dont panic - Asian carp spotted

forrest

I can see the arms up in the air already.

A buddy of mine that knows his fish saw either the largest carp on record or an Asian Carp at Tommy Thompson park in 2007......have there been any other sightings of Asian Carp in Ontario?

forrest

Edited by forrest

I sure hope there is an emergency back-up system for that fence in case the power fails some how.

The thing that kind of frightens me, is the MNR has those little invasive species signs at most launches that show the Round Goby, Rusty Crawfish, Spiny Water Flea, Rudd, and Eurasian Ruffe, but I have yet to see one with the Asian Carp. I would like to see postings/warnings about the destructiveness of this species before it actually ends up here. It seems as though a lot of the public information/awareness is more reactive with this issue as opposed to proactive. No offense to MNR and its staff I know there are lots of field studies and research being done, but I believe the public (and average joe fisherman) can be real allies for this cause.

Why did he believe this carp he saw a year & a half ago, was an 'ASIAN' carp? Because it was big? (Not ALL Asian carp are big?) There are common carp down there that likely tip the scales at 60+ pounds. I highly doubt he would be the ONLY one, out of thousands of anglers that continuously fish that area, not to mention hikers, canoeists, kayakers, and boaters, that would spot such a fish? (THE SKY IS FALLING . . . . THE SKY IS FALLING . . . . . ??) Doesn't sound like HE panicked . . . took a year and a half to report the sighting? A few brewskis on a Saturday night have been known to perk up memories of long ago though . . . perhaps?

Why did he believe this carp he saw a year & a half ago, was an 'ASIAN' carp? Because it was big? (Not ALL Asian carp are big?) There are common carp down there that likely tip the scales at 60+ pounds. I highly doubt he would be the ONLY one, out of thousands of anglers that continuously fish that area, not to mention hikers, canoeists, kayakers, and boaters, that would spot such a fish? (THE SKY IS FALLING . . . . THE SKY IS FALLING . . . . . ??) Doesn't sound like HE panicked . . . took a year and a half to report the sighting? A few brewskis on a Saturday night have been known to perk up memories of long ago though . . . perhaps?

He did not report it (I could no figure that out, maybe they would say "OK where is it?"). He was not panicking. Asian carp have been seen elsewhere (read the article in second post). No Beer was involved.

It could be one lone fish or like you said a 60+ lb carp, he did not catch it so how could he be 100% certain?

Only wanted to get some feedback here.

forrest

Exactly what I was thinking. The two species would also be hard to confuse with each other, as they are pretty different looking. I've also seen carp in the Toronto harbour that had to be 50lbs+ (and having caught them to 40"x36", I have an idea of what a big carp looks like). It just seems seems alot more likely that it was a big common than an Asian.

If asian carp get through that electric barrier in chicago the great lakes fishery will be devestated,it will make all other invaders pale in comparison !!!! they are very worried about it,and everyone should read up on them and what they have done to hundreds of miles of rivers in the states,and they have even killed people,by hitting them in mid air,i sure hope he didnt see one,it should have been reported right away !!!! does he not know this !!! its very srious :wallbash::dunno::glare:

I've been watchin' news clips of these things for close to 2 years . . . . and reading articles. I have no doubt that somehow, sometime, in the very near future, we will REALLY be seein' 'em in Canadian waters, and I am certainly NOT looking forward to their arrival. But . . . . strangely enough, with all the hype, I have NOT read any descriptions of the fisheries where they HAVE moved in, being devastated? They sure have proliferated where they have moved in? BUT . . . our common carp are plentiful where the pickerel, pike, bass, trout etc. are . . . . they haven't wiped these fish out, have they? These Asian carp certainly are a very dangerous nuisance to boaters . . . . I saw a guy get one across his chest on one news clip, as he was SPEEDING along a waterway . . . . it knocked him right outta the boat. (Is THIS the answer to our prayers to take care of those idiot seadoo drivers?) But . . . not long ago there was a lot of screams of anguish when the dreaded gobie was discovered in our Great Lakes (THE SKY IS FALLING . . . . THE SKY IS FALLING!) . . . . this was fairly quickly forgotten about. Then they were discovered in Lake Simcoe! HORROR OF HORRORS!! The solution . . . . poison ONE stretch of ONE river flowing into Simcoe! THAT'LL FIX THE L'IL BEGGERS! All is quiet now . . . gobies are everywhere . . . there are even claims that the pickerel, perch & bass fishin' is better than ever in Lake Erie. There are lotsa 'gobie' plastic baits that work very well as bait for game-fish. Have these gobies replaced the smelt, alewife & shad that the bigger gamefish used to feed on, but apparently seemed to be getting scarce? Then there was the 'spiney water flea,' which was gonna devestate the trout & salmon fishin,' they're out there now . . . . never saw a thread complaining about them, or gobies all of 2008? I'm not at all anxious to see these carp in Canadian waters either . . . . . but . . . . IS THE SKY GONNA FALL IN WHEN THEY DO MOVE IN?

