What is the call on this?

Cudz

I have a friend with a few quarries. He owns the quarries and the property around them. 2 of them are stocked with fish. Can I go out fishing with him on his property in his ponds and catch rainbow trout or bass even if they are out of season. Is this illegal?

If he owns the property, then u can fish for them and keep them if u choose legally. my buddy has a pond on his property with bass, crappie, walleye, perch... and we go and fish it early in the season for bass. also had a boss with 2 stocked ponds with largies and we fished for them as soon as the ice was off the pond, his only rule was catch and release which was fine with us to be able to catch 3+ lb largies all spring and into summer before the opened.

Here's the answer directly from the MNR:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Enfor...age/198397.html - See bottom of page for the answer below.

Question Re: Private Property

I own a large parcel of land with a good sized spring-fed pond on it, the pond drains off of my land into a near-by river. I know there are fishing the pond, do I need a licence to fish in the pond and do the seasons apply on my property?

Answer:

Because your pond has an outflow the laws requiring a licence and the various fishing seasons would apply to your pond. The Ontario Fishery Regulations, which contain the rules for sport fishing in Ontario, apply to all water in the province with the exception of National Parks, waters that are licenced under an aquaculture licence and waters that occur on private lands that meet all of the following conditions:

The waters are not on a regional flood plain,

The waters lie wholly on privately owned land,

The waters are not connected to natural waters,

The waters contain water from run-off, springs, ground water or water pumped from a stream or lake; AND

The waters have been artificially created.

If the pond meets all of the list above the fish must then come from a licenced aquaculture facility or a licenced commercial fish operation; they cannot be caught by sport-fishing and transferred to the pond.

This may help...

"Question Re: Private Property

I own a large parcel of land with a good sized spring-fed pond on it, the pond drains off of my land into a near-by river. I know there are fishing the pond, do I need a licence to fish in the pond and do the seasons apply on my property?

Answer:

Because your pond has an outflow the laws requiring a licence and the various fishing seasons would apply to your pond. The Ontario Fishery Regulations, which contain the rules for sport fishing in Ontario, apply to all water in the province with the exception of National Parks, waters that are licenced under an aquaculture licence and waters that occur on private lands that meet all of the following conditions:

The waters are not on a regional flood plain,

The waters are not connected to natural waters,

The waters contain water from run-off, springs, ground water or water pumped from a stream or lake; AND

The waters have been artificially created.

If the pond meets all of the list above the fish must then come from a licenced aquaculture facility or a licenced commercial fish operation; they cannot be caught by sport-fishing and transferred to the pond.

Source....MNR FAQ Page...

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Enfor...age/198397.html

Thanks for the replies

Because there are no inflow or outflow of water and his property completely surrounds both ponds, I have to assume that this exception applies

ALso would like to thank Wallacio for the "google search" tip. Is that a new thing google search?

Thanks for the replies

Because there are no inflow or outflow of water and his property completely surrounds both ponds, I have to assume that this exception applies

ALso would like to thank Wallacio for the "google search" tip. Is that a new thing google search?

then that would fall under the exception to the rule and there is no open or closed season or liscnece required to fish there as well.

I know someone who looked into this before, I was going to answer some points but a couple people beat me to it earlier.

As long as the pond is completely on private property and there are no creeks, or adjoining waters that fill it up it does not fall under most MNR rules.

However, like stated you are not supposed to go out and catch fish to stock your own pond...do do so requires a permit from the MNR or else the fish have to be bought from a hatchery.

You would be surprized though if the pond is in proximity to other water ways and is frequented by water fowl or wading birds often sunfish and bass eggs for example are transferred from the birds and after a few years there is a population of fish in the pond