employment reference question

Rizzo

Not likely Beans... it's simply not worth it to a company to pursue these types of things. It's too expensive, even for companys that have legal retainers.

Most will chalk it up to experience... and some folks wonder why companies take so long making hiring decisions? You can expect the life cycle of a hire to be even longer in this economic slow down... every hire is now under a microscope.

HH

so what's the difference with a bad product/service rant...

lets take snowfari ice fishing...

basically the rant a while back has hindered his financial standing, what keeps him from turning around and sueing all the negative nay-sayers???

as a business owner, i'd appreciate someone telling me the truth about an individual and do the same to others...

If i've let someone go/or someone left, why wouldn't i share this info?

all the time/training/screw ups i've had to swallow due to an uncapable/unloyal worker, why would i want someone else to go through the same dissappointment i did?

on that note, i've never called anyone inregards to checking someone's references when hiring an individual...

my logic is the individual knows who/where he's wronged a company and therefor won't put them down as a reference anyways... now whats the point of me calling them and listen to a guy brag about how great an employee/worker he was... if he was so great, why'd he leave...

main thing i look for is loyalty... if someone is constantly changing jobs, year here, year there, there's a reason he's constantly changing jobs...

bottom line is a resume is mostly B.S./lies. you see how/what a person knows when they start working

It's a shame that all these laws/policys are in affect to protect the employee, what about the employer? buddy decides to quit, he packs his tools and leaves... if i want to let him go, it's 2 weeks notice he has to get... where is my 2 weeks notice, apparently that doesn't matter... only the dude who gets up and leaves has rights...

i know not all people are like this, but out of the 50 or so that we've had here, only 3 or 4 have given 2 weeks notice

Edited by Uncle Buck

I know not all people are like this, but out of the 50 or so that we've had here, only 3 or 4 have given 2 weeks notice

I have always given notice when leaving a job. It's only right and it was how I was raised.

It's not right to leave an employer short, unless that employer is a total :asshat: then it's OK ;)

It's a shame that all these laws/policys are in affect to protect the employee, what about the employer? buddy decides to quit, he packs his tools and leaves... if i want to let him go, it's 2 weeks notice he has to get... where is my 2 weeks notice, apparently that doesn't matter... only the dude who gets up and leaves has rights...

Wow, talk about one sided. For every employer being affected by the situation you have painted, there has got to be 1000 people that got screwed over by employers, no? Why do you think that rules are were put in place (or for that matter, unions or labour laws)?

I think that human resource types need to keep in mind that they too are only employees, and only human.

Jim