Advice on Float Reel

FLEX ROD

Okay foalks, all the recent posts regarding Float Reels has made me want to go out and buy one, now the question is what to buy.

I want to buy a good reel as I know that a good reel makes a heck of a difference and a good reel last my go to reels are 30 plus years old and I have had them since new.

So I want a good reel but not sure what I should be looking at spending, do I go Raven do I go Islander if so what should I be expecting to pay for it?

Help please,

Thanks - FLEX - John

Depends what you are looking for.

Islanders are prooven, and workhorse reels.

Personally I went with the Raven SST 3 for my new wheel, after using the cheap raven matrix for over a year and having nothing but great things to say about it. Some would tell you to stay away from raven stuff, others (like me) swear by it for reasonable prices and great products.

Morale of the story, you dont need to go out and blow 800 bucks on a reel to have a solid reel that will last you a long time

Thanks for the feed back, okay let me be more specific, is the Raven and the Islander like 50 dollars difference in cost?

The Raven around 300 and the Islander about 350? If this is a case which one would be the one to look at? I do not plan on spending any more than I have to to get a good reel that will last me.

Billm when you say keep up with the maintenance on the Streamside what exactly are you refereing to?

Thanks guys,

FLEX - John

Thanks for the feed back, okay let me be more specific, is the Raven and the Islander like 50 dollars difference in cost?

The Raven around 300 and the Islander about 350? If this is a case which one would be the one to look at? I do not plan on spending any more than I have to to get a good reel that will last me.

Billm when you say keep up with the maintenance on the Streamside what exactly are you refereing to?

Thanks guys,

FLEX - John

The raven will run you something like 309 and the islander more like 350 or so. Both can be had for cheaper used

I looked at both and chose the Raven, its much lighter and had a better start up than the islander...that said the islander did seem to have a certain quality of finish the raven lacked, but imo the raven was the better buy for the water that I fish.

You might pick them both up and buy the islander, its all personal preference

im on my third reel and I settled down with the Islander steelheader, best reel!! 4 to 5 hundred. dont let the price tag discourage you because if you end up settling for something cheaper then you will always wish you had that other reel.

Islander has my vote as a bullet proof reel to last. A solid, well made reel that’s easy to maintain. I’ve taken spills with it and dropped it but my Islander keeps on ticking. There’s always a few used ones floating around somewhere usually for $200-$300 (or less) and they’re usually in great condition. A few years ago, some places use to retail them for $300-$325 brand new. I think the ones with the bearing upgrades are around $100 more (at least the one’s I’ve seen for sale). Great customer service too, my friend lost his reel pouch for a fly reel and they sent him one for free.

i just started getting into float reels and my gf got me an okuma Aventa ... haven't used it yet so i can't tell you about it ...

just a heads up though, if you do end up deciding to get the raven SST3, i see a new one on ebay right now for $270 US ... too bad the canadian dollar is so weak at the moment

John,

I take it apart after a day of fishing, clean out the gunk and give the bearings a drop or two of 3in1 oil...

Maybe I am over doing it, who knows :)

John,

I take it apart after a day of fishing, clean out the gunk and give the bearings a drop or two of 3in1 oil...

Maybe I am over doing it, who knows :)

I'm probably a little off key here, as I don't own a float reel, but 3 in 1??

Doesn't this oil contain a solvent? Wouldn't a true bearring oil work better?

just wondering...

Thanks Bill

HD

I'm probably a little off key here, as I don't own a float reel, but 3 in 1??

Doesn't this oil contain a solvent? Wouldn't a true bearring oil work better?

just wondering...

Thanks Bill

HD

It could, if so I'll start using something else :)

do not use 3 in 1 oil if you plan on fishing in the cold. Sewing machine oil works good.

what ever oil you plan to use, put it in the freezer over night. If it still flows well after being in the deep freeze for 12 hours, use it. If it gets solid or fairly close, it will bind your reel in the cold temps.

RR

this is what i was told/personal experience...

i started off with a sheffield, and still using it until today..it spins nice and the start up speed is moderate.

but after playing with my friends purist II, i realized my pin is not up to par in terms of smoothness and startup speed.

in conclusion, its always good to start with a decent ($200-300)reel, then work your way up to a better one..you WILL appreciate your pin more!

some of you may disagree, just my 0.02

i use a matte black stanton, best reel ive ever used, fits my hand like a glove. The only other reel i like other then my stanton is the J.W Young purist II. built like a tank and its made to last. the stanton and purist were bought on the same day 15 years ago and they have floated every season since, not alot of people use j.w but defintally something to check out. Cant complain with the islander and streamside, both great reels, and i know guys who have had them for years without any problems.

http://www.jwyoungs.co.uk/reels.htm