I've been watchin' news clips of these things for close to 2 years . . . . and reading articles. I have no doubt that somehow, sometime, in the very near future, we will REALLY be seein' 'em in Canadian waters, and I am certainly NOT looking forward to their arrival. But . . . . strangely enough, with all the hype, I have NOT read any descriptions of the fisheries where they HAVE moved in, being devastated? They sure have proliferated where they have moved in? BUT . . . our common carp are plentiful where the pickerel, pike, bass, trout etc. are . . . . they haven't wiped these fish out, have they? These Asian carp certainly are a very dangerous nuisance to boaters . . . . I saw a guy get one across his chest on one news clip, as he was SPEEDING along a waterway . . . . it knocked him right outta the boat. (Is THIS the answer to our prayers to take care of those idiot seadoo drivers?) But . . . not long ago there was a lot of screams of anguish when the dreaded gobie was discovered in our Great Lakes (THE SKY IS FALLING . . . . THE SKY IS FALLING!) . . . . this was fairly quickly forgotten about. Then they were discovered in Lake Simcoe! HORROR OF HORRORS!! The solution . . . . poison ONE stretch of ONE river flowing into Simcoe! THAT'LL FIX THE L'IL BEGGERS! All is quiet now . . . gobies are everywhere . . . there are even claims that the pickerel, perch & bass fishin' is better than ever in Lake Erie. There are lotsa 'gobie' plastic baits that work very well as bait for game-fish. Have these gobies replaced the smelt, alewife & shad that the bigger gamefish used to feed on, but apparently seemed to be getting scarce? Then there was the 'spiney water flea,' which was gonna devestate the trout & salmon fishin,' they're out there now . . . . never saw a thread complaining about them, or gobies all of 2008? I'm not at all anxious to see these carp in Canadian waters either . . . . . but . . . . IS THE SKY GONNA FALL IN WHEN THEY DO MOVE IN?

From the article:

The monstrous fish can grow over a metre in length and dozens of kilograms in weight, and once they establish a new home, other fish are no match. The Illinois River has become so overrun, nine out of every 10 fish being surveyed in the water are now Asian carp.

A buddy of mine that knows his fish saw either the largest carp on record or an Asian Carp at Tommy Thompson park in 2007......have there been any other sightings of Asian Carp in Ontario?

forrest

Does your friend also happen to see UFO's, Elvis, and Jim Morrison too?

.. maybe he could spot Jimmy Hoffa for us?

It's a ritual for Asian's to eat one and release one ...this has been happeing in Lake Ontario for many years off Toronto ...you can even buy live Asian Carp in Seafood shops in Toronto ...i think they should be Killing the Mississippi River Totaly ...with 98% of the fishing the the river being Asian Carp why not Destroy the river instead of all our water ways ...it't all just a matter of time ..

Does your friend also happen to see UFO's, Elvis, and Jim Morrison too?

.. maybe he could spot Jimmy Hoffa for us?

Nope and he's not a drinker or a B Ser either. He is a sensible guy.

Maybe some here on OFC do not know this:

-until recently Ontario allowed the live sale of this an other carp

-Toronto has a large Chinese community that sold these fish (maybe still do). Toronto has the 2nd largest China town in NA.

-The fish were sold for ponds, food and sometimes people release them for good luck. Maybe someone in the know can confirm this last one.

So it is not unreasonable to suspect that one is in the lake. Maybe reproducing or maybe not.

It is also possible that he was mistaken and saw an exceptionally large carp. I don't think either of us are experts on what Asian Carp look like.

Forrest

PS...a UFO is an Unidentified Flying Object of interest. I have seen plenty of them because I do not bother identifying them. :)