Help with my 95 xlt touring

ctdd2006

Hi everyone!

I have a 1995 XLT touring with 6k miles that I rebuilt 300 miles ago. All is virtually new! The problem I'm having is she won't fire up using the electric start. It turns over...battery is full but won't fire! Crazy thing is every time I try cranking it with the key and it doesn't start, It'll fire within two pulls of the chord!??? Any ideas? I already had someone suggest I change the ignition switch (which I did) but it didn't work! Help! It's not that big a deal, but I'd like the wife to be able to start it. I appreciate your comments. Thanks.

That is a sled? No experience with them, but if it will pull start easily but won`t key start I might look at the electric connections, wiring to the distributor from the key or starter? Key has to be in on position to start it? No safety mechanism in the seat to shut it down if the rider is thrown? Guess not if you have to get off to pull start?

my charger reads that the battery is full. I'll try with a new battery. Mine is a couple of years old. Thanks for all the advice so far.

Go back to ECMilley's comment. Is there spark when it's spinning over on the starter? It can be going round and round to beat the band, but if there's no spark due to some malfunction in the wiring, specifically the ignition switch, it ain't gonna start no how.

JF

If it is spinning over, there is nothing wrong with your battery. You need spark and fuel to start the engine, and if it starts with the pull cord, you got fuel.

Back to ecmilley's comment. Look for something wrong with the spark during the cranking.

My money is with ecmilley on this one, there is a wireing problem. Did this just start out of the blue or have you added anything into the circuit? Could be a broken wire or short but I'll bet you have no spark when trying to start it with the starter!