Ice fishing to get the hook

Spiel

Ice fishing to get the hook

February 26, 2009

PETE FISHER / northumberlandtoday.com

Ice fishing in Cobourg harbour will likely be outlawed in the next few weeks by Cobourg council, and could be on the agenda as soon as Monday, chief administrative officer Steve Robinson says.

On Sunday, two fishermen were seen augering holes at various locations in the middle of the inner harbour. The two men also set up a portable ice hut.

Robinson said marina manager Phil Fardella told him the same two fishermen had been fishing on the ice a few weeks earlier.

They were told at least twice it wasn't safe to be on the ice in the harbour, Robinson said, but they ignored the warnings.

Fardella gave the anglers Cobourg's current fishing bylaw passed in June, 1991 stating:

"No person shall engage in the activity of fishing in the areas of the Cobourg Harbour describes as follows:

"· the centre pier of the harbour

"· the marina berthing slips located in the harbour east basin

"· the marina fuel dock extending from the north wall of the harbour to the centre pier

"· the pedestrian walk way along the north wall of the harbour between Division Street and Third Street."

Robinson said the fishing bylaw was not written with ice fishing in mind, as people have rarely, if ever, done it in the harbour.

"The story in the newspaper obviously raised the profile and staff is looking at how we can incorporate into the fishing bylaw something that would cover ice fishing in the inner harbour," he said.

Robinson said the proposed bylaw would be to ban ice fishing in the harbour.

"We're concerned how there are creeks and storm drains entering into the inner harbour and we're really concerned about safety (of the ice fishermen). We're not only concerned about the safety, but then there is liability for the town as well," he said.

He expects the amended bylaw would be presented to council in the next few weeks.

Another example of reduced access to fishing in ON...when will it stop?

You know what, I'm betting that the guys who are actually out there drilling holes have the best assessment of the ice conditions, not the marina manager peering out the window with binoculars...

Hahaha, I heard about this too.

Typical Cobourg Bull.

I was born and raised there, and boy there are a lot of MORONS in that town.

Especially those that run the town.

And...last time I checked....20ish inches of ice is pretty safe to be on!

I think they will have a hard time enforcing this by law if they think they can put it through. They may own the harbour but they don't own the water or ice for this matter. Chances are the MNR have been informed on this and certainly will have a say in the situation.