ALL AMERICANS TRAVELLING TO CANADA!!!

Greencoachdog

As of June 1st 2009 all U.S citizens that leave the country will need an approved passport document to reenter the U.S., birth certificates and photo ID will no longer be acceptable!

You can get into Canada with as little as a Wal-Mart reciept if you look presentable and are polite. ;)

Getting back into the U.S is a completely different story! We will be dealing with the Department of Homeland Security, they're all business and can be real asses at the slightest provocation!!!... but I don't blame them and I like the job they're doing!

This is a link to what you'll need:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Anyone that wants to enter the US will need a Passport... from any country

This is not true if you are traveling by ground transportation or sea. In New York State we have already been approved to use NYS Enhanced Drivers License. My wife and I already have one and I am trying to encourage my sons to do the same. There are a couple other border states that also have been approved by the Federal Government to issue EDL to it's resident's. But this is not the only way by ground that will be accepted at the border crossing check points.

NEXUS is also a legal form of ID to return from Canada into the US. This type of ID is also good on the Canadian side and has EXPRESS lanes for those using NEXUS passes. The problem with using the NEXUS express lane is EVERYONE in your vehicle MUST have a NEXUS pass. And I don't believe you can tow anything over with that pass. However, you should still be able to show this ID at any of the other check lanes if towing or others that are not NEXUS approved are in the vehicle.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/trusted_..._prog/nexus.xml

The NYS EDL was $30 plus $10 processing fee. This is good for the length of your license. So while we were at the DMV we extended our driver licenses for another 8 years which is a good move because our greedy governor is raising the fees on driver license and we wouldn't have to pay the increase making the EDL probably free when the increase is figured in :)

For those who are NYS residents here the site on the EDL....

http://www.nysdmv.com/broch/C159.pdf

Here's some more info....ya better get your passport early!!!.....they are predicting that there will be ~ 18 million passport applications that will need to be processed before the June 1st deadline date and delays are expected :w00t:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPLY FOR U.S. PASSPORT NOW TO AVOID DELAYS

Seattle, WA - Officials recommend that U.S. citizens apply for their passport as early as possible to prevent delays. Beginning June 1, 2009 everyone is required to have a passport or federally approved ID when traveling by land or sea. A passport is already required for international air travel, but under new legislation, travelers will no longer be able to only furnish a driver’s license and birth certificate when crossing U.S. land and sea borders. Instead, a U.S. passport or other federally approved ID will be required. As such, a record number of citizens are expected to apply for a U.S. passport close to the June 1 deadline, potentially resulting in delays in processing time. In fact, passport applications are projected to increase from 16 million to 18 million as the deadline approaches. Officials recommend applying for a passport now, as October thru December is usually when the state department receives the fewest passport applications. The State department notes that more staff has been added to alleviate long delays in processing time; however, it is still strongly recommended to apply for a passport as soon as possible. U.S. Passports are valid for 10 years, and cost $100 for an adult passport and $85 for children under 16. The passport regulations are part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. The first part of this U.S. law took effect in 2007 and required passports for all air travel, including those travelers re-entering the U.S. from Bermuda, Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean.

Someone should tell Michael Phelps before South Carolina's finest brings charges against him. We could always use a few more gold medals in the summer olympics. Hell, anyone set to ship out to Iraq could make a trip to Niagara Falls, cross the border, and stay alive awhile longer. I'm surprised they aren't lining up already.

Hell, anyone set to ship out to Iraq could make a trip to Niagara Falls, cross the border, and stay alive awhile longer. I'm surprised they aren't lining up already.

I find this offense as I have a son in the US AIR FORCE.

We have a totally volunteer military so what's your point here.......

Edited to add this has NOTHING to do with this thread.

Edited by Billy Bob

This is not true if you are traveling by ground transportation or sea. In New York State we have already been approved to use NYS Enhanced Drivers License. My wife and I already have one and I am trying to encourage my sons to do the same. There are a couple other border states that also have been approved by the Federal Government to issue EDL to it's resident's. But this is not the only way by ground that will be accepted at the border crossing check points.

NEXUS is also a legal form of ID to return from Canada into the US. This type of ID is also good on the Canadian side and has EXPRESS lanes for those using NEXUS passes. The problem with using the NEXUS express lane is EVERYONE in your vehicle MUST have a NEXUS pass. And I don't believe you can tow anything over with that pass. However, you should still be able to show this ID at any of the other check lanes if towing or others that are not NEXUS approved are in the vehicle.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/trusted_..._prog/nexus.xml

The NYS EDL was $30 plus $10 processing fee. This is good for the length of your license. So while we were at the DMV we extended our driver licenses for another 8 years which is a good move because our greedy governor is raising the fees on driver license and we wouldn't have to pay the increase making the EDL probably free when the increase is figured in :)

For those who are NYS residents here the site on the EDL....

http://www.nysdmv.com/broch/C159.pdf

Yes... if you had clicked on the link in my original post, you would see that all of that is explained... but you have to go thru pretty much the same riggamarole to get any of those, they are only good for ground and sea travel to Canada, Mexico, the Bahama's, and Caribbean Islands. They're not acceptable for Air Travel!!!

NEXUS is great for frequent travellers. I will likely be applying for a card since I cross quite often.

For Canucks trying to get into the US, I don't believe we have the Enhanced License available to us in Ontario just yet although there is talk of it. Right now we need a passport to enter the US.. be it land, sea or air.

Just got my Passport in the mail today! :thumbsup_anim: ... a little under 2 weeks from the time I submitted my application at the courthouse!

... but I think the crunch will be on again as the deadline draws nearer.

It cost me $100 + $8 for the photos, it's good for 10 yrs... so not a bad deal @ $10.80 a year.

I can travel anywhere in the world now, but I don't really see that happening... although some Marlin and Tarpon fishing in Costa Rica might be nice. ;)