poor old 92 dakota 2wheel drive and he was out thank god i carry some good rope, saved the older gentleman what would have been a 125$ tow call. I guess the unwritten rule of towing someone out of a ditch kicked in and i missed a day of fishing. lots of cutting with the chainsaw and chisel lots of tugging and getting soaking wet, it all paid off becasue when i got home i came across a 26 er of fireball in the black tool box of my truck with the letters thx written on it with pen! i didnt even know he had snuck it in there.

thursday i got away late and got into my pickeral hole again i was waiting for a friend to get out of school at 2 50 and he never showed so i left at 3 30 raced to my lake and had two lines set, a couple dry cedars bucked, split and a fire goin by 430. about 5bells and one lines goin i pulled a beauty 20 inch eye out and had one more quick hit about 5 30 by 8 30 he was joined by some rice some garlic bread and veggies. MMMM MMMM MMMM!

the plan is to get out to catch a few more this afternoon becasue i'll be back home on sunday and back to fishing pike wich is pretty well all C&R

made a nice shot of my fire and got it edited it's gonna have to get attached as a second post

enjoy,

Matt!

20_walleye_2.jpg

20_inch_wall.jpg

james_high.jpg

0222092031_01.jpg

0222092109_00.jpg

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

nice pics.

hiking for brookies can be humbling huh?

there is one particular area i have hiked into several times now because it is supposed to be a TROPHY area, and i've been skunked 3 times.

but given that you said you've got some big fish there, it's amazing how fast the disappointment of one trip turns into the motivation for another. and eating some 'eyes and washing them down with some fireball is a good way to ease the pain.

great report.

nice pics.

hiking for brookies can be humbling huh?

there is one particular area i have hiked into several times now because it is supposed to be a TROPHY area, and i've been skunked 3 times.

but given that you said you've got some big fish there, it's amazing how fast the disappointment of one trip turns into the motivation for another. and eating some 'eyes and washing them down with some fireball is a good way to ease the pain.

great report.

6lbs 10 oz

big_speck.jpg

Great report and pics Matt :thumbsup_anim:

Not too lucky on the specs side but them eyes sure look mighty fine :thumbsup_anim:

I bet ya they tasted real good :whistling:

Good on ya for helping the older gentlemen.... may have cost ya a fishing day but got rewarded to a 26er for your efforts. :clapping:

Keep it up Matt :canadian:

Looking forward to your next :Gonefishing: report

Thanks for sharing

Jacques

Great report. Love the pic with the fire in behind you (assuming it's you) holding up the walleye. The scenery from top of the "hill" is awesome. Good on you for helping out some in need as well. :thumbsup_anim:

yea thats me i was all alone i carry a small tripod all the time, i love the pic from the to of the hill we could see the smoke from the mill in town 22km away as the crow flies!

Great read man! You do some good tours, thats for sure.

Those eyes must have been sooooo gooood!!

Specks are like that. Hit, or miss. Its always a good adventure chasing them.

I hear ya about the fire too, ya gotta love a good fire!!

Sinker

Photobucket is your friend.

i'll look into that glen, thanks

Great read man! You do some good tours, thats for sure.

Those eyes must have been sooooo gooood!!

Specks are like that. Hit, or miss. Its always a good adventure chasing them.

I hear ya about the fire too, ya gotta love a good fire!!

Sinker

thanks sinker, nothing better than chasing squaretails all over the country, makes for a good nights sleep.

26km and no fish.... ?

Betcha had ya walked 27 you would have smoked 'em. lol.

Thanks for the report.

there was no way that i was walking to the far end of the lake to pop 4 holes, hahah that woulda put at the 27km mark!

i was burnt out, i didnt sleep the night before, a little too excited i think

Awesome report Matt. Livin' the dream.

I love chasing pickerel and finding where they hide, it's so rewarding. They can be in some pretty strange spots and the hot bait can be completely unexpected. A few springs ago, I got into a number of big eyes (8-12 pounds) in about 1-2 feet of water in a quiet bay on a small lake caught on 2 inch floating Rapalas :dunno: . Completely unexpected but so rewarding.