Kangaroo Sausage

nancur373

Anyone ever eaten kangaroo? I went to the Black Angus meat shop at Lakeshore/Cawthra in Mississauga on Friday to buy some steak. Got looking in the freezers and came across kangaroo sausage. They had regular and some with jalapeno. I bought a pack of the regular ones. Threw them on the BBQ last night. I guess I should have asked the butcher how to cook them cause I dried them out a little. But none the less they were awesome. Will get more in the future that's for sure.

Curt

If you lived in the US at the beginning of the fast food boom you've eaten rooo. The US used to import all kinds of it, suspicion was it was finding its way into fast food burgers, don't know if they still do.

Urban legend.

I tried some kangaroo sausage in Aus and found it to be almost exactly like any other lean sausages.

A friend of mine back in the day took a trip to OZ and brought back this bag with him. Another one of my friends asked him what the deal was with it, friend #1 says " The locals believe that if you lick the pouch, it'll bring you real good luck" So he licked it. We laughed our guts out when he was told that it was a kangaroo... Ahh the good old days.

Roo meat is very lean. You have to do it in bacon fat or somesuch and add sauce of your choice. But, once you do that, you lose the taste of the roo. It's just one of those meats.

I would suggest a parboil and then slap it on a very hot grill for no more that 2 min per side, 4 min total!

Cooking with animal fat is not good, with bacon fat being the worst!!!

eating roo eh? did it have any "kick" lol

never tried it, nor seen it available

mmmmmmmmm.....bacon fat

everyday my grandfather used to eat 4 toast for breakfast, he would spread a thick layer of bacon fat on them (like it were peanut butter) then cover with molasses, could feel my arteries cloging just watchin him, he lived to be 86, he was a miner for 30 years aswell a farmer most of his life and was strong as an ox,