Monster Bass

diggyj

that is a huge bass and I realize in some places there are different regs than here

what bugged me was comments like...."get out there every day during the spawning season"

and also the fact that they retained a snagged fish to bring it in and get weighed ect on a rope....if that where here in Ontario, soon as the fish was put on a stringer, that's an illegally kept snagged fish :dunno:

25lbs sure is one honkin bucket for sure

Spawning season is when the big ones are at their heaviest. It's a fact of life fishing the spawn in the south and the next world record will be a spawning fish without a doubt.

The next world record was caught but the hook was on the outside of the mouth and California laws say that it has to be inside the mouth so he let it go. 'Dottie' had been watched for years by one angler and she ended up being found dead presumably dying of old age.

A 'snagged' fish in California is different than a snagged fish here. If you catch a fish with a jerkbait and the hooks pull out of the mouth or the fish get stuck outside the mouth that is a legal fish in Ontario as you weren't purposely trying to snag the fish in California your supposed to release that same fish.

I don't know. I seems to me that fishing for bass during the spawn is wrong. Basically this guy cruises the egde of the lake in the shallows and when he spots an egg laiden female he tries to entice a strike out of her, in order to get one at it's heaviest. This last catch was snagged. I think there is a difference between sportsmanship and gamesmenship.

Edited by hammercarp

That fish was worth millions in endorsements.

The way they hunted that fish was no different than hunting an animal. You pre-scout, sometime bait the area and wait for that perfect time and opportunity to take your shot. These guys spent a lot of time on the water for that one shot and got unlucky. Could be years before another one like that comes along.

Here's the follow up article

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing...ecord_bass_dies

That wasn't actual footage of them catching the fish......that was actual footage on the dock.

That guy spent 70 days in a row on the water if that's not fishing than I don't know what is. To catch the same fish 5 years later is incredible. To have a shot at pitching a jig to the Biggest Freaking Bass in the World is nothing short of astounding! But I guess your right thats not what fishing is all about.......pass me the worms and a bobber...... :lol:

That wasn't actual footage of them catching the fish......that was actual footage on the dock.

That guy spent 70 days in a row on the water if that's not fishing than I don't know what is. To catch the same fish 5 years later is incredible. To have a shot at pitching a jig to the Biggest Freaking Bass in the World is nothing short of astounding! But I guess your right thats not what fishing is all about.......pass me the worms and a bobber...... :lol:

Exciting for sure, and an admirable conquest....but fishing for spawning bass just isn`t fishing. They strike more in defense of their nest than to eat....