Hrmmmm... it finally happened...

Gerritt

I have an old beater of a snowblower.. it is a Craftsman 6hp, 24" cut, 2stage..

It has NEVER let me down... until yesterday...

I noticed that the main auger is not working properly..... by not working properly I mean the one side is not moving at all (left side)... I assume it is seized... any remedies available? or is a new gearcase required?

G...

Shear pin maybe G??

No idea really, just mine is doing the same thing but I just took it in this morning and have not heard yet.

More snow coming, hope we get em fixed soon.

My unit is old enough that they did not use shear pins... rip your arm off or not run at all it seems... please let me know what the verdict is on your unit Steve... Thanks!

G

Looking at the auger shaft on the left it appears to have a shear bolt. Can't see it on the left.

Reach through to the back and turn the secondary stage. Observe the primary stage as you turn it. Also look on the outside where the bearing is.That shaft should turn whether the bolt is siezed or not. Take a good close look for the shear pins.

Looking at the pictures it is the auger on the right side... this unit is a hand me down... and has been in this condition for some time... I have lubed and lubed... the secondary stage moves fine as does the left side (looking head on at the blower)..

I will heat her up tonight to melt any snow... but she will not budge... where the (Looking at the unit head on) left side has some play.....

Thanks for the advice so far guys!

G

Hmmmmmm...... I did not notice what I would call a shear pin.... say on a prop... I upon further inspection there are two nuts and bolts... one on either side... are these considered shear pins?

they are intact on both sides..

G

Edited by Gerritt

Hmmmmm.... you would think if the shear bolt went, the auger would turn would it not? Sorry I know very little about these things..

Yes Gerritt. You are right. Thats why I would like to know if when you turn the secondary stage (which drives the Primary) if the shaft is turning out at the bearing.

Hmmmmm.... you would think if the shear bolt went, the auger would turn would it not? Sorry I know very little about these things..

..and why I agreed with Bill. The gear box took the failure... vs the shear bolt as the inner (drive) shaft was rusted solid to the outer (auger) shaft.

It is still possible Wayne that the auger is jammed and the shaft is turning. Seen that before too. Just wanted to verify it.

Had that happen on mine once. There was a piece of gravel seizing the auger.

The bolts are special bolts made to shear if the auger jams. DO NOT PUT REGULAR BOLTS IN!!!!!!

IF he auger is seized on the shaft the most likely problem is a busted gearcase. This would not be good.

Did you say the the side that is not turning can be moved slightly? I would remove the shear bolt on that side. It could be sheared but sort of rusted in place. Replace with a proper replacement shear bolt and try it out.

Hopefully it is just a shear bolt issue. If this fixes the problem, buy a spare incase it happens again.

I always kept a spare drive belt, clutch rubber and a pair of spare shear bolts. I would also do full maintenance in may when things warmed up. This way come next winter you're completely ready to go.

Don't forget to put some Stabil fuel stabilizer in the tank and fill it up at the end of the season. Run it for 10 minutes after adding the Stabil to get it into the carb.

There is no need for a differential it isn't going around corners. The shaft I believe is one piece through the center of the crown but it may have snapped inside. Seen where a rock or some other object jams the auger and is sometimes hard to see with ice and snow in there.

Bernie.... you are a genius! I looked again... and noticed that the nut was rusted to the auger.... the bolt was gone!! All I was seeing was a bolt head... anyways I knocked it off with a cold chisel and hammer.. and turned the secondary auger as you mentioned... low and behold I can see the shaft turning inside the seized auger!.... The auger is still not moving though... so I assume it is the bearing on the outside of the chute not allowing it to turn?

G

Bernie.... you are a genius! I looked again... and noticed that the nut was rusted to the auger.... the bolt was gone!! All I was seeing was a bolt head... anyways I knocked it off with a cold chisel and hammer.. and turned the secondary auger as you mentioned... low and behold I can see the shaft turning inside the seized auger!.... The auger is still not moving though... so I assume it is the bearing on the outside of the chute not allowing it to turn?

G

Replace the shear bolt and all will be golden.

Make sure to purchase a proper shear bolt.

Do not ues a regular bolt or you will blow up the differential if the auger jams.

016..... would the auger not spin on the shaft if the shear pin is busted?... I have stood on it (the auger on that side).. and it will not budge... something caused it to break in the first place... something seized?? I would hate to buy a new pin only to shear it too...

G