Maps for Garmin GPS?

johnnyb

I'm officially ready to get a chip, or some sort of software for my Garmin...don't really know where to begin, so I thought I'd plumb the depths of the OFC knowledge base.

I see that there is a Canada Topo CD-rom I can pick up for about $100 or so...and this is a 1:125,000 scale or 1:250,000...depending on where I am. The scale sounds pretty large...I don't know if it would be worth buying. I hear a lot about "chips"...are there better options?

I should mention that I'm really looking for topography first, as opposed to lake detail. I want to find the back lakes, and know where I am...unless there is something that will give me lake and land contours.

Any help is welcome....thanks :)

Edited by johnnyb

I use the same version Dan just mentioned it's pretty good. Just load them into the GPS. The best thing is that you can run the map softerware on the comp. You can even plot out routes and place waypoints then load them into your unit.

-Dave

So far, so good...I have a GPSmaps76csx by the way.

I've also found www.canadianmaps.ca which sells software based right off of the Ontario Topo Maps series, at a scale of 1:10,000...I'm thinking this is all right. they seem to pretty much be the same as the quebecGPS link Dan posted (thanks!). The dividing line seems to be right around the Sudbury-North Bay area...I just want to make sure I get all the detail up there...not half of Temagami or something, then have to buy the Northern series -- most of which I probably won't use -- just to fill in the blanks because I'm exploring in and around their dividing line.

Anybody use ibycus? They appear to be free...but I'm wary of stuff like that...don't want to be contracting a virus, or having my unit zapped because of unauthorized downloading. :dunno:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i just wanted to say that there is no "scale" per say when you are using topocanada map software. you are able to zoom in or out, and never really work at any particular traditional map scale. instead, there is an inserted scale, either in metres or km depending on your level of zoom.

johnny b, do you use torrent downloading?

bill -- good to know!

Hey Doc...just from the screenshots I'm seeing of TopoCanada vs. canadianmaps and Quebec GPS, there seems to be a lot more detail. With TopoCanada, I get the whole country, but with the other guys, for the same price I get most of where I think I'll actually use with what seems to be more detail.

No, I don't currently use torrent. What's that all about?

• 1 year later...

Attention Outdoor enthusiasts.

Backroad Mapbooks is pleased to announce the release of our maps on an SD card for your Garmin GPS unit. You can find out all about them here: www.gpsmaps.ca I invite you to take a look, ask questions, discuss and most importantly enjoy!

Expect More:

• Routable Backroads Backroads & Bush Road Systems
  • Trail Systems (Snowmobile Routes, ATV Trails & Hiking)
  • Lakes, streams & Rivers with access information
  • 1:10,000 and 1:20,000 Scale Maps
  • Wildlife management areas for anglers and hunters
  • Searchable City & Rural Streets
  • Searchable Recreation Information

Making Tracks...

Backroad Mapbooks Team

Edited by Backroad Mapbooks

Attention Outdoor enthusiasts.

Backroad Mapbooks is pleased to announce the release of our maps on an SD card for your Garmin GPS unit. You can find out all about them here: www.gpsmaps.ca I invite you to take a look, ask questions, discuss and most importantly enjoy!

Expect More:

• Routable Backroads Backroads & Bush Road Systems
  • Trail Systems (Snowmobile Routes, ATV Trails & Hiking)
  • Lakes, streams & Rivers with access information
  • 1:10,000 and 1:20,000 Scale Maps
  • Wildlife management areas for anglers and hunters
  • Searchable City & Rural Streets
  • Searchable Recreation Information

Making Tracks...

Backroad Mapbooks Team

interesting..

but I think one post per website would look better then many..it starts to look like spam

but one post could be considered relevant and informative