Cayo Coco, CU Write Up

highdrifter

Great report , pics and videos Highdrifter :thumbsup_anim:

Mother nature has a sick sense of humor sometimes.... too bad it did not cooperate :(

Loved to video of the ride back to the launch..... BEAUTY scene :thumbsup_anim:

and what can I say about the shot of the puffer :w00t: little tense moment there!! Super :clapping:

Thanks for taking the time to post your trip and sharing it with us :canadian::thumbsup_anim:

Merci mon ami!!

Jacques

Ah thanks mang. By decent, what do you mean exactly? I may have to just go with my instincts next time I travel there!

We landed 15-20 bass in the 1-3 pound range. My dad lost a duke that was probably close to 9, it broke the hooks off of his rattle trap.

Our guide told us to use 10 inch purple worms... I never got bit. I changed to a 7 inch Pumpkin worm and caught lots of fish casting into those mangroves. My dad saw a big boil and cast with a rattle trap and thats when he hit that pig, but the hook broke on a jump... couldnt believe it.

We landed 15-20 bass in the 1-3 pound range. My dad lost a duke that was probably close to 9, it broke the hooks off of his rattle trap.

Our guide told us to use 10 inch purple worms... I never got bit. I changed to a 7 inch Pumpkin worm and caught lots of fish casting into those mangroves. My dad saw a big boil and cast with a rattle trap and thats when he hit that pig, but the hook broke on a jump... couldnt believe it.

Really?! I was told that purple worms was the ticket also.. There's got to be something left in there.. They couldn't have possibly taken everything!!

Talk about a difference bass fishing scenario though huh?!

thanks again dude

Fly Fished last year in Cayo Santa Maria (west of Cayo Coco) from a flats boat and hooked 10 tarpon 8-40 pounds on a 8 weight. The most exciting fishing I've ever done, but very frustrating as I lost the first 9 I hooked until I finally landed a nice 20 pounder. Might be going back in Apr. I did see tarpon off a river mouth boiling that were pushing triple digits!!!

Edited by T.Barry

You're absolutely right Jamie, had I seen the red/orange on the inside of it's mouth... I'd have gotten it right the first time! ;)

I tend to lump Pinfish and Grunts together when they're that size... an insult to the Pinfish I know!!! :D

For shame, Glen.. :whistling::blahblah1:

And they did have orange in their mouth.. :blink:

You guys sure know your fish taxonomy though!

thanks

Brilliant report Fidel. Definitely want to try my hand at fishing in Cuba especially for the tarpon and cudas.

I'm amazed you actually got a hook into that needle fish.

"But master, we need your skilled hands.. My skilled hands are busy!!" LMAO